food on msc magnifica

miketriton

Food - and one's opinion about food on cruise lines - is very subjective and IMO should be taken with that in mind. It is difficult to know what you like in comparison to the one who is providing their opinion on a review.

My understanding from what I have heard with MSC, however, is that as an Italian based company, there is more of a European style to their cuisine as compared to most mas market cruise lines that are US managed with more of a varied international style. Maybe that has an influence on some of the reviews?

But perhaps others can comment as I have not yet sailed on MSC so I have no direct experience on which to base a view - and my main point with this post is with regards to subjectivity with food reviews. :)

Expect the same food and dining routine as you find on US/UK ships and you'll be adding to the negative reviews.

But google "recensioni di crociera MSC", and even if you don't speak Italian you'll see from review stars that Italians' reviews of MSC are as good as or better than US or UK ships.

Dinner is a long-drawn-out affair, lots of little courses, lots of pasta.

Servers are more reserved than those on US ships, about the same as on P&O. Some see this as unfriendly, but it isn't.

MSC haven't been great at adjusting things to suit US/UK tastes & styles, but go with the flow and if you like Italian food you'll enjoy.

We sailed Maginfica when she was brand spanking. Beautiful & stylish ship, excellent entertainment to suit all tastes & mother-tongues.

No, we weren't keen on the food. But we prefer the "exported" version of Italian food, which isn't the same as in Italy. Same with other countries' cuisines. For our tastes, the worst pizza we had was in Naples, worst Bajan in the bayou, worst gazpacho & paella in Algeciras, worst Indian in a pukka Indian restaurant, etc.

As others have said, it's subjective.

But the quality on Magnifica is broadly up to scratch

JB :)

I did read a report somewhere- perhaps on here- that MSC was trying to adjust their food on sailings out of S'ton to the British/Irish tastes (oh, no, not the Marmite again... :) ) Perhaps if you Google: food MSC UK, you might find it. I can't remember what they were offering now, but I'm sure I read it within the past few months...

Oh, I managed to find out a little bit, and YES!- Marmite ;p was mentioned, along with HP sauce and Yorkshire tea... That'll get the punters in... :rolleyes:

I reckon there'll be plenty of choice in restaurants and buffet. :D