SD Caribbean updates?

cabosal

Has anyone heard anything on SD's plans for this winter season? I've called multiple times and been stuck "on hold" too often. We have a cruise upcoming in January which we have made a down payment on but are now unsure of its itinerary. Looks like northern Caribbean is out which, I guess, leaves Barbados and points south. Not somewhere we'd choose again. Hopefully they come up with something new ( a day at the Pink Sands in Canouan might be nice. What about St Vincent? The ABC's? ).

Any updated info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good suggestions. I had also thought of the ABC islands. I feel sorry for those in SD that are having to hustle to make changes that were set in place a year or two ago. Not sure how it works but there are only so many "slots" at each island each season. I suspect one of the problems will be simply finding an open place to go to. Can't kick another line out of a place they already had booked. I guess we shall see soon as the TAs are coming up rapidly. I alway said (when I lived in the Florida Panhandle) I wished SD would sail out of Pensacola and just sail around the Gulf for a week.;p:cool:

Good suggestions. I had also thought of the ABC islands. I feel sorry for those in SD that are having to hustle to make changes that were set in place a year or two ago. Not sure how it works but there are only so many "slots" at each island each season. I suspect one of the problems will be simply finding an open place to go to. Can't kick another line out of a place they already had booked. I guess we shall see soon as the TAs are coming up rapidly. I alway said (when I lived in the Florida Panhandle) I wished SD would sail out of Pensacola and just sail around the Gulf for a week.;p:cool:

Hey Jim, I have a question for you since you seem to be the official sailing guru on the board. Since SeaDream is such a small boat, if it tendered to islands would that eliminate the needed "slots" at each island?

SaveSave

Hey Jim, I have a question for you since you seem to be the official sailing guru on the board. Since SeaDream is such a small boat, if it tendered to islands would that eliminate the needed "slots" at each island?

SaveSave

Not necessarily. SD pays to anchor too. Then there is the crowd factor.....:eek: Not sure about the guru part since my next two are "cheating" on SD. Bad boy, bad, bad boy.

Has anyone heard anything on SD's plans for this winter season? I've called multiple times and been stuck "on hold" too often. We have a cruise upcoming in January which we have made a down payment on but are now unsure of its itinerary. Looks like northern Caribbean is out which, I guess, leaves Barbados and points south. Not somewhere we'd choose again. Hopefully they come up with something new ( a day at the Pink Sands in Canouan might be nice. What about St Vincent? The ABC's? ).

Any updated info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Any reason why you wouldn't choose that option again or just 'been there, done that' type of thing? I'd love the ABCs. Initially, we were booked on Royal's Adventure of the Seas out of Puerto Rico and they canceled our cruise earlier this year to finish dry dock. That's when we booked this SD cruise. I was so excited about the BVI and St Barts, but, there is probably no way they will be ready for visitors in February. So, now just trying to wait for SD to determine what they are going to do. I'm sure it isn't an easy thing to do, but I have a friend sailing on Norwegian in January and they've already been told they are altering their itinerary. I'm sure that it is easier when you have a team of people who can work on the itineraries, but they are also larger ships and have more of them.

Our 120 day mark is October 6th. So, I'm giving them until the 5th to make an announcement. If they don't, then we will likely cancel and do something else and try SD again sometime in the future. I hate to do it, but we're joking that with a second cruise up in the air, maybe we just aren't supposed to cruise this year :-)

For what it's worth, we had a reservation at the Ritz on St. Thomas before our cruise, arriving New Year's Eve. The hotel called the other day to cancel the reservation and return our deposit. They said they sustained very little damage because of where they are situated (Red Hook), and expect to be open by the middle of January. She told me the Marriott at Frenchman's Cove is destroyed. Even if the hotel would be open, not sure St. Thomas will be up to receiving visitors that soon. Alas, we, too, are awaiting word on where our cruise might be, and if it will be. But it is hard to worry about a vacation when everyone else is worried about survival. We will go with the flow.

For what it's worth, we had a reservation at the Ritz on St. Thomas before our cruise, arriving New Year's Eve. The hotel called the other day to cancel the reservation and return our deposit. They said they sustained very little damage because of where they are situated (Red Hook), and expect to be open by the middle of January. She told me the Marriott at Frenchman's Cove is destroyed. Even if the hotel would be open, not sure St. Thomas will be up to receiving visitors that soon. Alas, we, too, are awaiting word on where our cruise might be, and if it will be. But it is hard to worry about a vacation when everyone else is worried about survival. We will go with the flow.

I hope they can all rebuild! It is nice that some places are being so proactive.

Yes, we all worry about how everyone on these islands will make it through, but I think it is possible to be concerned about both the islands and our vacations. My husband doesn't care to travel much, so when we do, it is a big deal to me.

I just discovered an advisory posted on SeaDream.com on Thursday 9/21 that indicates they are planning to operate upcoming Caribbean cruises "as designed." That is hard for me to imagine, given that our November 20 cruise is scheduled to depart from Marigot, visiting the islands most affected (St. Barth and Anguilla).

This reminds me of our experience last year when the ship we were to sail on Thanksgiving week had to be dry-docked after a fire. Rather than canceling several cruises right away, SeaDream waited until the last minute to cancel the next cruise each time, and we were left wondering if we would actually cruise until just a few weeks before.

La Samanna sustained heavy damage and cancelled our reservation for the night before, and Delta is giving us until October 31 to reschedule our flights.

All that said, I realize that our troubles are inconsequential compared to those living on the islands!

I just discovered an advisory posted on SeaDream.com on Thursday 9/21 that indicates they are planning to operate upcoming Caribbean cruises "as designed." That is hard for me to imagine, given that our November 20 cruise is scheduled to depart from Marigot, visiting the islands most affected (St. Barth and Anguilla).

This reminds me of our experience last year when the ship we were to sail on Thanksgiving week had to be dry-docked after a fire. Rather than canceling several cruises right away, SeaDream waited until the last minute to cancel the next cruise each time, and we were left wondering if we would actually cruise until just a few weeks before.

La Samanna sustained heavy damage and cancelled our reservation for the night before, and Delta is giving us until October 31 to reschedule our flights.

All that said, I realize that our troubles are inconsequential compared to those living on the islands!

338cfc3bc7b71a54bb842aeff5a03b55.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That seems a bit crazy! I mean, where exactly are you supposed to stay if none of the hotels are taking reservations?

Of course, we are all very lucky compared to those who live there, but common sense has to prevail. I guess we just have to wait and see. Although, unfortunately, it sounds like we'll be canceling and booking at some other time in a couple of years. Best to all of you with upcoming sailings

You make a valid point about how SD handled the cancellations after the fire. I know several friends who were not very happy with the last minute cancellations. That said, I can certainly understand SD not wanting to send large sums of money back to passengers for cancellations. A very picky problem to navigate.

We're booked 12/27 out of bgi to sxm. Full payment due on Tuesday. We are heartstruck by what these folks are going through. Beyond what we've been reading. Jobs..lives .. families uprooted. Lost. We've heard nothing yet about our trip but I doubt SD will be sailing. Possible southern routes as everyone has been guessing.

We're booked 12/27 out of bgi to sxm. Full payment due on Tuesday. We are heartstruck by what these folks are going through. Beyond what we've been reading. Jobs..lives .. families uprooted. Lost. We've heard nothing yet about our trip but I doubt SD will be sailing. Possible southern routes as everyone has been guessing.

If you read the advisory that Mrs_Tiki posted, you'll see that SD plans on conducting the voyages as designed. So, you can expect that you'll be sailing on that itinerary that you booked.

Maybe, as time draws nearer, they will alter each itinerary as it arrives, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see ultimately what they decide to do.

We canceled since we just didn't want to take the chance of not knowing where we were going. It is our 10th anniversary, so we wanted to make sure we did something special. We're going to a performance driving school outside of Vegas for a couple of days and then we'll spend a couple of nights in Scottsdale since we've never been to the Southwest. Not exactly a warm relaxing beach and cruise, but my husband is VERY excited about it :-)

I do hope to hear from those of you who are going to continue with their sailings as I'm interested in hearing how the islands are recovering, etc. Happy cruising to all!

Hi Sprout76. Yes I saw the SD posting on their website and it sure is vague. We'll just have to see. Glad you're doing your southwest trip. Driving school? Sounds fun! Enjoy. I think we'll end up cancelling as well. Flights, etc. just too difficult to change for the holiday period. Cheers.

If you read the advisory that Mrs_Tiki posted, you'll see that SD plans on conducting the voyages as designed. So, you can expect that you'll be sailing on that itinerary that you booked.

Maybe, as time draws nearer, they will alter each itinerary as it arrives, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see ultimately what they decide to do.

We canceled since we just didn't want to take the chance of not knowing where we were going. It is our 10th anniversary, so we wanted to make sure we did something special. We're going to a performance driving school outside of Vegas for a couple of days and then we'll spend a couple of nights in Scottsdale since we've never been to the Southwest. Not exactly a warm relaxing beach and cruise, but my husband is VERY excited about it :-)

I do hope to hear from those of you who are going to continue with their sailings as I'm interested in hearing how the islands are recovering, etc. Happy cruising to all!

I have not taken the driving school in Vegas but friends say it is great. Scottsdale has many fine resorts that will be glad to serve you poolside.....:cool:

I have not taken the driving school in Vegas but friends say it is great. Scottsdale has many fine resorts that will be glad to serve you poolside.....:cool:

That's fantastic to hear! He's really excited about it😀 It looks fantastic from what I've read. I'm sure this means he'll want a Corvette when we get home. LOL

February may be a bit chilly for poolside service, but I'm sure it will be great regardless!

Hi Sprout76. Yes I saw the SD posting on their website and it sure is vague. We'll just have to see. Glad you're doing your southwest trip. Driving school? Sounds fun! Enjoy. I think we'll end up cancelling as well. Flights, etc. just too difficult to change for the holiday period. Cheers.

I hope you guys find something to do! I agree, that is a hard time of year to get things changed around. Luckily, American is going to allow us to change our destination , for a fee of course, but better than losing it entirely. I can't wait until we do get to cruise again. Hopefully our next vacation in 2020/2021

This just in...our TA at Amex says they're standing by their statement that the 12/28 BGI-SXM is going as planned. This itin includes Jost, St. Barth's, Marigot...I mean what? We're going to party on board while these folks on shore are trying to reclaim their homes and lives. I think not. We're out.

This just in...our TA at Amex says they're standing by their statement that the 12/28 BGI-SXM is going as planned. This itin includes Jost, St. Barth's, Marigot...I mean what? We're going to party on board while these folks on shore are trying to reclaim their homes and lives. I think not. We're out.

Hate to disagree but "these folks on shore" are dependent on tourists for their income. Staying away will only be detrimental to their recovery. If SD is going to try to get into these Caribbean ports, we're on board! Anguilla, St Bart's, BVI's, etc. We want to come visit and we know you will welcome us when we get there.

Our TA told us on Monday that SeaDream was to have a big conference call yesterday that would lead to decisions regarding upcoming itineraries. When he checked in with them today, they told him they would have information this coming Monday. Stay tuned....

Our TA told us on Monday that SeaDream was to have a big conference call yesterday that would lead to decisions regarding upcoming itineraries. When he checked in with them today, they told him they would have information this coming Monday. Stay tuned....

We've already canceled, but I'm hoping there is good new for all of you!

SD just called to let us know that Nov 19 cruise will be round-trip from Antigua rather than St. Martin. Same ports of call. We feel fortunate that we should be able to easily change our tickets to fly there direct 2 days prior to the cruise. Now if we can just find a place to stay, we'll be set!

Hope others have the same luck!