QM2 dress code for women

chloe kitty

We just disembarked from the QM2. Prior to sailing, I referred to this site about the dress standard. Please stop giving misinformation. Men for the most part looked good, but many of the women wore house dresses to dinner on many evenings . It was embarrassing to wear good dressy evening clothes.

I agree with you and I've made that same observation on here myself in the past.

As you say, nearly all men with wear a suit/black tie. But a lot of women just wear trousers and what they laughingly often refer to as "a nice top". And that's what they wear on formal nights - and it's not formal wear at all.

It's also relates to the age of the lady; younger ladies will wear cocktail dress/evening gown, but older ladies will be in trousers and a blouse.

I totally disagree... I am an 'older' woman . I have been on QM2 3 times and will be sailing on her again very soon. I always wear an evening dress on formal nights and dress up on all other nights. And so do a great many others of all ages. To me it is part of the Cunard experience...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I totally disagree... I am an 'older' woman . I have been on QM2 3 times and will be sailing on her again very soon. I always wear an evening dress on formal nights and dress up on all other nights. And so do a great many others of all ages. To me it is part of the Cunard experience...

I didn't mean "all", but I certainly noticed that as age increases, the level of dress decreases. Obviously not all older ladies will be in a sparkly top and not all younger ladies will in a evening dress, but the percentages do change.

We just disembarked from the QM2. Prior to sailing, I referred to this site about the dress standard. Please stop giving misinformation.

Misinformation? May I say that it is difficult for readers of this forum to foresee who wears what on formal nights.

We just disembarked from the QM2. Prior to sailing, I referred to this site about the dress standard. Please stop giving misinformation. Men for the most part looked good, but many of the women wore house dresses to dinner on many evenings . It was embarrassing to wear good dressy evening clothes.

I’m sorry, but I find this to be an astonishing comment!

We are about to board QM2 and I have gone over the Cunard dress code and have also studied numerous photos from formal nights on board. I think Cunard’s information is very good and when you take into consideration the fact that all woman have such a wide range regarding taste, opinion and style when it comes to fashion - be it formal, young, old, Cunard or P&O you will never make everyone happy! But overall dress looked very formal to me [emoji126]

When women are involved, we will do as we have always done, we will all dress and do things as we interpret them; just as you obviously are doing too.

Cheers, Rose

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with you and I've made that same observation on here myself in the past.

As you say, nearly all men with wear a suit/black tie. But a lot of women just wear trousers and what they laughingly often refer to as "a nice top". And that's what they wear on formal nights - and it's not formal wear at all.

It's also relates to the age of the lady; younger ladies will wear cocktail dress/evening gown, but older ladies will be in trousers and a blouse.

"...but older ladies will be in trousers and a blouse"

Please don't include the older lady that tends to board with me Toad...

12519334823_08ef5dc5b7_z.jpg

Formal or informal

33834661794_d75e59771c_z.jpg

I've never felt embarrassed about setting a high standard of dress, either on Cunard or any other cruise line for that matter.

16596685396_85674bf871_z.jpg

I have to agree with everything said in this post. we sailed last year on a 17 day Mediterranean cruise on the Queen Victoria and were surprised to see how on most nights, including formal nights, the number of ladies wearing a simple pair of trousers and blouse. To prove my point we did a survey of people coming out of the Britannia restaurant on a formal night and out of 100 ladies approximately 50% were in trousers. Now in my opinion dressing up for a lady is to wear a nice dress or at least skirt and smart blouse. The majority of men had very nice dinner suits on. So come on those ladies in trousers make more of an effort

I have to agree with everything said in this post. we sailed last year on a 17 day Mediterranean cruise on the Queen Victoria and were surprised to see how on most nights, including formal nights, the number of ladies wearing a simple pair of trousers and blouse. To prove my point we did a survey of people coming out of the Britannia restaurant on a formal night and out of 100 ladies approximately 50% were in trousers. Now in my opinion dressing up for a lady is to wear a nice dress or at least skirt and smart blouse. The majority of men had very nice dinner suits on. So come on those ladies in trousers make more of an effort

Interesting observation/opinion, I don't personally wear trousers in the evening but they comply with the published dress code.

Evening trousers with a fabulous glitzy top can look stunning. Your description of a skirt and smart blouse sounds like something for the office!! [emoji848]

Thanks Toad "A house dress is a type of simple dress worn informally in the mornings at home for household chores or for quick errands.[1] The term originated in the late nineteenth century to describe at-home garments designed for maximum practicality and usually made from washable fabrics. It is directly descended from the Mother Hubbard dress.[2] Such dresses were a necessary part of the housewife's wardrobe in the early twentieth century and could be widely purchased through mail-order catalogues"

Mother Hubbard is what they are wearing on Cunard now, eh? Fabulous! Loving this thread, though I will still wear cocktail gowns and stilettos.

There are women who have osteoporosis or rheumatoid diseases and dresses present insurmountable dilemmas - (not to mention the flat heel, comfortable shoe that must be worn to ward off pain and hidden) and the dressy pants fulfil the need to dress with comfort and style.

So many of us are much more than the dress you think you see - we are just enjoying the cruise and have every right to enjoy a CUNARD cruise too.

Cheers, Rose

Edited by Porky55

Did you seriously spend your time counting the different types of clothing women were wearing 🤣 .......on your cruise??[emoji23]🤣[emoji23]

I would give anything to be a man and wear a “nice dinner suit”!! You have no idea how simple and obviously non polarising your options

This thread is an example - no one is writing about the varying shades of men’s dinner suits on QM2🧐🧐 - “so come on those men, make an effort gentlemen” or some such rubbish!!!

Give the ladies a break please, I’m about to board QM2 and if only I could just pack dinner suits in different shades......

Rose

Did you seriously spend your time counting the different types of clothing women were wearing 🤣 .......on your cruise??[emoji23]🤣[emoji23]

Give the ladies a break please, I’m about to board QM2 and if only I could just pack dinner suits in different shades......

Rose

Why not Porky, some of us already do...

39363110855_3ac8b78bc0_z.jpg

You could even do double and single breasted Black and White jackets as well.

:evilsmile::evilsmile:

Why not Porky, some of us already do...

You could even do double and single breasted Black and White jackets as well.

:evilsmile::evilsmile:

Why Solent Richard - I love [emoji177]your sense of humour, you would make a great table companion at dinner.

So, now to pack my formal dinner suits of many colours .......shame about the black one we have for DH.......[emoji57]

Cheers, Rose [emoji257]

Edited by Porky55

It would be interesting to see how many threads would be left if all those dealing with the dress code were removed!!

Cunard has a dress code and surely by now the majority of people should know this and be prepared to adhere to it. Otherwise don't sail on a Cunard ship. Simple really when you think about it.

I appreciate that if you are flying to or from your destination then weight comes into play with regard to packing, but we've just returned from a four weeks cruise with just two cases and managed so people should not use this as an excuse for not packing formal wear. For men it's easy. If you don't want to take a dinner suit, then a dark suit, slightly fancy white shirt and a bowtie will suffice; for ladies, yes a little more thought is needed. A long skirt with sparkly tops, and accessories can look good plus a couple of evening dresses. They don't have to be the 'sweeping the floor length', but a little longer than a day dress. If you have to wear the same outfit more than once, who cares and remember there is a self service laundry.

We were on the Queen Elizabeth and saw a number of men and women who we felt were incorrectly dressed and has been stated, the women were wearing trousers on formal nights.

I proudly wear very nice black pants and lovely tops - no one tells me what to wear- some bit of snobbery going on here?we never do less than 2 month cruises and dresses for me are a nono.;p

loerie, woman after my own heart - don’t now nor have I ever worn dresses except a school uniform.

Has absolutely nothing to do wth weight in my suit case, the price I pay, where I buy it from, or the label sewn inside. Just don’t do dresses and I promise not to judge those females that continue to wear them [emoji6]

IMG_2826.jpg.f6aff9557262c8940885fdb7e2ed9b64.jpg

Edited by Porky55

Formal:

Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies. A tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with appropriate neck wear for men or you may wear formal national dress and military uniform.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

“Evenings

Evenings will be split into 2 different dress codes. You will be notified of the evening's dress code in your Daily Programme. As a guide, these will be:

Formal:

Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies. A tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with appropriate neck wear for men or you may wear formal national dress and military uniform.”

Ray66, thank you so much for confirming this. Though I have read this numerous times myself. The issue should now be closed [emoji106]

Now off to enjoy my QM2 and QE cruises - dress snobs; avert your eyes 🤩

Edited by Porky55