Help me understand MSC

Beachiekeen

This is not necessarily true for MSc. When I sailed divina in fantastica I did not receive my requested dining time. I waited in line day one for quite a long time to meet with mAitreD and was told it was “not possible” to change dining times or number of people assigned to table. Just don’t want anyone fantastica surprised.

Happy sailing

So true, BB! What MSC promise on their website doesn't always translate to what you'll experience onboard; and if you point it out to anyone, you get that Med "shrug" attitude (very Italian - but also applies to the French, when it becomes the 'Gallic' shrug).

Do they have experiences on Divina too? We didn't have them four years ago.

I would not be worried about low pricing. MSC always offered very competitive fares in Caribbeans to compete with usual mass market.

They tried "Flexi-dining" on Meraviglia which was (crazily enough!) that you were assigned "Early" or "Late" and could arrive anytime between the hours set for your assigned time. What happened was that most of those on 'Early' arrived at the latest time and most of those on 'Late' arrived at the earliest, which caused chaos.

However, it specifically states on the "Experiences benefits" chart that Fantastica bookings get priority in choice of sitting under the heading of 'Flexibility'. Just click on the 'Compare Experience' tab on the following link:

http://www.msccruises.ie/en-ie/Cruise-Deals/Our-Fares.aspx

Another piece of information regarding dining for Fantastica guests can be found by clicking on "Read more" under the 'Fantastica' Experience on that page:

• More dining flexibility. You can switch your preferred dinnertime after booking or after boarding.

Thanks. It says priority for fantastica balcony and fantastica suite guests only. Maybe this is at least what MSC honors?

Ivi

While on the subject of whether or not fantastica is worth it, have we figured out if BOTH delivery and the cost of food items are included in fantastica?

Because this thread title does not specify that it relates to Seaside (or any other MSC ship which sails the Caribbean) I can say, with certainty (and experience) that the food items on the room service menu are for charge when booked in a Fantastica cabin - the delivery is free. I've even posted photos on several threads showing the menus and prices.

You see, it's easy to post FACTUAL information - it just may not apply to ALL MSC cruises.

Thanks. It says priority for fantastica balcony and fantastica suite guests only. Maybe this is at least what MSC honors?

Ivi

It says priority, not guaranteed:(. MSC is not great when it comes to accurate communication.We were in fantastica balcony and were denied both time and table size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because this thread title does not specify that it relates to Seaside (or any other MSC ship which sails the Caribbean) I can say, with certainty (and experience) that the food items on the room service menu are for charge when booked in a Fantastica cabin - the delivery is free. I've even posted photos on several threads showing the menus and prices.

You see, it's easy to post FACTUAL information - it just may not apply to ALL MSC cruises.

Thank you for that- GB was insistent both were free and i never did see proof :).

As we both know, it’s a moving target with MSC. Sometimes I have posted what was factual for me only to have it not be factual for someone else on the same exact sailing on the same ship :)

Gotta love them :)

Thank you for that- GB was insistent both were free and i never did see proof :).

As we both know, it’s a moving target with MSC. Sometimes I have posted what was factual for me only to have it not be factual for someone else on the same exact sailing on the same ship :)

Gotta love them :)

BB ... sometimes I've started a response to a post with a challenge to the information, only to realise that it related to Divina (and, now, Seaside) and have to delete it as I have no experience of sailing on either ship from Miami (I did the TA on Divina to Miami - things are done differently even on TAs LOL). I then cancel the post as I realise the point I was going to make may not apply.

After 18 cruises on MSC, I still get stuff wrong on here! It's why I read almost everything posted on the forum - so I know what to expect on my upcoming cruise - even though there's only usually 12 weeks between cruises LOL!

It says priority, not guaranteed:(. MSC is not great when it comes to accurate communication.We were in fantastica balcony and were denied both time and table size.

Did you have confirmed dining times in your booking? Were you triying to change them? Now I am wondering what we are going to experience when we board our ship in April. I wish I would have known before about this changes on the fantastica experience. I would have saved some money and just booked Bella. The room service is from our perspective not worth it.

Ivi

Did you have confirmed dining times in your booking? Were you triying to change them? Now I am wondering what we are going to experience when we board our ship in April. I wish I would have known before about this changes on the fantastica experience. I would have saved some money and just booked Bella. The room service is from our perspective not worth it.

Ivi

To be honest, I don’t recall if our times were confirmed prior to sailing or not. I was trying to get moved to a table for two and preferred early dining but would gladly stay at late dining. Or I offered to go to an earlier dining at an large table. Basically I was assigned late (wanted early) and was given large table (wanted two top). I would have been happy with any switch so I could get one of my requests if not possible. I even offered to be moved to either dining room- whatever would make it easiest on MSC. However; It was “not possible.

Just as it was “not possible” to get a pizza with mushroom an onion when i was in YC. No biggie, we picked off toppings, just strange given the last choice on the menu was “create your own”. We just laughed it off as “create your own as long as it’s one of the choices we offered”. The yc conceirge was nice about it. Again, not a big deal, but on both sailings we were told “not possible” more than once. Just don’t want anyone totally surprised if it happens to you.

Even with the “not possible” theme, MSc can be a great value vacation and I’ll continue to chose them as long as they price significantly less than the nearest comp. The key is about having realistic expectations:)

Happy sailing :)

BB ... sometimes I've started a response to a post with a challenge to the information, only to realise that it related to Divina (and, now, Seaside) and have to delete it as I have no experience of sailing on either ship from Miami (I did the TA on Divina to Miami - things are done differently even on TAs LOL). I then cancel the post as I realise the point I was going to make may not apply.

After 18 cruises on MSC, I still get stuff wrong on here! It's why I read almost everything posted on the forum - so I know what to expect on my upcoming cruise - even though there's only usually 12 weeks between cruises LOL!

I don’t think you should worry as much about specific ships. The MSc “experience” is more alike than differ among the fleet when comparing ships of similar age. You have much to offer.

Just like other main stream lines, comparing getaway to breakaway to jade yields a much closer experience than comparing breakaway to the spirit (oldest in ncl fleet). All oasis class ships are similar. They are even VERY close to freedom and voyager class (like divina is similar to seaside). What is likely to yield different results is comparing oasis class to vision class.

I guess what I’m saying is that i completely disagree with those who suggest that your (or my) opinion is not valuable because you/we haven’t sailed Seaside specifically. Those of us who have sailed MSC know that the glitches experiences on seaside have been similar to glitches on divina (and orchestra before her). The only real difference I see with seaside is the fecal smell and limited dinner buffet ;-).

I have not sailed MSc in Europe. It does appear that MSc experience is different based on embarkation port, but all of the ships that have sailed out of Florida have common complaints and common kudos. People thinking seaside is going to be significantly different are just inexperienced with the product as a whole :).

Edited to add- I’m not suggesting that the first and most relevant opinion is that of those that have actually sailed Seaside. They are number one:).

But the rest of us who have followed MSc for years (MANY of you far more knowledgeable than myself) have reasonably valuable input also and should not be told that their experience isn’t relevant.

Ivi

We join Seaside on Saturday. I'm sure that when we booked we had anytime dining on our Fantastica balcony. We have requested a 2 top for our 7:45 dining so when we get back I will let you know how we get on.

Having seen the weather forecast for the time we are away, winds from Siberia I think, the dining situation seems less of a problem!

Jim

This is not necessarily true for MSc. When I sailed divina in fantastica I did not receive my requested dining time. I waited in line day one for quite a long time to meet with mAitreD and was told it was “not possible” to change dining times or number of people assigned to table. Just don’t want anyone fantastica surprised.

BB ... I think it depends on the mood of the Matre`D on a given day.

BB ... I think it depends on the mood of the Matre`D on a given day.

Isn't that the truth! Discrepancies in policies happen on all cruise lines, but those of us who appreciate MSC as a value based experience realize we should be ready for more discrepancies than might be normally expected. The other main stream lines sailing from Florida have pretty consistent policies overall. I do cut MSC a break because I believe they have lack of common languages as a significant obstacle.

Ivi

That basically was the reason we booked the Bella. The balcony location for us was good with the Bella experience, and the only other extra was room service. Which I thought the room service was free for Fantastica guests (my daughter ordered on her Divina sailing and didn't have a charge for it, though perhaps they ordered items without a cost?). Though since we never tend to order room service, and our booking had a free drink package the Fantastica cost made no sense whatsoever. We also didn't have kids to worry about those supposed perks either.

We tend to prefer late dining and so far haven't had an issue getting that with either of our MSC cruises on the Divina. Though I wonder if our upcoming sailing if we will be dining with others as we have three in our group.

Isn't that the truth! Discrepancies in policies happen on all cruise lines, but those of us who appreciate MSC as a value based experience realize we should be ready for more discrepancies than might be normally expected. The other main stream lines sailing from Florida have pretty consistent policies overall. I do cut MSC a break because I believe they have lack of common languages as a significant obstacle.

Sometimes is not a question of language but of the attitude with which people request something. Our experience with MSC cruises are with friendly, easy going Italians, who will try to accommodate as long as one is not arrogant and demanding because one believes is entitled to something. If they cannot accommodate, this means it was not possible. I love Italy, and I enjoy my cruises with MSC because it reminds me so much from that beautiful country. Ciao

Ivi

If I have the aurea experience and have anytime dining does that mean I can go anytime or can I make reservations for 6:00 every night?

It depends on what time the dining room opens at. Dining times in MDRs vary from ship to ship. If it's open at 6pm, there is no problem going at that time every night. We had the same table every night at the same time (I think it was 6.30pm) for a total of 31 nights on Sinfonia back in 2016 with an Aurea booking.

This is unusual. The Fantástica experience ensures that you have priority regarding dining time and location. Were your friends given a reason why they were not given a table on the MDR? Is there a possibility you can find out? I think you are still on the ship?

Besides the MDR there is also another Restaurant on ships like the Preziosa. I do not remember the name of the restaurant but fantastica passengers were also given tables there.

Ivi

I believe it is called Arabesque on Preziosa and may be at as I think I saw wake views in a review. We are on Preziosa in August/ September for 23 nights in Scandinavia/ Northern Europe

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Forums mobile app

Calgary ... Aft pool is on Deck 7.

Aurea gives you my choice dining which means you can go at anytime the Seashore Dining room is open.

Every experience below Yacht Club gets free breakfast delivery, Aurea with Deluxe drink package also gets free delivery and food.

Fantastica gets free delivery but has to pay for any food.

Bella does not get free delivery Part from Breakfast.

There is a charge for pizza delivery.

In Fantastica, breakfast is free unless you order the breakfast sandwich, which is $3. We didn't order any other room service.

Do they have experiences on Divina too? We didn't have them four years ago.

I would not be worried about low pricing. MSC always offered very competitive fares in Caribbeans to compete with usual mass market.

Yes, they have experiences on Divina as well.

But what happens on Divina has nothing in common with what happens on Seaside.

So we can order off a menu--the buffet is not our only option? When do you know where you will be assigned?

If I go up one level, are we assured a table in a regular dining room?

This whole thing is just very confusing at first glance and I would hate to have a surprise once I get there.

The reviews on the buffet that becomes a MDR have been very good. People have had better service and atmosphere than the MDR, with the same menu.