Nassau - afternoon pub crawl

OceanBlue123

I will be spending a day in Nassau soon with my family and am thinking of doing an afternoon "pub crawl" on our own. We want to avoid the touristy places like Senior Frogs, but still stay within walking distance of our cruise ship. Which bars would you would recommend? Any special Bahamian and/or unique drinks we should try? We are all over 18, but one of us only drinks mocktails, so any interesting thoughts in the non-alcoholic area would also be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

I will be spending a day in Nassau soon with my family and am thinking of doing an afternoon "pub crawl" on our own. We want to avoid the touristy places like Senior Frogs, but still stay within walking distance of our cruise ship. Which bars would you would recommend? Any special Bahamian and/or unique drinks we should try? We are all over 18, but one of us only drinks mocktails, so any interesting thoughts in the non-alcoholic area would also be greatly appreciated!

We just returned from a quick nassau/princess cay iteneray and while we did the actual "pub crawl" excursion (and enjoyed it) I can not speak highly enough about the fish fry. The food was amazing, drinks flowed and the staff (particularly Kenny) were the best ever. Will need a cab though, I'm estimating about 2 miles past junkaroo beach by the fort - the jerk chicken, mac&cheese, peas&rice, and fried plantains were seriously out of this world and like $10. Oh and the fish snacks were incredible.

We just returned from a quick nassau/princess cay iteneray and while we did the actual "pub crawl" excursion (and enjoyed it) I can not speak highly enough about the fish fry. The food was amazing, drinks flowed and the staff (particularly Kenny) were the best ever. Will need a cab though, I'm estimating about 2 miles past junkaroo beach by the fort - the jerk chicken, mac&cheese, peas&rice, and fried plantains were seriously out of this world and like $10. Oh and the fish snacks were incredible.

Thanks! We will think about the Fish Fry but are really hoping to stay within walking distance of the ship on this visit.

We have never been to Nassau, but we will be there in a couple of weeks. We are also looking for hitting a few bars that are within walking distance. A few that I found online are Tiki Bikini Hut, Crabs and Tings, Gone Fishing, Frankie Goes Bananas, and Twin Brothers. These are all in the Junkanoo beach area.

• Like 1

We did the Bikini Tiki hut on our recent stay as well. ended up getting a drink package for a few hours at the beach. Good prices on local beers (Sands and Kalik). Worth a stop if you go far enough West to include the Junkanoo beach area. Also, from looking at a Google map search and from other reviews; Pirates Pub and Grill, The Tropicana Bar, Shenanigans Irish Pub, and the Crew Bar come across highly rated. All within a few blocks of the port.

Tons of bars within walking distance of port. If you want to go to Fish Fry, hop on the #10 bus ($1.25 per person) and ride there, then walk back. That's what we did last week.

I will have a trip report up next week maybe if I ever get all the photos and videos done.

robin

Tons of bars within walking distance of port. If you want to go to Fish Fry, hop on the #10 bus ($1.25 per person) and ride there, then walk back. That's what we did last week.

I will have a trip report up next week maybe if I ever get all the photos and videos done.

robin

How far of a walk is it to or from the fish fry?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you go, just be very careful with your wallets and credit cards, cameras, etc. We noticed at more than one establishment people who were possibly casing marks for robbery.

I hadn't even noticed the first guy, my DH noticed him as he had been sitting at the booth behind us when having lunch at Fish Fry. We had lunch, he had just a drink. He followed us out and on our walk back towards the ship, stopping every time we stopped, pretending to take photos when he did. I stopped quite a bit for photos or to look around, that is how we spotted him. Then we saw him point his phone towards us and he was talking into it like he was telling someone what we were wearing, etc. My DH immediately noted him and kept watching. He followed us for the whole walk back (he was dressed like a tourist). Then when we were at Tiki bar, we noticed another guy walking around taking photos of the bar staff, around and around always aiming at them, then noticed he was standing directly behind me at one point. I turned around and he immediately turned around and walked away. Don't know if they were together or two separate groups, but ..... just keep an eye out for anyone acting odd.

My DH works for the gov't and has to report to OSI on base before and after any travel/cruise. He told them about these incidents and they told him that is exactly how these groups work in Nassau. They have one guy as a spotter, who communicates with the other guy, who goes in for theft. Sometimes they have someone on a scooter grab bags as you walk by streets also, tho we never saw that.

Just a warning.... If you do get intoxicated, you could be a mark. We weren't even drunk, just carrying a couple of cameras and tote bag.

robin