Purchasing insurance NOT thru cruise line, a few questions

newcruzer2

I have Only purchased insurance thru cruise line before. But this time I went thru a big-box TA for cruise, so I am looking at getting third-party insurance... any one have any experience with American express travel insurance. And what do you put as destination , departure port, country cruise goes to ???? Because insurance would cover air, hotel and cruise, correct?

I have friends who had good success with them when they had to cancel a cruise but the devil is in the details so be sure you have read all of the details.

When I am in doubt about destination I call to be 100% sure I am filling out the information correctly with the third party company we use.

Keith

You can get online quotes from multiple companies with http://www.tripinsurancestore.com or http://www.insuremytrip.com. The vacation period we want covered is the time we leave our home for the road trip and gets back, like a door-to-door coverage. The trip costs we specify are all the non-refundable payments.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always take third party insurance. In our case, our TA sells Allianz. Fortunately, we have never had to make a claim.

We take coverage from a couple of days before our scheduled departure to a couple of days after. Never know what kind of weather or other situation will mean we have to leave a day early or come back a day later than planned.

Thank you for the replys. I am feeling overwhelmed my the third party insurance BUT it is going to be a MUST because since my original post i have learned my husband can't get the Friday off , cruise leaves on Saturday , so we will be doing a flight the morning we set sail 😨 SO much can go wrong 😱 but i think i can drive 3hrs to an nearby airport SO THAT we can get a NONSTOP flight.

Thank you for the replys. I am feeling overwhelmed my the third party insurance BUT it is going to be a MUST because since my original post i have learned my husband can't get the Friday off , cruise leaves on Saturday , so we will be doing a flight the morning we set sail 😨 SO much can go wrong 😱 but i think i can drive 3hrs to an nearby airport SO THAT we can get a NONSTOP flight.

Do make sure that you understand the terms of the specific policy that you get, so that you don't inadvertently violate the terms... by having a connecting flight that is "too short" or perhaps by leaving home too late to leave what they'd consider a reasonable time for ordinary traffic delays, etc.

For example, if someone only allows themselves a 25 minute connection between flights and doesn't make it, I suspect the insurer isn't going to be very cooperative about covering any resulting costs. (That was a predictable and controllable risk, etc.)

Good luck!

GC

Squaremouth.com is another good place to shop for trip insurance

We never buy from the same company that sells our trip - just don't want to run the risk of purchasing a policy that protects the travel line more than the traveler.....

If you are planning on flying in the day of your cruise...it is important to carefully read the terms and definitions of any Travel policy. Nearly all third party policies that have "Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption" will specify a minimum number of hours between scheduled flight arrival time and the last boarding time for your cruise. For example, some policies require at least 6 hours between your scheduled landing time and final boarding time for your cruise. If you book an airline flight that does not comply with the time requirements your policy will usually not pay anything if you miss your cruise.

Hank

For example, some policies require at least 6 hours between your scheduled landing time and final boarding time for your cruise. If you book an airline flight that does not comply with the time requirements your policy will usually not pay anything if you miss your cruise.

Hank

This is EXCELLENT info, thank you.:o I was unaware of this and probably would have paid for insurance that would have not covered me. My flight arrival times will probably be from 5 1/2 to 4 hours before "all aboard"