Mazatlan port area only

Jiminy1955

We are cruising in March. In Mazatlan my family has decided to stay on the ship and possibly go into the port area. What is there to do within the port area? Any shopping, eating or drinking establishments?

There usually is a small craft market in the port. They also sell cold beer there as well.

We are cruising in March. In Mazatlan my family has decided to stay on the ship and possibly go into the port area. What is there to do within the port area? Any shopping, eating or drinking establishments?

The port is a commercial port so only a bunch of shops. TherE are many many ex pats doing volunteer time telling people about close things. There is the blue line that takes you for a short walk into a part of town with the local market, cathedral etc. I don’t usually do excursions but don’t spend all the time on the ship..it is a fun area to explore on foot!

When you get off the ship in Mazatlan you are in a large open empty area and there are "people mover" trams that take you to the indoor area which only has a very few stalls selling things.

There are expat volunteers standing there to show you the blue line that is painted on the street. You literally walk on the blue line to the town square.

IF you don't want to do that there is really nothing much right there at the port.

It would be a shame to miss the town with its market place, pretty church, cliff divers, small museum and water taxis to Stone Island for beachy stuff.

We've done it all so we may stay on board ourselves but we'd never do that for our first visit!

There is a little bit of shopping. The only place to eat/drink within the port is the Green Bar. Cheap food and drinks. I think I have a menu from last month. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

There is a little bit of shopping. The only place to eat/drink within the port is the Green Bar. Cheap food and drinks. I think I have a menu from last month. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

Thank you! I just looked at The Green Bar on Trip Advisor and it sounds like fun, my group will like it.

The Blue Line sounds easy enough, but I’m taking my Mom on this cruise (she will be 80), and I’m wondering how long a walk is it?

Last time in Mazatlan we walked to the Mercado and back. My pedometer counted around 14,000 steps oral for the day. Relatively flat, though there are couple of 6step stairs to navigate.

In port there is the shopping area inside and outside the building. Going outside this area, but before the street is a huge building with another flea market.

Last time in Mazatlan we walked to the Mercado and back. My pedometer counted around 14,000 steps oral for the day. Relatively flat, though there are couple of 6step stairs to navigate.

In port there is the shopping area inside and outside the building. Going outside this area, but before the street is a huge building with another flea market.

Thank you, sounds like what we are looking for.

The Blue Line sounds easy enough, but I’m taking my Mom on this cruise (she will be 80), and I’m wondering how long a walk is it?

Another option for getting around is to hire a pulmonia -- sort of like a golf cart built on a Volkswagen engine, an alternative to a taxi. Very famous in Mazatlan, and fun to be driven around in. There will be plenty of pulmonias waiting at the port, and they are plentiful around the old city when you want to return to the ship. And you can hire one for an agreed on price to drive you around for a couple of hours (or more) and see the new part of the city, the cliff divers, etc. It's a great option, especially for first time visitors.

We really enjoyed seeing the historic Cathedral and the old and new parts of the city, and having a wonderful lunch in the old city before we went back to the ship. Personally, I would not stay on the ship in this port.

enhance

(photo by turtles06)

Didn't want to start a new thread since this sounds like we are planning as well (staying in downtown/port area) so sorry if I hijack this thread!

I'm looking for restaurant recommendations in downtown Mazatlan--we are probably just going to wander around that day and want to grab lunch. I'd like some good Mexican food but more importantly, we need a place that makes things fresh from scratch. DH has an onion/onion powder allergy and since almost all Mexican food contains onions, it has to be some place that doesn't have pre-made and pre-seasoned meat, veggies, etc.

Didn't want to start a new thread since this sounds like we are planning as well (staying in downtown/port area) so sorry if I hijack this thread!

I'm looking for restaurant recommendations in downtown Mazatlan--we are probably just going to wander around that day and want to grab lunch. I'd like some good Mexican food but more importantly, we need a place that makes things fresh from scratch. DH has an onion/onion powder allergy and since almost all Mexican food contains onions, it has to be some place that doesn't have pre-made and pre-seasoned meat, veggies, etc.

Problem will be many of the sauces are premade.

Unfortunately I don’t know names of restaurants but upstairs in the Mercado (across from the church) has lots of restaurants. They only speak Spanish, with some English.

We travel with allergies. We have made up allergy cards and have bought them online at select wisely dot com. Their cards have pictures and are laminated. (Disclaimer —We have no affiliation or get compensation from them, only satisfied customers).

The allergy cards look like a great idea! I was planning to make my DH learn how to say 'no onions' in Spanish ;-).

He doesn't have a severe allergy but rather a severe 'sensitivity' to onions, so cross-contamination isn't a vital concern and he can order things without sauces. It just can't have onions actually in the dish.

Last year in Cozumel, we went to this private beach house (excursion through Carnival) and they were able to prepare a special meal for him. They even made a special batch of guacamole for him right on the spot. It was excellent!