QM2 dress code for women

chloe kitty

I went to a wedding where the bride's mother wore a cardigan and flip flops......She wasn't disrespectful, she just didn't have a clue about style. There are women out there who just see clothes as something functional and regard a ball gown in the same way as a blouse and trousers. It's just the way they are. I find this whole thread akin to bullying. Or perhaps women that don't dress like a Vogue fashion plate should be banned from Cunard?

I went to a wedding where the bride's mother wore a cardigan and flip flops......She wasn't disrespectful, she just didn't have a clue about style. There are women out there who just see clothes as something functional and regard a ball gown in the same way as a blouse and trousers. It's just the way they are. I find this whole thread akin to bullying. Or perhaps women that don't dress like a Vogue fashion plate should be banned from Cunard?

I agree, wear what makes you feel happy and don’t worry about it. I can’t stand clothes snobbery and anyway it’s wasted on me, because I can’t tell my uggs from my wellies 😂

So we’ll said!

Most American women do not own ball gowns so if Cunard wants our many, many dollars they and the clothes snobs will take us the way we come.

Personally we will AVOID all formal occasions on the QM2 and certainly not miss them.

There are women who have osteoporosis or rheumatoid diseases and dresses present insurmountable dilemmas - (not to mention the flat heel, comfortable shoe that must be worn to ward off pain and hidden) and the dressy pants fulfil the need to dress with comfort and style.

So many of us are much more than the dress you think you see - we are just enjoying the cruise and have every right to enjoy a CUNARD cruise too.

Cheers, Rose

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally understand your position.

I have been referring to the drop in standards, by many ladies attending the formal nights in the Britannia Restaurant, by just wearing "simple plain trousers and top". More of an effort should be made. One is on a fantastic cruise ship and one has the opportunity to really dress up, yet many ladies didn't seem to make the effort.

I also agree.

I've never really understood why anyone but a masochist would want to cruise on a line that is so well known for being the most formal of all the lines if they have such a dislike for dressing up. The formality of Cunard is one of the reasons why we much prefer it over the more casual lines.

DW always takes along a different long gown for every formal night (and doesn't mind being complemented ;)).

And some people have an education and some don't. Some people bath regularly and some don't, some swear in public and some don't and so on adnausium. The real situation is one generally tries to seek their own level of comfort and to date Cunard has managed to maintain a decent level in attire and level of passenger discourse. Not so for a number of other lines where the lady at the wedding would be way more at home.

Dear Onehappystudio;

Welcome to your first Transatlantic! May 10 will be our sixth, and despite the original poster's unhappy experience, we have always found that the vast majority of people in the MDR seem to have fun with the opportunity to get dressed up. Assuming that you are not talking movie stars red carpet "who is she wearing" sort of gear for the informal nights, you will not be out of place wearing a long dress. Likewise, on informal nights you would be perfectly at home in dressy trousers and a pretty top. Just enjoy yourself!

Karen

Oh for crying out loud! Let people interpret the dress code how they see fit and wear their pants and nice tops and house dresses if that’s what they enjoy. Please don’t be ‘dressier than thou’ and spend your cruise time being embarrassed about what others are wearing. That might be misconstrued as snobbish.

This thread is unfortunately looking more and more like a female verson of the countless posts from men who complained about having to wear a dark suit or worse yet, a Tuxedo on formal nights. I had aways thought that the ladies showed far better taste than those men when it came to wearing appropriate dress, but ... :rolleyes:

I also agree.

I've never really understood why anyone but a masochist would want to cruise on a line that is so well known for being the most formal of all the lines if they have such a dislike for dressing up. The formality of Cunard is one of the reasons why we much prefer it over the more casual lines.

DW always takes along a different long gown for every formal night (and doesn't mind being complemented ;)).

Possibly one reason might be because QM2 is the only way to cross the Atlantic if you don’t like flying.

You got that one right!
Actually no. There are several other lines that make one or more transatlantic crossings during the year. Cunard is just the only one that makes regularly scheduled crossings throughout most of the year. That translates to Cunard/QM2 probably being most convenient for Southampton to NY crossings - but hardly the only one.

Actually no. There are several other lines that make one or more transatlantic crossings during the year. Cunard is just the only one that makes regularly scheduled crossings throughout most of the year. That translates to Cunard/QM2 probably being most convenient for Southampton to NY crossings - but hardly the only one.

If you look at Atlantic crossings, as I have done in some depth, the other crossings tend to be repositioning cruises, which means you might be able to get one way, but can’t then get back to your home country without a flight. They also tend to be at the wrong end of the season, if you want to visit the USA. The US cruise lines come over to the UK, or more likely Europe, during Spring and return around late October, so yes QM2 is really the only choice for a non flying holiday to the US.

Queen Mary 2 crosses the Atlantic many times throughout the year. Completely different than the repositioning cruises that other cruises lines do.

Granted that the timing of the QM2 Transatlantic crossing schedule is far more convenient for the average UK-US or US-UK traveler. However, "repositioning" cruises do cross the very same Atlantic Ocean with paying passengers on board cruises that are advertised as "Transatlantic" crossings. It's all a matter of semantics

Like many cruisers on here we wanted to cruise with Cunard and we had neither dinner suit nor evening dress, so we did a bit of a sneaky thing that some others never think of doing - we went out and bought the clothes. Now how clever is that.

Instead of skulking around the ship trying to avoid all the "out of bounds" areas, we went everywhere - in style, like the vast majority of passengers.

Such a simple solution.

On board QM2 right now, having a wonderful time [emoji126].

We are on our 4th day today and have already had 2 (TWO) formal nights with many more to come. The purchase of AN outfit to fulfil the requirements should be a simple thing, never so simple for women tho. Some tell me this single outfit can be balanced out with beads and scarves for the duration of the cruise [emoji848]

Others say try coats of various colours if I only wish to wear pants .....

BUT - now I am aboard the magnificent QM2 (and I’m sure it will apply to all the Queens) I have discovered that formal night choices for ladies attire ranges from the divine to the sublime to the ridiculous. 🤪

So, just don the glad-rags and enjoy yourself, whomever you are just as I am now.

Cheers from QM2, [emoji257][emoji257]

In Australia is almost impossible for mature age ladies to find long ball gowns and even more difficult for men to buy tuxedos.

When we cruised on the QE all the women I saw dressed very elegantly especially in the Queens Room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Australia is almost impossible for mature age ladies to find long ball gowns and even more difficult for men to buy tuxedos.

When we cruised on the QE all the women I saw dressed very elegantly especially in the Queens Room.

Ebay is a godsend when it comes to buying cocktail dresses etc.

There are some absolute bargains with lightly worn and new dresses at a fraction of shop prices. All budgets, tastes and shapes are catered for. Accessories as well.

I even persuaded my husband to buy a tuxedo on eBay. He wasn't very keen but is really pleased with the suit.

If you're pretty confident regarding size and know what suits you, I don't think you can fail. I'm a bit of an eBay addict. [emoji126]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app

Ebay is a godsend when it comes to buying cocktail dresses etc.

There are some absolute bargains with lightly worn and new dresses at a fraction of shop prices. All budgets, tastes and shapes are catered for. Accessories as well.

I even persuaded my husband to buy a tuxedo on eBay. He wasn't very keen but is really pleased with the suit.

If you're pretty confident regarding size and know what suits you, I don't think you can fail. I'm a bit of an eBay addict. [emoji126]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app

That might be ok for some people. I can’t buy clothes online as I’ve had problems in the past of the sizes being wrong and not fitting correctly.

It makes it even more difficult being short as they usually need to be altered.

Edited by cruisine21

Many online retailers offer free returns and exchanges. They even include a return label to use if the size isn't right.

If online shopping isn't for you then fine. But somebody who lives in a remote rural area can acquire nice clothes for a reasonable price and with little effort. What bride would use "scarcity of bridal shops" as a reason for not wearing an appropriate dress? When one really doesn't want to even try any excuse will do.