Brooklyn Cruise Terminal - Latest / Past Experience Use Of Parking Lot During Cruise

BklynBoy8

Have a friend that will be sailing a cruise out of Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in the Near Future.

Did anyone in the past ever use their Parking Lot for parking their car there during their time taking a cruise.

Are their any pro and con's to the use of the parking lot connected to the Cruise Terminal for those that drove their car as their transportation to the Terminal.

We are aware of the cost for the period of their use.

Just wondered personal experiences of their use.

Appreciate your input.

Parking is ample, and cheaper than Manhattan cruise parking, anyway.

We generally go over Christmas. The last couple of times there's been a port employee stationed at the payment station in the lot informing people that parking is payable via cash only. He takes your cash and then does whatever you need to do to the exit gate to get it to open without a validated parking ticket.

I have no evidence that would suggest that this activity is not completely on the up and up. But still one wonders.

In any event, do the math ($23 for the first 24 hours then $20 for each additional) and set aside some greenbacks before boarding.

Apparently it's possible to park your car there when boarding for a transatlantic and return later on a non-embarkation day to retrieve it but I'm not sure of the precise logistics for that.

The last couple of times there's been a port employee stationed at the payment station in the lot informing people that parking is payable via cash only. He takes your cash and then does whatever you need to do to the exit gate to get it to open without a validated parking ticket..

Thank you Underwatr.

I did read the direct Brooklyn Cruise Terminal website under Parking. It states at the in of the cruise you are directed to pay the ticket at the machine in the terminal get a receipt and then present it at the gate to let you out. Nothing about handling money in the lot.

We are going to contact the office number on the website to find out the proper procedure to follow. I would bring to their attention your paying cash in the lot and not in the terminal...

The first time it happened (2016), I sent an email to the contact link on the web page:

I was surprised upon retrieving my car at the Red Hook Brooklyn cruise terminal today to discover that none of the paystations accepted a credit card. Had I known I would have ensured I had sufficient cash to pay my parking fee but the attendant at the lot accepted what cash I did have.

Is this a permanent change or a temporary inability to pay with a credit card? I did see that the nycruise.com web page still shows that credit cards are accepted for payment.

Thank you,

[Me]

The response:
Good morning – I apologize for the inconvenience. It is a permanent change to the paystations – they will not accept credit cards in 2016 but we will have an attendant outside near the parking area accepting credit cards through the Square reader.

In early 2017 the same situation persisted but who knows whether it will change. No attendant has ever mentioned to me having a Square reader.

I was able to pay using my credit card on my Holiday Cruise this past Dec. 2016 through Jan 2017. They did not expect cash. It is a bit shady if someone told you that you HAD to use cash -- in this day and age?

Ditto.....I too thought that was shady...

Going to call and check on this...

I have used this parking lot three times. Very convenient. All of a three minute walk to the terminal from the car. Now three years ago the machines took my credit card. Two years ago I went to retrieve my car and the pay station would not take my car. Panic! There was no attendant. 15 minutes later the attendant did show up and apologized for being late. Simply filled out a credit card slip and had me sign. No problem. This past October the attendant was at the pay station waiting. Filled out the credit card slip. I signed and was on my way.

Now the only thing I do not like about the parking lot is the walk to the car after getting off. Why? Simply because the QM2 towers over the lot and makes me sad that I am no longer aboard her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are we talking about the same parking lot that flooded a number of years ago due to hurricane type weather that hit NYC? From what I remember quite a number of cars had water damage.

Are we talking about the same parking lot that flooded a number of years ago due to hurricane type weather that hit NYC? From what I remember quite a number of cars had water damage.

Yes. That was Hurricane Sandy, pretty much unprecedented in its impact on New York. The wind and tides filled the harbor with water several feet above normal sea level.

Waltd,

Living several miles away in Brooklyn from the terminal we personally experienced Sandy first hand.

I would be the first one to say "No Way Would I Park There Under Those Conditions". We would know ahead and have alternate plans of storaging a car. Those were unusual conditions we all learned from.

The main concern of this thread seems the proper and orderly handling of the Parking System and Lot of the Terminal/ Having the confidence and assurance while the QM2 takes good care of you, the terminal is properly handling and safeguard you vehicle.

"See Something, Say Something"..The only way the terminal will know that passengers feel confident is by telling them if there are any improperness with their procedure....ex machines not working, way of payment limited to either cash or credit card only...

Thank you for your concern...

Partial quote

..."See Something, Say Something"..The only way the terminal will know that passengers feel confident is by telling them if there are any improperness with their procedure....ex machines not working, way of payment limited to either cash or credit card only...

Thank you for your concern...

Very good point, BklynBoy.

Here is the contact information for the Brooklyn Cruise terminal (which is owned by the Port Authorities of NY and NJ):

For inquiries regarding Brooklyn Cruise Terminal parking, contact:

By email: Jason.Rubino@propark.com

By phone: (646) 299-4670

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal webpage specifies payment procedure: https://www.nycruise.com/brooklyn-terminal/parking/

As I mentioned upthread I did send Jason Rubino an email the first time I experienced cash-only at exit. His reply to me was basically, Yup, that's how it's running for the foreseeable future (although he did mention attendants having a Square credit card reader, it wasn't offered to me in 2017).

As I mentioned upthread I did send Jason Rubino an email the first time I experienced cash-only at exit. His reply to me was basically, Yup, that's how it's running for the foreseeable future (although he did mention attendants having a Square credit card reader, it wasn't offered to me in 2017).

Thanks, I scrolled up and read your post "Had I known I would have ensured I had sufficient cash to pay my parking fee but the attendant at the lot accepted what cash I did have."

and the "In early 2017 the same situation persisted but who knows whether it will change"

If I understand, you did not pay the established parking rate (apparently,

not just once but twice) because you paid less in cash.

No doubt I am not understanding correctly.

On 13 occasions, we drove our car out of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, and if cash was demanded as payment to drive out of the lot, we'd back up, park the car, and stroll over to have a conversation with the nearest NYC Police Officer - and there are many in the proximity :)

Edited by Salacia

Thanks, I scrolled up and read your post "Had I known I would have ensured I had sufficient cash to pay my parking fee but the attendant at the lot accepted what cash I did have."

and the "In early 2017 the same situation persisted but who knows whether it will change"

On 13 occasions, we drove our car out of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, and if cash was demanded as payment to drive out of the lot, we'd back up, park the car, and stroll over to have a conversation with the nearest NYC Police Officer - and there are many in the proximity :)

For clarification: we paid our parking fee by credit card...just realized that what I wrote above might have sounded like we drove our car out of the lot "Bonnie & Clyde Style":eek:

.I paid the normal amount in cash this year.

I didn't call the police either time, but I did contact the appropriate POC after the first instance and was told that that's the procedure for the time being. Are you suggesting that he's in on a shakedown scam as well? Perhaps someone ought to call the NY Daily News.

There seems to be a veiled accusation of some sort lurking behind about half of your posts. Perhaps you should work on that.

.I paid the normal amount in cash this year.

I didn't call the police either time, but I did contact the appropriate POC after the first instance and was told that that's the procedure for the time being. Are you suggesting that he's in on a shakedown scam as well? Perhaps someone ought to call the NY Daily News.

There seems to be a veiled accusation of some sort lurking behind about half of your posts. Perhaps you should work on that.

Underwatr,I've not suggested anyone is on a "shakedown scam", but I noticed you wrote that "it makes one wonder".

As always, thank you for your suggestion regarding my posts, but perhaps you are projecting something that simply isn't there?

Have a nice day :)

Salacia

• 10 months later...

I used the lot in July. It was sort of a valet parking situation. This was due to the parking lot being occupied by some type of racetrack for July 4th celebration. At the entrance to the parking lot I had to hand over my car and keys and in return I received a claim ticket. I was a bit alarmed at having to leave my key. Anyway, three weeks later when I returned I went to claim my car. Handed over my ticket and four minutes later my car arrived. Payment was by Visa card via a handheld scanner. The racetrack stand in the parking lot was gone and the mileage on my car had not changed. I had not worried about my car while I was away but on arrival back I did scan the lot for my car as we docked—and yes I saw it from the ship

I used the lot in July. It was sort of a valet parking situation. This was due to the parking lot being occupied by some type of racetrack for July 4th celebration. At the entrance to the parking lot I had to hand over my car and keys and in return I received a

claim ticket. I was a bit

alarmed at having to leave my key. Anyway, three weeks later when I returned I went to claim my car. Handed over my ticket and four minutes later my car arrived. Payment was by Visa card via a handheld scanner. The racetrack stand in the parking lot was gone and the mileage on my car had not changed. I had not worried about my car while I was away but on arrival back I did scan the lot for my car as we docked—and yes I saw it from the ship

Thanks so much for the info. We have never cruised from Brooklyn before.

I tried to embark a cruise a few years back using a taxi as transport to the terminal. Unfortunately the dockside workers were on strike. The queue was very long and we waited for half an hour in the jam. Then we got out and walked the half mile to the terminal embarking within five minutes. At the front of the traffic queue was woman who had stopped all the traffic but the parking area seemed deserted. The traffic was simply standing there. People on board were going on about how it took hours to get on board and the ship left late. Any suggestion of an industrial dispute when you travel and parking close by and taxi a couple of miles is safer.

Regards John

I y to embark a cruise a few years back using a taxi as transport to the terminal. Unfortunately the dockside workers were on strike.

I'm guessing that was late January 2016? That was a one day "wildcat strike," conducted without the coordination or permission of the union leadership. Very unusual circumstance.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/02/investigation_begins_into_nj_ny_port_walkout_as_do.html