HAL guarantees

First, let me head off any of the 'you have to be happy with what you bought' or 'you're greedy', etc. posts. Here we go....

My wife and I are traveling on Holland's Konigsdam January 14, ten days. We bought a B cat guarantee, and WILL BE QUITE OKAY WITH a B cabin. That being said, we'll be THRILLED, but NOT COUNTING on an upgrade. As we've checked over the last few months, the only availability was B GUAR, A had eight cabins, and AS had GUAR (that was as of about two days ago). When I checked earlier today, there was B GUAR and AS GUAR. As of now, there is no B, no A, no AS availability, even GUAR.

Just curious if anyone in the know might guess if this means they're pulling those cabins to make assignments (seems early this far out), or if maybe someone came in and snatched up the eight A cabins.

Again, I know it's all top secret, I'm just too inquisitive not to wonder out loud.....

Edited by airboss1998
Easier to type on laptop than iPad

I totally agree with Keith's advice, as that is the far more appropriate place.

The fact of the matter is there no way to tell exactly how many cabins there are available at any given moment, because you can't see the number of GTYs that have been sold, but not yet assigned. You said you saw 8 A cabins available. But if 7 were sold, but not yet assigned to GTYs, there is really only 1 available. If I then come along and book an A cabin, and select a specific cabin, that category will now show as sold out, even though all cabins are not yet assigned.

It would appear your ship may be getting close to sold out. When they assign GTYs can be far sooner than when they announce your assignment. We have received suite GTY assignments as far out as 28 days prior to sail, but our most recent assignment was just 9 days out. This is discussed quite regularly on the HAL board.

• 2 weeks later...
No, it's really not to early to start assignments. If inventory is getting low, assignments are made. It is very difficult to determine what cabins and categories are available due to the number of GTYs that have been booked. Hope you get a great one!

HAL rarely announces GTY assignments over 30 days prior to sailing. We have gotten them at 25-28 days, and most recently at 9 days. There are MANY, MANY reports of assignments at under 14 days on the HAL board. So when the OP wrote this, it was a bit early to be getting their assignment.

It is semantics..."assignments being made" as opposed to "getting your assignment".