June 10 18 Alaska cruise - Emerald Princess vs HAL Amersterdam

StrikeEagle7

This cruise is round trip from Seattle. Emerald Princess reviews have been very mixed lately. Not sure if I should cruise HAL Amsterdam instead. Hubby is 60 and I am 58. This will be our second Alaska cruise. Last one was 10 years ago with our kids. Now it will be just us. Thoughts please.

Since you've cruised to Alaska before, you know the basics for sure. I've cruised there 4x & hope to go again!

June 10, 2018 isn't so far away! That cruise date will fill up quickly on either Princess or HAL. Book soon!

Both lines go to Glacier Bay -- a must for many Alaska cruisers. The 2 lines are very similar, including your demographics. I prefer Princess for several reasons, but that's me. There are several threads on CC that compare/contrast the 2 lines. You can SEARCH those.

As for the Emerald -- I've sailed her twice in recent years. Both times were for 14 or more days. She's a large ship (approx. 3,100 passengers) but quite comfortable. Something she has that HAL doesn't seem to have (according to reports on CC) is 24-hr. food service (except for Room Service). EP has the buffet (Horizon Court) open from early morning until at least midnight. The pizza place is open from 11am - 11 pm. Best of all (to me) is the International Café (IC) on deck 5 midship; it is open 24/7 for breakfast bakery (until 11:00 am) & then salads, sandwiches & desserts until 6:00 am when breakfast starts again.

My other favorite thing on EP (& several other PCL ships) is the aft pool (adults only). Not only is it aft (my favorite view) but it has gradual steps into the pool, not the usual ladder. This "older" arthritic woman can actually get in/out of the pool! And, yes, the weather was warm enough in May '17 that I was able to swim both on leaving/returning to Seattle.

Finally, you're going to Alaska -- is there a bad choice?

This is always a difficult decision.

I would post on the Princess Board to ask what people think are the positives and not so positive about the Emerald. Please know that for most ships you may see mixed reviews.

In the end I would see which itinerary is most appealing to you to see if this helps you sort this out.

Keith

Thank you all. I loved my last 10 cruise on Ruby Princess so Princess for this cruise seemed like a no brained. But then saw so many negatives recently made me reconsider. I am booked on the Emerald Princess but can change to HAL if the reviews were overwhelming. Guess I will stay where I am and enjoy Alaska as it is such an amazing experience....... :D