Beach in COSTA MAYA?

michelle028

Hello everyone,

First time in Costa Maya - I have been researching and found that you can take a taxi to Mahahual. Is this the name of the beach? How safe is it for swimming? Is the water very calm?

Also is there a specific place to ask to be dropped off? How easy is it to get a taxi back to the port?

Bruse is right this is the wrong side of mexico, but with that said, you don't need a cab, they have some funky buses that are like 2.00 per person, the beach is just a mile or so from the port. They will pressure you to go to the bar/beach club they suggest but you can just say no politely and find the beach club that works for you, they are all right there together. It is really just like a boardwalk full of vendors and beach clubs who want to sell you a drink and food. Super low key and relaxed

We spent the day at Tropicana. I can’t wait to go back to Costa Maya just to hang out on the beach. Took the open air thingy ($2 each) and got dropped off a block from the beach. Tropicana had good beer and food prices. Beach was great and calm with fish swimming around. Staff at Tropicana took us to specific stores when we asked about items (I was looking for a pharmacy, MIL for silver jewelry).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It’s all one beach - Mahahual. Take the open air tram just outside the port exit and get off at the second stop (it will all look run down but don’t be alarmed) and walk a few steps to Tropicantes and Krazy Lobster. The beach is free to all. The food at both restaurants is good and you can claim a lounger if you buy a beverage or snack. I would not advise going farther than the second stop. The beach gets more seaweed the farther you go. The section of beach near Krazy Lobster and Tropicantes was perfect for swimming and crystal clear. Have fun.

We spent the day at Tropicana. I can’t wait to go back to Costa Maya just to hang out on the beach. Took the open air thingy ($2 each) and got dropped off a block from the beach. Tropicana had good beer and food prices. Beach was great and calm with fish swimming around. Staff at Tropicana took us to specific stores when we asked about items (I was looking for a pharmacy, MIL for silver jewelry).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It’s all one beach - Mahahual. Take the open air tram just outside the port exit and get off at the second stop (it will all look run down but don’t be alarmed) and walk a few steps to Tropicantes and Krazy Lobster. The beach is free to all. The food at both restaurants is good and you can claim a lounger if you buy a beverage or snack. I would not advise going farther than the second stop. The beach gets more seaweed the farther you go. The section of beach near Krazy Lobster and Tropicantes was perfect for swimming and crystal clear. Have fun.

As a small correction, the name of the club is Tropicante No "s" and not the name of US orange juice brand.

Also the direction along the malecon is SOUTH from the cruiseport thus in directional terms--DOWN. Unless you're downunder in OZ:D

Nohoch Kay is a great beach club in Mahahual and yes you take a short taxi. Love that place, great food and margaritas!!! The town is super busy and this was at the end on a quieter area. Beach was gorgeous https://costamayacruiseexcursions.com/excursion/costa-maya-beach-break/

CFM, when was the last time you were at NK? Back when Jaime was the owner, it was a great place because he made sure his guests were taken care of. "Extensive menu and drink selection". Good chef in the kitchen. Great Bartender. DW loves Betty, one of the waitresses who's been there a long time. However, after Jaime sold his interest, the new partners/owner, changed things. The guy isn't held in very high esteem amongst the other club owners along the stretch. Our experience during the change over was that the menu changed now offering limited food and drink options. New servers were not as attentive. Price increased as well. And recent reports I've seen speak of the owner's rudeness to guests and the condition of the place deteriorating. Hoping things have improved. Used to be a great deal.

CFM, when was the last time you were at NK? Back when Jaime was the owner, it was a great place because he made sure his guests were taken care of. "Extensive menu and drink selection". Good chef in the kitchen. Great Bartender. DW loves Betty, one of the waitresses who's been there a long time. However, after Jaime sold his interest, the new partners/owner, changed things. The guy isn't held in very high esteem amongst the other club owners along the stretch. Our experience during the change over was that the menu changed now offering limited food and drink options. New servers were not as attentive. Price increased as well. And recent reports I've seen speak of the owner's rudeness to guests and the condition of the place deteriorating. Hoping things have improved. Used to be a great deal.

Jaimie now has his own place called Jaimie’s at the blue reef.

I was there today. It was fantastic.

Our group of 14 loved Jaimie and his staff.

For what it's worth, I totally agree with this assessment. I was there last spring, and pretty much everything that made Nohoch a cut above had gone downhill. My biggest gripe is that they now allow vendors to harass you, something Jaime never tolerated. Betty was still great, but not enough to save my visit. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't an awful experience, but it was well below the previous standards. I'll be trying out Maya Chan next time I'm in town.

We enjoyed Blue Kay a great deal in 2016. We could see the ship. $2 pp for tram. Got off first stop and walked back toward port about three beach clubs. Paid $5pp and got one drink and beach access. Waitress called us a cab to return to ship. $20 for nine of us in van. HTH

Sent from my iPad using Forums