Entering the Fjords

Hi we are going on Magnificent fjords next July. Day 1 set sail at 1600hrs, Day 2 sea day, Day 3 Flåm at 0800hrs..... Having looked on google earth it looks like Flåm is quite far into the Fjords so my question is for anyone who has been on this cruise- will we enter the fjords during the sea day? Or will it be during the night and therefore wake up to already being in Flåm? Obviously hoping during the sea day as would love to sit out on deck taking in the scenery. Thank you

Did Fire & Ice a few years ago, my first cruise, and the first port of call was Flam. Started to see land (small island/rocks) about midnight, and watched the pilot come on board, which was interesting. Was up about 6:00 am and the scenery sailing up the fjord was fantastic. I am sure you will enjoy this cruise Norway and the Fjords are beautiful. I am doing Norway's Midnight Sun on 10th June and it cant come soon enough.

At that time of year it will only be 'dark' for 3 or 4 hours... otherwise

Hopefully you'll have sunshine as we did. I couldn't stop myself from getting out of bed a few times a night and going out on the balcony to take in the view....of course on sail out it will be light all evening so you can see it again or for the first time then. Out of `16 cruises Norway fjords remains my favourite.... enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone- it makes me all the more excited. This is our first cruise and im sure from what people have told us and what we have read on these boards we are going to love it.

Have a brilliant cruise Jarra23- and yyztravels i think we are going to keep waking up in the night too to take in the scenery

Again thanks for all your replys.

Hi Sarah

My wife and I have been to Flam a few times it is beautiful

Be sure to go on the Flam railway

And have pancake on top of the mountain with all the snow.

It’s our favourite place in the world

It’s a 100 miles inland so a lot to see on the way there

Have fun

Tony & Sandra

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had our first glimpse of the fjords Aug 14 on Spirit Fire and Ice, so went on Fred to explore that coast March 16 doing Norway Winter. Want to go back so much we have booked Midnight Sun for June on Discovery.

Be prepared to wrap up warm and spend a lot of time on deck enjoying the scenary.

Gill

The organised trip at Flam is really good - when we did it, a few years ago, the coach took us to see many waterfalls and spectacular scenery, then lunch is Voss - afterwards we travelled by main line train from Voss to Myrdall to join the Flam Railway back down to the village and ship.

A great day and well worth the cost.

The organised trip at Flam is really good - when we did it, a few years ago, the coach took us to see many waterfalls and spectacular scenery, then lunch is Voss - afterwards we travelled by main line train from Voss to Myrdall to join the Flam Railway back down to the village and ship.

A great day and well worth the cost.

I am researching the day Norward in a Nutshell Tour. This sounds like the one I have seen, but in reverse.

Did you book it with a private tour company or was it a ship's tour.

I would love to hear more about it. Was the lunch good and did you have good views from the restuarant?

Were you on flatter ground while in the coach and then climbed up to Voss station?

That's "Norway in a Nutshell". Expensive but well worth it. Amazing Norwegian buffet lunch.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Have you done the Norway in a Nutshell tour Malch_UK? Again, did you do a ship's tour or did you book it with a local tour company.

I would love to hear more about your day :)

We did the Thomson tour - the coach journey to Voss was very much tunnels, hills, waterfalls, many hair-pin bends etc, but spectacular. The lunch was buffet, but very good - we then walked to Voss station, regrettably when in Voss we had a real downpour, so everyone tried to cram in the little shops for shelter, but it did pass before we walked to the station.

I would say it was probably the best trip we did on the cruise.

Have you done the Norway in a Nutshell tour Malch_UK? Again, did you do a ship's tour or did you book it with a local tour company.

I would love to hear more about your day :)

Yes, it was a ships tour. All the cruise lines do a similar one. It can go in either direction on the day depending on which trains they can get seats on. Up on the train and down on the coach or vice versa. As Ormy says, It is a very good tour and a full and interesting day. And the Flam railway is not just a train ride. There is a surprise at the halfway station so be sure to get off with your camera.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Well Martin and Lindsey you will certainly not be disappointed with the ships excursion, lots go DIY, but with the organised trip you get much more - the guide/drivers info is very interesting and the coach trip is great.

Enjoy !