Get off the ship

Food galore

Worth checking direct with Azamara we could not two years ago due to immigration rules. There was a lot of bad feeling from some guests about this it was completely out of Azamara’s control so I’m sure they will have thought about this and tried to get it changed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A quick check on the Australia ports of call board says its a NO , you cannot get off again after going through customs and getting onboard. The post was late last year. Its an Australain Border Force regulation, nothing to do with the cruise line. Slightly different answer if you have an overnight in Sydney after embarkation.

Thank you for your answers I thought that this was true. We are staying at the Rocks so will not rush to board the ship until later in the day. Can't understand why. We have always on all our cruises got our pass card and then disembarked and explored the port. Why should passengers who are already on the ship be allowed but not new passengers?

Food Galore

If only we knew the answers why! It would appear from reading some very old threads it was allowed in the past by some cruise lines but not others, but all changed 2016 ish! This only seems applicable in Australia. We have hopped on and off at numerous embarkation ports. I would imagine security is at the forefront. However once you have handed your bags over you dont have to go through secuitity and can go walkabout until such time as you want to embark.

Is the check-in completed inside the terminal or on board of the ship? If check-in is done inside the terminal, can you check in but not physically board the ship and be OK to wander?

As for back-to-back cruisers, is this one of the ports where all passengers have to leave the ship, to "reset" the passengers to zero, i.e., they are in fact being forced to disembark and when they come back, are embarking just like you (but without the full check-in song and dance) and subject to the same "once on board you're stuck" rule?

Is the check-in completed inside the terminal or on board of the ship? If check-in is done inside the terminal, can you check in but not physically board the ship and be OK to wander?

As for back-to-back cruisers, is this one of the ports where all passengers have to leave the ship, to "reset" the passengers to zero, i.e., they are in fact being forced to disembark and when they come back, are embarking just like you (but without the full check-in song and dance) and subject to the same "once on board you're stuck" rule?

Yes, back to back cruisers in Sydney need to leave the ship to achieve a zero count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently, the Australian official view is that once you’ve embarked the ship, you’ve officially left Australia. Whether that changes if your next port is still in Australia, I don’t know. We’ve cruised from Sydney three times, with the next port being outside Australia, and each time, once we were on the ship, we were on until the next port.

This a fairly recent change. We have embarked Sydney 3x. The first 2 we checked in, dropped our carry ons and spent an enjoyable afternoon outside. The last time we were "locked in". The Australian Immigration process was fairly long and wouldn't want to have done it again, anyhow.

You can check in, get your cruise card, and then go back outside. Immigration was quick and easy last month, so go through later if you prefer. Just another option.

You could also check in carry on luggage, making sure to retain valuables, to make walking around easier.

You can check in, get your cruise card, and then go back outside. Immigration was quick and easy last month, so go through later if you prefer. Just another option.

You could also check in carry on luggage, making sure to retain valuables, to make walking around easier.

It's maybe because you are Australian, I think it's very different for people from outside your country. We were on B2B recently ending first cruise in Sydney and we were allowed to exit the ship if we wanted. There was a different lane for people on transit like us and another line for people ending their cruise. Procedures seem very strict regarding immigration, I would not take any advise except from the australian authorities.

It's maybe because you are Australian, I think it's very different for people from outside your country. We were on B2B recently ending first cruise in Sydney and we were allowed to exit the ship if we wanted. There was a different lane for people on transit like us and another line for people ending their cruise. Procedures seem very strict regarding immigration, I would not take any advise except from the australian authorities.

It’s always like that with b2b, entirely different with embarkation. I am Australian: once on you have gone through immigration you have thus exited the country (that’s immigration’s POV anyway). Different story for those on B2B who are processed by ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I tend to check in as late as possible . In some cases two hours before. I would think your hotel would hold your bags all day. Each hotel is different on that, I arrive about two hours before boarding.

For zero count I dsyni started at opera house and lunch to the gardens. Easy day.