Little bit concerned Discovery 1.

Just take it as it comes - there are always people who moan about things. We were in the Caribbean on Discovery last April and it was fabulous. The places, the weather, the people we met - all good. The ship and staff are very nice and we had no problems. Just look forward to it and enjoy:)

Just take it as it comes - there are always people who moan about things. We were in the Caribbean on Discovery last April and it was fabulous. The places, the weather, the people we met - all good. The ship and staff are very nice and we had no problems. Just look forward to it and enjoy:)

I totally agree.

We were also on Discovery last April and, even though we've cruised the Caribbean in the past with other lines, we both felt we enjoyed Discovery most of all for all the reasons dronnygirl has stated.

Don't worry just be positive and enjoy it.

I'm Just back from the Caribbean on Discovery 1 via Dreamliner. It was brilliant. Loved every moment, from getting on the plane, embarkation, staff and crew on the ship (they really do go the extra mile to provide the best service). It was perfect.

What is concerning you most. I really hope you have a great holiday. If it was anything like mine, you won't want to come home.

We are going in three weeks time but definitely concerned that the ship is not allowed onto USA islands. As expected tui have neglected to advise us about this. People are getting fifty dollars each plus refund of esta.

New name but same crap customer service.

We are going in three weeks time but definitely concerned that the ship is not allowed onto USA islands. As expected tui have neglected to advise us about this. People are getting fifty dollars each plus refund of esta.

New name but same crap customer service.

Why would TUI compensate in dollars?

Apologies, may be £50.

The disgraceful thing is they are still selling excursions for these islands, knowing full well the ship is banned.

Why are they banned?

Is it because of the current humanitarian crisis following the hurricane devastation?

If they cancel a port of call where you have prebooked an excursion don't they refund to your payment card as a matter of course?

Although they haven't confirmed anything yet it looks like Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands will be replaced by Tobago and a repeat to Antigua.

The reason is the US authorities have not passed the ship safe (reason unknown). TUI carried out some remedial but the authorities have to re-examine the ship and can only do thus when all passengers are off the ship. The captain apparently refused this so it looks like it won't be remedied until after the season. They knew about this 6 months ago. Disgraceful.

Although they haven't confirmed anything yet it looks like Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands will be replaced by Tobago and a repeat to Antigua.

The reason is the US authorities have not passed the ship safe (reason unknown). TUI carried out some remedial but the authorities have to re-examine the ship and can only do thus when all passengers are off the ship. The captain apparently refused this so it looks like it won't be remedied until after the season. They knew about this 6 months ago. Disgraceful.

TUI (or any Cruise company) don't change the itinerary on a whim. They may still hope to go the these islands and have plan in place. When cruising we all have to be a little flexible and accept the odd change. Better to be safe than sorry. I'm sure you will still have a great time. :cool:

I'd wait to apply for the esta until you get further news. The esta only takes a short time to be approved but I found it a pain in the neck to complete. We're off on 4th Feb. so are just waiting for Tui to come clean and tell us what is going on. Not holding my breath.

We are also doing the cruise on 25th Feb for 2 weeks. We have yet to apply for our ESTA. What do we do.?

Get one or you won't be allowed on the ship if there is any likelihood of the ship calling at a US port. Or they will allow you on the ship but you will have to disembark at the port before the US one and make your own way to the port after the US one. If you arrive at a US port without a visa you will be deported

Get one or you won't be allowed on the ship if there is any likelihood of the ship calling at a US port. Or they will allow you on the ship but you will have to disembark at the port before the US one and make your own way to the port after the US one. If you arrive at a US port without a visa you will be deported

I agree.

Jimb 98 states that TUI will reimburse the esta cost if the itinerary is changed to exclude US territories.

Unless TUI advise you that the itinerary will change it would be a mistake not to apply for the esta.

Jimb 98 states that Discovery is banned from US territories but I can't find anything to substantiate that.

We are also doing the cruise on 25th Feb for 2 weeks. We have yet to apply for our ESTA. What do we do.?

Hey nannyannie,

An esta is really easy to get, its just an american electronic visa programme you apply for online and normally get approved the same day, it costs about 14 dollars? i think, not expensive. Its so easy to do so its def worth doing. Even if you think you might not need it. Not worth the risk. Plus it lasts two years so can always use it again [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey nannyannie,

An esta is really easy to get, its just an american electronic visa programme you apply for online and normally get approved the same day, it costs about 14 dollars?

Apparently, if you have a criminal record then you don’t qualify for an esta, you need to apply I think it is still a visa, it can take longer, if you have convictions for drugs, terrorism or firearms then you will be refused entry, loads of info on line if you look.

Just got back had a fantastic time.met some great people both staff and guests.food and drink was good and always some entertainment going on somewhere.we did go to Antigua twice and Tobago was added instead of peurto Rico and St Thomas.we got etsa money back and additional £50 each.i loved Antigua so it was a bonus for me.i would score my cruise 9/10 but maybe I'm easily pleased.hope you have a good time.

Just got back had a fantastic time.met some great people both staff and guests.food and drink was good and always some entertainment going on somewhere.we did go to Antigua twice and Tobago was added instead of peurto Rico and St Thomas.we got etsa money back and additional £50 each.i loved Antigua so it was a bonus for me.i would score my cruise 9/10 but maybe I'm easily pleased.hope you have a good time.

Well thats it then, Antigua and Tobago in stead of Puerto Rico and St Thomas, we are doing this cruise 4th march after a stay in Barbados first, have done P.R and St Thomas in 2010 with Carnival on the Victory, both lovely visit,s and steeped in history,but hey ho back to the old favourites roll on the 25th feb

If you look on the Marella Discovery 1 Facebook page it gives you all the details of the USA banning the ship.

We've resigned ourselves to the change and will embrace it.

Put it this way, I'd rather spend an extra day in Antigua than snowy Newcastle. And pigeon point in Tobago is not a bad option at all.

With reference to the Esta application my advice would be not to apply for a 'group' of two as I did for my wife and me. Do two separate applications and it's no hassle. If you don't get to those islands Tui will reimburse you plus £50. Win/win situation.

My gripe was always that Tui treats us like imbeciles. They were like that in 1976 when I first travelled with them and nothing seems to have changed.

The staff and entertainment are excellent, it's just the admin people,

Well thats it then, Antigua and Tobago in stead of Puerto Rico and St Thomas, we are doing this cruise 4th march after a stay in Barbados first, have done P.R and St Thomas in 2010 with Carnival on the Victory, both lovely visit,s and steeped in history,but hey ho back to the old favourites roll on the 25th feb

We are hoping to see some of the Atlantic rower's arrive in Antigua, as we did a couple of years ago it was fantastic and very memorable 😀

Sent from my b1-720 using Forums mobile app