Northern Lights Guarantee?

Gretchendz

I don't know if it's discontinued, but I think anyway it was a very misleading offer. If you look at the fine print, what qualifies as a sighting is decided by the bridge. If they see a very faint aurora (which will look like a thin greyish cloud to the naked eye) at 4 am and announce it over the loudspeaker, Northern Lights have been officially sighted during the trip and you don't qualify for a free trip. It would be interesting to know how many trips have actually been without a single sighting from the bridge. I would guess that very few people actually got the free trip.

I do agere with SarniaLo - and very likely to have a Northern Light during a 11 day cruise and might very well be very limited.

I do plan a Northern Light Cruise next winter. Personality I do find a 11 day cruise during winter too much. I’ll probably book the cruise south bound from Kirkenes and stay few nights pre-cruise in Kirkenes.

Here is a link to the terms https://www.hurtigruten.com/ngm-offers/norway-offers/northern-lights-promise/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The odds are good but still keep your expectations low. If the NL are the main priority of your trip, then a cruise may not be the best option. On a ship you are stuck to where the ship is, and if the sky above you is cloudy, you see nothing. On land you have the option of "chasing the clouds" and find a location with clear sky (which can be far away). Also, the ship moves so it's not always easy to take a picture. On the plus side, the ship is usually in the middle of gorgeous landscape and away from light pollution. Better pick a date with some moon because the moon will lit up the landscape (and will not interfere with the NL if the display is strong).

So pick the cruise if the cruise itself interests you and hope for the NL as an added bonus. Also, maybe pick a date late in the winter season rather than early if you want to have some daylight to see the landscape during the day (but the experience of the polar "night" is also something to consider, so that depends on your interests).

This being said, I have travelled several times in autumn and winter and I have seen the NL on every trip. They were sometimes faint, and sometimes gorgeous. But I worked for them, I spend hours on the deck at night looking at the sky. If you wait for the public announcement you may miss some of the show.

The odds are good but still keep your expectations low. If the NL are the main priority of your trip, then a cruise may not be the best option. On a ship you are stuck to where the ship is, and if the sky above you is cloudy, you see nothing. On land you have the option of "chasing the clouds" and find a location with clear sky (which can be far away). Also, the ship moves so it's not always easy to take a picture. On the plus side, the ship is usually in the middle of gorgeous landscape and away from light pollution. Better pick a date with some moon because the moon will lit up the landscape (and will not interfere with the NL if the display is strong).

So pick the cruise if the cruise itself interests you and hope for the NL as an added bonus. Also, maybe pick a date late in the winter season rather than early if you want to have some daylight to see the landscape during the day (but the experience of the polar "night" is also something to consider, so that depends on your interests).

This being said, I have travelled several times in autumn and winter and I have seen the NL on every trip. They were sometimes faint, and sometimes gorgeous. But I worked for them, I spend hours on the deck at night looking at the sky. If you wait for the public announcement you may miss some of the show.

Thank you. Very helpful post.