Anyone Else prefer Inside Cabins?

MGB555

When we cruise we always book an inside cabin. (NCL) We also book the sailaway price that does not include any extras like the drinks package or shore excursions. Although I wouldn't mind having the drinks package, the price jump to inside cabin that does include the "free" perks plus the 20 percent gratuity one has to pay on the drinks package does not make economic sense to me. I can buy a couple of drinks a day and still be ahead of the game....

Back to my original topic. Does anyone else prefer inside cabin? We don't spend much time in the cabin and enjoy spending our time in different parts of the ship. If we do spend time during the day it's most likely to nap! I hear about people bidding for Haven suites etc and wonder if I'm odd that I don't aspire to that. Every cabin goes to the same places, has the same food and sees the same shows.

Michael B

My husband and I are new cruisers, setting sail on our second cruise in 5 days! Our first cruise was an inside cabin that we shared with our 2 teenagers, it was, um, a bit cramped:eek:. But we managed and had a GREAT time. We booked an inside cabin again for this cruise, which will feel much roomier since we are cruising kid-free!;) On our first cruise we were rarely in our cabin (maybe trying to avoid the kids?) I see us sticking with inside cabins for a while as we venture on more ships, the price is right for our budget. I understand they aren't for everyone, but my husband and I don't mind at all.

Our first cruise was in an ocean view cabin, which was nice but the location on the second deck was kind of a drag. Next cruise will be an inside in the Havana section on the Horizon. With the pool limited to Havana guests all day and right outside our door I don’t feel the need to book a balcony.

For us it depends on price and how much time we think we'll stay in the cabin. We've stayed in everything up to a junior suite (trying a grand suite in 2019). We tend to prefer inside cabins so we can sleep even when the sun's up - definitely a plus on an Alaskan cruise where it can be up 20hrs. When we get an inside, we do try to stay off the lower decks if possible.

We have generally booked a balcony and found that the room darkening curtains work very well so sleeping isn't an issue. It was also great to enjoy the room and the view when having down time. Met friends on last week's Panama Canal cruise who had an inside and couldn't get over how cramped it was! We struggled a bit with space in an ocean view in the fall but of course you manage. That said we have booked the Bliss for Alaska in September 2019 and cannot justify the huge price jump to even an ocean view so we are going to try an inside for the first time! Some say we will regret not having a balcony for an Alaskan cruise but we will fully take advantage of the new observation deck and put the difference towards our southern Caribbean in January 2020:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just did my 1st solo cruise Feb 1st - Feb 4th with an inside cabin. It was absolute HEAVEN. I never slept so well in my life! No sun to wake me up too early :-)

I will sit out on the ship when I want to see the ocean - which is exactly what I did the entire time, besides getting off at port to explore. It is especially sensible as a solo cruiser when you consider price. And I only really need the room to keep my clothes in, and for the bed/bathroom.

Unless I go on another cruise with family/friends (which, sadly, I don't see happening anytime soon), I have no real motivation to book anything other than an inside room.

Nope, just the thought of not being able to get fresh air or see whats outside or what time of day it is or where we are gives me the utter fear. Really claustrophobic. Even tho balconys are more expensive i would rather cruise a little less and go for a balcony or suite. Wish i could go for an interior and be happy but i know i would struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would be more willing if the window open but think an ocean view with an opening are few n far between if even they exist lol ??

Yeah, they tend not to have opening windows. Oceanviews are generally on the lower decks, closer to the water, so open windows or just insufficiently sealed gaps aren't going to go very well. I've seen those videos of oceanview cabin people in storms, filming the sea sloshing way up their window. You don't want that to leak. :-)

In answer to the original post, I prefer insides as a rule. I travel alone, so I'm generally paying more, anyway--paying even more than that isn't terribly appealing. I had a balcony once, and I only went out on it a couple of times. And that was Alaska. I'd rather be on the top decks with other people and things going on.

The only benefit I get from that outside access (a window or balcony) is to see that the sun's up in the morning (if I wake up in the middle of the night, is it 4 am? Or 8?) or to see if we've docked yet...practical information.

If all of the cabins cost the same, I'd book a balcony. Well heck, if they really cost the same, I'd book the president's suite. XD But it's not worth the price under the normal pricing scheme. I'm just going to sleep, shower, get changed...I'm not going to hang out in there.

I have a cruise coming up where the price has dropped yet again, and right now, oceanviews are the same price as insides. So I can rebook an oceanview for $40 less than I'm currently booked at--or an aft balcony for the same price! I'm happy to rebook to the oceanview, but I can't be bothered to pay the $40, basically. (It's only a $40 increase because it's a 2-day trip.)

When looking at prices for our cruises back in 2016, I gave my daughters a choice, 1 week on Oasis or 2 weeks on Carnival Dream, inside. They jumped at the 2 weeks! Price was perfect and even though there was 4 of us, we were fine. Just made the rule that everything had a home, not the floor.

Our first cruise was a Southern Caribbean and we had a balcony.

We only had one sea day and chose to have room service for breakfast on our balcony.

After that, each morning I would go out on the balcony and watch and video as we approached our next port.

One morning I was able to video a pod of dolphins surfing in the wake of the ship as we approach Martinique.

Since then we have booked inside staterooms on subsequent cruises.

However, on our upcoming cruise, we were upgraded to a balcony and we're really looking forward to it.Inside staterooms are OK for economics, but I love the natural light, fresh air and convenience of enjoying the scenery without having to run up on deck.

When we cruise we always book an inside cabin. (NCL) We also book the sailaway price that does not include any extras like the drinks package or shore excursions. Although I wouldn't mind having the drinks package, the price jump to inside cabin that does include the "free" perks plus the 20 percent gratuity one has to pay on the drinks package does not make economic sense to me. I can buy a couple of drinks a day and still be ahead of the game....

Back to my original topic. Does anyone else prefer inside cabin? We don't spend much time in the cabin and enjoy spending our time in different parts of the ship. If we do spend time during the day it's most likely to nap! I hear about people bidding for Haven suites etc and wonder if I'm odd that I don't aspire to that. Every cabin goes to the same places, has the same food and sees the same shows.

Michael B

We always book inside cabins and spend the savings on Premium Economy air seats (after suffering a pulmonary embolism) and/or excursions (or new camera lenses ...). We always say 'Next time we'll look for an Oceanview cabin' - but then look again at what we could do with the savings - camera lenses ... :)

Every cabin goes to the same places, has the same food and sees the same shows.

Actually depends on the cruiseline and the ship, not every cabin always has the same food or go to the same places. Some may have designated restaurant (e.g. Blu on X Solstice class for Aqua class cabin), or there could be a designated area for suite guests at the private island, access to suite lounge, for instance.

This aside, to the original question, we don't necessary "prefer" inside per se, but are fine to do an inside at any time. We usually look at how much is the differential between the different categories and see if the extras (space, window, balcony, perks, etc.) are worth it. Sometimes we may see a balcony cabin that is only about $100pp more for a 7-night cruise, so equivalent to paying $30/day more to get the open space, the slightly larger cabin, and in the case for HAL which is my favorite line, a bath tub. We think it is worth the extra $30/day. This isn't hard to find on HAL shorter cruises (meaning 7 days) on their Vista and Signature class ships (not on "S" class or "R" class though).

By the way, I am doing Inside GTY on my next cruise and am still anxiously waiting for cabin assignment :D:D

Edited by Friend100