My Review / Suggestions

Tahitianbigkahuna

Howdy once more!

OK.....getting ready to book for 14 days in August. :D

Can not dredge up your suggestions on cabins/decks. I don't need a balcony but would enjoy seeing the passing scenery. Money is not a big deal - mostly I want to be "in the mix" and enjoy the other guests, the crew, the locals, etc., etc.

Been an anthropologist all my life but that is NOT going to influence my attitude toward this trip! This is for fun. As always, look forward to hearing from you.

Pops

Just my opinion--a balcony is not worth the uptick in price on this ship. The single time I had one, we seldom used it because it was too hot.

You will spend very little time in your cabin on the Paul Gauguin--save your money for excursions or a nice pre-cruise stay on Moorea of something.

We also have been on the PG 4 times. We have been on deck 3,4 and 7. Our favorite it deck 4, the cabins have nice big windows so you can see out but you save a lot of money [emoji383]. Like others have said you will spend most of your time on deck and doing other things. So save the money and book a cabin on deck 4. Have a great trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I trust this big THANK YOU goes both to Tahitianbigkahuna and Wendy. Very helpful. Yep...I am that early-riser and so will plan accordingly.

Pops

You're welcome! Just to say that I concur that deck 4, mid-ship is the perfect cabin. Remember, the balcony cabins are the same size, just with the balcony added on.

And as an anthropologist, you will have a blast. Try to get to the museum on Tahiti, the Museum of Tahiti and her Islands, And cross your fingers that Mark Eddowes will be onboard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

May I just add my thanks for the work you put into this thread. I started reading it last year and have, this week, returned to finish it, starting all over again at the beginning. It's packed full of information and is a visual delight.

I loved having all the information together in one thread.

Well done!

May I just add my thanks for the work you put into this thread. I started reading it last year and have, this week, returned to finish it, starting all over again at the beginning. It's packed full of information and is a visual delight.

Well done!

Thanks for the kind words ... I would of re-titled this thread if I could. The thread is more about tips and suggestions than an actual review of the PG. Love to be of help :)

Well done!

I concur. It was a joy to find and I know whether we choose a land vacation or a cruise/land combo, I will come back to it for the wealth of information.

I concur. It was a joy to find and I know whether we choose a land vacation or a cruise/land combo, I will come back to it for the wealth of information.

I've done both .... however, if you were to add everything up the cruise is a bargain. Lagoon front, free entertainment, luxury dining, private motus, included bar tab, transfers ... Now go price that at a land resort, a nice one, add all the extras including inner island flights .... hard to beat the price of a PG cruise.

The thing I love most is all the islands you get to visit in one trip. A combo is nice when you want to return to a island you fell in love with on the cruise. A 3 night pre/post stay at an island you fell in love with, along with a new cruise itinerary so you see new islands is the perfect scenario IMO.

Keep in mind on many PG itineraries you get almost 2 days on two of the favorite islands .... Moorea and Bora Bora. I can do several things in two days. This plays into the hand of many of the itineraries ... you get double days on Moorea and Bora Bora and then visit island(s) you have not been two.

I've done both .... however, if you were to add everything up the cruise is a bargain. Lagoon front, free entertainment, luxury dining, private motus, included bar tab, transfers ... Now go price that at a land resort, a nice one, add all the extras including inner island flights .... hard to beat the price of a PG cruise.

The thing I love most is all the islands you get to visit in one trip. A combo is nice when you want to return to a island you fell in love with on the cruise. A 3 night pre/post stay at an island you fell in love with, along with a new cruise itinerary so you see new islands is the perfect scenario IMO.

Keep in mind on many PG itineraries you get almost 2 days on two of the favorite islands .... Moorea and Bora Bora. I can do several things in two days. This plays into the hand of many of the itineraries ... you get double days on Moorea and Bora Bora and then visit island(s) you have not been two.

All good points. I keep weighing the pros and cons: cruising experience and getting to see all the islands versus resort experience and more time at just 2 islands, possibly 3. Fun problem to have for sure! :)

Teking does a good job but there is no way to know if you will be in his boat though he will always be the captain of one of the boats. Teking is fine, just a bit macho at times which isn't a big deal to me but some gals my find it a bit offensive. Remember your in a different culture where men play a more dominate macho roll.

Lunch on the motu Teking style ... BBQ'd fish, BBQ'd chicken, fried bananas, bangers, fried taro chips (yum) and a assortment of salads plus coconut cake for desert.

BBQ%20grill%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-tL5zGQK/0/42bf1bfd/X2/BBQ%20grill%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

Lunch%20on%20the%20motu%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-bxpnpDD/0/6e2d4503/X2/Lunch%20on%20the%20motu%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

No ground oven but very tasty and the setting is very nice in a covered picnic area on Motu Maina.

teking-L.jpg

TBK. Your review is fabulous. Thank you. This is our first trip. For Aitutaki, Trip Advisor mentions a Vaka Cruise. Has anyone compared this to the Teking excursion and which one is recommended? Both are very similar and same pricing. Crox 7/7 PG Cruisor.

TBK. Your review is fabulous. Thank you. This is our first trip. For Aitutaki, Trip Advisor mentions a Vaka Cruise. Has anyone compared this to the Teking excursion and which one is recommended? Both are very similar and same pricing. Crox 7/7 PG Cruisor.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Have taken both .... TeKing is a bit more snorkeling, Vaka is about relax and a lunch on One Foot Island. The Vaka is slow and takes in the scenery with a few stops for snorkeling and the old flying boats refueling spot some 50 years ago. As I said both are good .... if your more into snorkeling take TeKing .... if your into just realx inad enjoying the lagoon scenery take Vaka ;)

Does anyon know if PG deviates from there iteniary, i.e. Instead of landing in Aitutaki on 7/10, goes to Rorotonga, then back to Aitutaki? Reason, if book Tekings tour and the days shift, then we probably would loose this excursion.