Train excursions in Limon, Costa Rica?

Floridapenny

I will be on a partial transit cruise on the Coral Princess in March and, because I love trains, I am considering taking a train excursion in Limon. Princess is offering two excursions involving trains. One is Banana Route Railway the other is Train, Tortuguero Canals and Countryside. Has anyone done either excursion or heard anything positive or negative about either?

Thank you.

We did the one with the Tortuguera Canal and enjoyed it. We had previously done much the same excursion in Puntarenas, except instead of canals we did the Tarcoles River. If you like trains, you will find it interesting.

enhance

enhance

We have only taken the train excursion in Limon, IIRC it also included a stop at a banana plantation as well. The coaches were nicely restored and I enjoyed it, but I like trains anyway. One added element of entertainment was it took 3 engines for us to complete the excursion. That's not to say there were three engines pulling a long train, it means that the first 2 gave up the ghost! I suspect that was not a rare occurrence as we never waited for very long for the replacement locomotive.