Would you book a flight that has very few other seats booked?

01Sweetpea

I'm looking at booking flights from LGA to IAH in April on Delta for our Liberty OTS cruise. There is one non-stop flight of the day, but they have several 1 stop flights. The non-stop flight has only 6 seats booked on it. :eek:

United has non-stop flights with similar times & prices and more seats booked.

Delta is my preferred airline, but I'm nervous if more people don't book they may cancel the flight.

What would you book? :confused:

What makes you think they would cancel the flight? The plane will be needed for the Houston (you didn't say which airport) to "wherever" flight after yours. Then to another city and another city. (It's interesting to see how the planes just keep going from one city to the next. flightradar 24 is a great site to track planes especially if you have the tail number. They don't always just of back and forth from city to cit). But, back on topic....book the flight and just hope it is not crowded and enjoy the extra space. I once did a MIA-IAH flight on AA and there we only about 6 people on the entire flight. The FA's just said sit where you want hit the call button if you want anything. Best flight i ever had.

With such a low booking your changes of being upgrade to better seats are high. Of course this is coming from a person who has never flown nor care too. I remember my niece telling us that on more than one occasion she has been upgrade from coach to business.

With such a low booking your changes of being upgrade to better seats are high. Of course this is coming from a person who has never flown nor care too. I remember my niece telling us that on more than one occasion she has been upgrade from coach to business.

Unless you have elite status your chances of a free upgrade are pretty much zero today. And to be honest...a NYC to Houston flight....you chances are pretty much zero unless you are at the top of the elite ladder.

Thanks everyone. Since it's the only non-stop from LGA to IAH, but there are other LGA to IAH flights, but with stops, I didn't know if they would cancel because of low booking.

Looks like I'll book soon.

If all else fails (or the time isn't great) you can always go via EWR. United has, what seams like, almost hourly flights between the two. (IAH-EWR).

Just another option to think about.

They may change the plane to a smaller commuter plane. I always fly out of EWR, and ran into the same issues as you trying to fly into NOLA. Most flights were connecting and/or small commuter planes. I found a flight back into JFK that was nonstop and a regular big size jet, but I got an alert from Delta that they changed the plane to a commuter due to a lot of seats being available.

Just a heads up in case you're trying to avoid flying the commuter planes. My flight is in April and I think they switched it back to a large jet, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They may change the plane to a smaller commuter plane. I always fly out of EWR, and ran into the same issues as you trying to fly into NOLA. Most flights were connecting and/or small commuter planes. I found a flight back into JFK that was nonstop and a regular big size jet, but I got an alert from Delta that they changed the plane to a commuter due to a lot of seats being available.

Just a heads up in case you're trying to avoid flying the commuter planes. My flight is in April and I think they switched it back to a large jet, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

It's more possible to have a substitute aircraft on the EWR-MSY if you are flying United, due to the fact that EWR is a hub city for United. It is very unlikely that you will see a substitute aircraft on Delta for an LGA-MSY flight.

Thanks Everyone. In the end we decided on United, LGA to IAH. Close to the same times as the Delta flight, but on bigger planes. [emoji3]

Makes much more sense. IAH is a United hub. Something over 80% of the flights in and out of IAH are United. Much easier to get there on United if there's an issue with your flight.

Always check the on-time flight completion statistic for the flights you book. That said the airline is always able to transfer you to another airline if your flight is cancelled or delayed. However, once that happens you are no longer the customer of the original airline you booked on. Think of the time of year you are traveling and if weather can potentially impact travel. For example, Chicago gets congested during weather, aircraft are put into edct (expected departure clearance time) program, or even a ground delay program.

What makes you think they would cancel the flight? The plane will be needed for the Houston (you didn't say which airport) to "wherever" flight after yours. Then to another city and another city. (It's interesting to see how the planes just keep going from one city to the next. flightradar 24 is a great site to track planes especially if you have the tail number. They don't always just of back and forth from city to cit). But, back on topic....book the flight and just hope it is not crowded and enjoy the extra space. I once did a MIA-IAH flight on AA and there we only about 6 people on the entire flight. The FA's just said sit where you want hit the call button if you want anything. Best flight i ever had.

I had one of these from IAH to EWR once. It was AMAZING. Well, it was amazing until we had to turn around about an hour in [emoji23]

When it really comes down to it, OP, planes are needed for more than just one run. They won’t likely cancel just because right now, not many seats are booked. Plenty can change with seats between now and when you take off.