tip the owner?

kasil

You can't use logic with people who've forgotten the reasons why tipping started in the first place and whose rationale is "because I want to..." :rolleyes:

Truly, our tipping culture has run amok.

It’s absolutely crazy. Thank you for a rational voice.

Because it is bad etiquette..

Tipping the Owner

Technically, it is not considered proper etiquette to tip the owner of a business. Instead, the tip should go to the employees. If you frequent a business often, it's a nice gesture to tip generously in order to show your appreciation for services rendered, and to ensure great service in the future.

DO YOU TIP THE OWNER?

WHAT CUSTOMERS DO: The commonly held belief is that you shouldn't tip the salon owner if she or he does your hair. But more and more customers do.

WHAT SALON STAFF WANTS YOU TO DO: That rule really doesn't apply anymore. Go ahead, tip the owner.

The old rule of etiquette was that you did not tip the owner. From Vogues Book of Etiquette, Simon & Schuster, 1948:

"2. Never tip the owner or the manager, even if he is acting in a capacity which would usually entail tipping. For example, if the owner of a beauty parlor has given service, his is not tipped, although one of his employees definitely would be."

The old rule of etiquette was that you did not tip the owner. From Vogues Book of Etiquette, Simon & Schuster, 1948:

"2. Never tip the owner or the manager, even if he is acting in a capacity which would usually entail tipping. For example, if the owner of a beauty parlor has given service, his is not tipped, although one of his employees definitely would be."

Until possibly now ....

• The Trump Administration's Department of Labor wants to allow restaurateurs to collect tips earned by front-of-house staff and redistribute them as they see fit.
  • This could help shore up the growing pay inequality between cooks and servers.
  • This could also mean employers could keep tips for themselves or the business.

Why do you feel the need to tip anyone? The employees of these tour companies are paid normal wages, not the wages that food service employees are paid!

The employees (or owner) have a job to do ..... show you around the area, tell you about the area, etc. If they do just what the job REQUIRES, no tip from me. If they obviously do their job in such a way as to assure that I have a great experience, they get a tip -- employee or owner.

Etiquette? Not sure.

Human kindness? You bet

(Also, for all I know, that person "NEEDS" that tip more than I do. If I am wrong, what is the harm in my having $5 less to spend on my vacation. If I am right, WOW, I might have had a very nice, positive effect on someone's life. I'd rather "err" on the side of kindness.)

Why do you feel the need to tip anyone? The employees of these tour companies are paid normal wages, not the wages that food service employees are paid!

Depending upon the country, some tour guide barely make enough money to eat (thinking third world countries). Their wages are not "normal" by U.S. standards!

Living by rules that have been relegated to history does not make them right..

OP did not ask questions about tipping the owner of a beauty salon. As usual CC goes way off-topic.

They stated they were taking a tour from the owner of a tour company. The owner sets the price they think is fair for their work. If they think they should make a higher wage, they should increase the cost of the tour. They control the price as they aren't an employee. No tip.

OP did not ask questions about tipping the owner of a beauty salon. As usual CC goes way off-topic.

They stated they were taking a tour from the owner of a tour company. The owner sets the price they think is fair for their work. If they think they should make a higher wage, they should increase the cost of the tour. They control the price as they aren't an employee. No tip.

I will remember that when visiting the states next.

I will remember that when visiting the states next.

Please do not! :)

The majority of us have no problem tipping for a job well done. If it isn't done well, then the tip decreases or disappears. When I make an appointment to get my hair cut, or go to lunch, etc., I consider the tip part of the price I pay. I would simply not use someone's services and not tip.

I don't care what others do but I can't help but feel that it is unfortunate for the person giving the services because it is THE CUSTOM in the US to tip.

The majority of us have no problem tipping for a job well done. If it isn't done well, then the tip decreases or disappears. When I make an appointment to get my hair cut, or go to lunch, etc., I consider the tip part of the price I pay. I would simply not use someone's services and not tip.

I don't care what others do but I can't help but feel that it is unfortunate for the person giving the services because it is THE CUSTOM in the US to tip.

But tipping isn't as simple as rewarding a job well done. You don't tip your doctor or your lawyer for a job well done. I've yet to see someone lay an extra $40 on their veterinarian (despite the fact that they may have more debt than your average tour operator....)

Tipping is meant as a reward for service, yes, but predominantly aimed at those who otherwise would have no "skin in the game" to provide it. An owner of an agency providing tours does have skin in the game -- his or her business reputation and success depend on it. Plus, they would -- to my mind -- fall into the category of a professional.

When money is given more to make the donor feel good than the recipient, that's something different from tipping, IMO.

Also, as a side note, if you feel (rightly) that visitors to the US should abide by our tipping culture, why is it difficult for folks to understand that the reverse is also true.... Don't tip, or don't overtip, in countries where it is NOT part of the culture. Just because your tip isn't turned down doesn't mean that it is culturally appropriate. It changes customs and expectations for the locals who live there year-round.