Contacting Uber at IAH

Griff61

Hi All

My wife and I are flying into IAH Feb 23 @ 5:30 pm and I want to get a Uber to pick us up and take us to Galveston. We are coming from Canada and won't have cell service. We have unlocked phones but my research shows that I can't get a sim card at the airport.

Any suggestions on how I should contact Uber ? We have never been to IAH before. I know that I can book them online before I leave home but not sure what to do when we arrive. How to pay or contact them.

I have looked at all the shuttle modes but there timing doesn't work without having to sit at the airport for a while and we would like to go straight to our hotel.

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C100PA using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Without a data connection on your phone, your best bet is to hang out at the ARRIVALS area. Keep an eye out for cars with the Uber logo that are dropping off someone. You can probably jump in their car. Keep in mind that you'll need to pay cash $$$ (at a personally negotiated rate)...since you won't be able to book it via the Uber app.

That said, have you checked whether the airport as free public WiFi? If so, that should allow you to connect to Uber and make my earlier advice moot.

Without a data connection on your phone, your best bet is to hang out at the ARRIVALS area. Keep an eye out for cars with the Uber logo that are dropping off someone. You can probably jump in their car. Keep in mind that you'll need to pay cash $$$ (at a personally negotiated rate)...since you won't be able to book it via the Uber app.

That said, have you checked whether the airport as free public WiFi? If so, that should allow you to connect to Uber and make my earlier advice moot.

Thanks Tim.

IAH does have free WiFi so I will probably do it that way. Did you mean DEPARTURES area ? Do you think the negotiated price would be less ? This is the way we do it in Asia. :p:cool: