Luggage Forward question

pno4te

I posted this on the MSC Boards but got no reply, so thought I would reach out to the larger group...

We need to ship something heavy (and previously approved by MSC) to the Seaside in April. We have read a lot about Luggage Forward but haven't seen many first -hand accounts. I noticed tonight that there is a link to the service on the MSC site and now we are once again looking into using this service.

Has anyone successfully used this company?

I use a luggage service for most cruises.

While I don't use luggage forward from time to time just like other services which I do use (Luggage Free and Luggage Concierge) people do ask about Luggage Forward and the comments have been positive. Because they all charge a good amount most times I have seen the questions are on the luxury cruise line boards.

Keith

I use a luggage service for most cruises.

While I don't use luggage forward from time to time just like other services which I do use (Luggage Free and Luggage Concierge) people do ask about Luggage Forward and the comments have been positive. Because they all charge a good amount most times I have seen the questions are on the luxury cruise line boards.

Keith

Thank you, Keith! I am assuming since you use this type of service on a regular basis you have had excellent luck with your luggage being delivered as promised. My husband requires a prescription liquid diet and we have to travel with it. It is heavy and I would rather not have to deal with an additional suitcase if at all possible. This seems like a wonderful solution as long as it is reliable.

Elin, you are very welcome.

I have had good results.

We ship often to the ship and often ship items going back home.

We have found them to be reliable.

What I would recommend is calling them to verify whether or not you can ship the liquid diet items. Within the USA is probably OK but I would think not outside the USA. Normally if it was a prescription pill that is something you would not ship. Again I would call them.

Keith

Elin, you are very welcome.

I have had good results.

We ship often to the ship and often ship items going back home.

We have found them to be reliable.

What I would recommend is calling them to verify whether or not you can ship the liquid diet items. Within the USA is probably OK but I would think not outside the USA. Normally if it was a prescription pill that is something you would not ship. Again I would call them.

Keith

MSC has already accepted his prescription requirement and we have actually taken it onboard two other cruises ourselves. It is just heavy and this is a longer cruise. Since we live in the USA and are shipping to Miami, it ought not be a problem. But I will double check. Thanks again.

Elin, you are welcome.

One other piece of advice.

The company will let you know a recommended pick up date based on when the ship embarks.

If they store the items in a locked locker (which the other companies do) I would pad the date by having the pickup a week or so earlier. This just provides extra time which I always think is wise.

Keith

My only concern would be, if there is any issue with the shipment what could you do to replace it in Miami. Rather like carrying essential meds on our person rather than in luggage.

And that is our main concern. I have found posts on the more "luxury" boards that deal with Luggage Forward. I feel if I can discover if there is an update that the luggage has arrived at the port or ship we would be OK. Or if we discover that it is "lost" we would be able to pack 9 more days of his food into another suitcase and take it with us. I will update it when I get an answer (I plan to call them directly).

Yes, do call them...although we're in the UK, we use a handling company, and they state no alcohol, tobacco or medicines can be carried...it might be very different with your company, and I doubt that what you are sending would really come under medicine, but you will feel easier if you have spoken to them

Have a wonderful cruise. x

After talking to Customer Service I have been informed that this item is organic and they cannot ship it. So, we are considering shipping a suitcase of cruise necessities like shoes, clothing, travel games instead. That still frees me to handle only two suitcases.

Thanks for everyone's input!!

We use Luggage Forward every time we sail and have had only good experiences with them. Since you cannot use them though, if you haven't looked into it already you might consider FedEx or UPS.

Thank you! We can ship FedEx to the Intercontinental Miami and will likely do that!

We’ve used them for shipping to Rome and back to LA. Found out about them from other expats living in Rome. We shipped a large box, not a suitcase as we needed all the weight we could.

Follow their directions and it’s very easy.

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, zahav1 said:

anyone had any experience with Luggage Forward to Port Everglades?   they say they have an agent to deliver it to the ship

We used their service there both going to and returning from a cruise (Silversea's Silver Spirit) in November and December, 2018 (shipping from and back to Maui) and everything went perfectly for us.  

Edited by Silver Sweethearts
  • Thanks 1