Train or bus from Nice to Genoa?

supermm4

expect car rental expensive ( considering that the french car will be retruned to italy furthermore personally i do not find the motorway between nice and genoa to be "scenic" at all

doubt that there is a direct bus service between nice and genoa

feel train is the best option also from a scenic point of view becuase it runs along the coast passing through villages

expect car rental expensive ( considering that the french car will be retruned to italy furthermore personally i do not find the motorway between nice and genoa to be "scenic" at all

feel train is the best option also from a scenic point of view becuase it runs along the coast passing through villages

There is a direct bus from the Nice airport to Genoa. It takes 3 hours and costs 25 euros.

https://www.oui.sncf/bus-reservation/#/recherche?origin=spv0t7&destination=spyke7&outboundDate=2018-03-14&adult=1&child=0&senior=0&operator=7299f81b-01b4-4912-be8f-3ebfe36efdb8&operator=7f856006-b102-44f5-b390-cc6cca4b46e7&rfrr=PropositionAllerNew_PushBus

Trains require changing at Ventimiglia. It costs about the same as the bus.

The motorway is not that scenic, although kids get a kick counting the number of tunnels on the road and there can be some great views from the viaducts. The shore road is scenic, if you have the time to drive through many scenic towns..

Relative cost of car over bus and train, yes, it is more per person. How many are traveling?

"Expensive" is for the OP to determine.

Thank you [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not generally recommend renting a car in one country and dropping in another. At one time there used to be some decent deals, but in the past few years nearly all the rental car companies charge ridiculous one-way drop fees (unless dropped in the country where rented).

Hank

Well, the fees have gone up quite a bit for returning the car in Italy. Avis has a deal for $700. That works out to $175 per person. And it would be the best (not the cheapest) option if you would like to do a lot of sightseeing in comfort along the way - Menton, Dolceacqua, Portofino, etc. It would be equivalent of private transfers with sightseeing included.

If you want to take the bus, there is the one from NCE to Genoa. Some of the departures end at the Stazione Maritima (or Genoa Maritima) in Genoa. Look at www.ouibus.com They seem to appear only a month ahead of time. In March they run Wednesday, Friday and Sundays. If you get sent to the French website, the French word for Genoa is Gênes.

The other bus line is https://www.eurolines.eu/ They have the schedules out for a few months and do not run daily. But they do have one route that ends at the port Stazione Maritima or Genoa Maritima.

There are several trains daily. You have to take the airport shuttle to a block or so from the nearest station (Nice Saint Augustin) and you must change trains in Ventimiglia. Here is the website. It only goes out a few months and it also shows you a link to the buses. This is the French website, so remember the French word for Genoa is Gênes. The English version of this website is not as comprehensive in this case because it doesn't show the bus links.

Good luck.

Flixbus also has direct buses from Nice airport to Genoa, several each day. The fare varies based on time of day and when purchased but I just looked at tomorrow and the 9:30 AM direct bus takes only two and a half hours and costs €9. Quite a deal.

https://*******.com/y73mwquv

The missing part is tiny url (but all one word, no space), I don't know what CC's problem is with that.

You could also just go to flixbus.com and put in the data yourself.

Interesting. Thello is a new train company that offers two direct routes between France and Italy. https://www.thello.com/en/

The route (Nice-Genoa) you found is part of the Marseille-Milan route. so, a few observations:

• These are the same train tracks used by all other trains between Nice and Genoa, there are no others.
  • The Thello route involves a half-hour stop in Ventimiglia. Does this mean you stay on the same train or do you change trains? Not clear.
  • The Thello train stops at the Nice-Ville station, not at Nice-St. Augustin which is the closest to the airport.
  • There are only three trains a day.
  • The Thello trains look nice.

So, you have to base your decision on a couple of things

• Is the time of the train convenient to your arrival in NCE?
  • In order to get to the Nice-Ville station you must either take a taxi or bus, or take the shuttle to the Nice-St Augustin station and get off at Nice-Ville to wait for the Thello. In this case, you might as well take a more convenient train from Nice-St Augustin and change trains in Ventimiglia. Plus, it is not clear whether you are changing trains in Ventimiglia with the Thello.
  • The Thello stops at the Genoa-Piazza Principe station. Some of the buses from Nice stop at Porta Maritima.

Anyhow, good research!

We arrive at the airport of Nice and stay one night in Nice to visite Nice and Monaco. The Nice-ville station is 800 meter from our hotel( 4 min car, 11 minutes walk).

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

We arrive at the airport of Nice and stay one night in Nice to visite Nice and Monaco. The Nice-ville station is 800 meter from our hotel( 4 min car, 11 minutes walk).

OK. I was under the impression you wanted to go from the airport directly to Genoa.

Enjoy Nice.

And, let us know what happens with your train ride. Many people may be curious about the Thello trains.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

Please do come back and let us know how this went! I am looking to sail from Genoa next April (2019) and I am trying to decide whether to fly into Milan or Nice. Either way, I will fly in a couple of days ahead so interested to know about your stay in Nice as well as your transfer to Genoa.

Please do come back and let us know how this went! I am looking to sail from Genoa next April (2019) and I am trying to decide whether to fly into Milan or Nice. Either way, I will fly in a couple of days ahead so interested to know about your stay in Nice as well as your transfer to Genoa.

For me it was cheaper flying to Nice instead of Genoa or Milan!!! And I want to see Nice and Monaco!! [emoji7]

For me it was cheaper flying to Nice instead of Genoa or Milan!!! And I want to see Nice and Monaco!! [emoji7]

Yes, exactly! It is much cheaper for me to fly into Nice. However, I have already been to both Nice and Monaco but I have not seen Milan. On the other hand, I <3 Nice so going there again is no problem at all!! If you have a minute for lunch and like mussels, there is a place called Lou Bantry in Villfranche sur Mer that is totally worth the stop. It is on the way between Nice and Monaco and right on the water.

Enjoy your trip! I would love to hear about it when you return!