tip the owner?

kasil

I have two private tour excursions set up where the tour company owner will be our tour guide. I generally give a tip to the guide and anyone else directly involved in giving the tour, but I've never been in this situation before. What's your opinion on tipping the owner?

I have two private tour excursions set up where the tour company owner will be our tour guide. I generally give a tip to the guide and anyone else directly involved in giving the tour, but I've never been in this situation before. What's your opinion on tipping the owner?

If you tip one person for doing a job, why wouldn’t you tip for the same job just because it’s the owner doing it.

Why do you feel the need to tip anyone? The employees of these tour companies are paid normal wages, not the wages that food service employees are paid!

No, you don't tip the small business owner, whether it's a tour guide or a hairdresser. The reason some people tip is to make up for (perceived) low wages, but that's not the case when it's the owner. If the owners want more money, they raise their rates, whereas an employee doesn't have the ability to do that.

We've been on a few tours where the owner is the guide, with or without a driver. We always offer a tip, usually accepted with thanks, sometimes they state they will be giving it to, or sharing it with, the driver.

Have never had anyone refuse a tip or act insulted! A couple of times in non-tipping cultures they acted quite surprised.

I suspect, but have never asked, that guides and drivers do get a rate of pay for the tour which is perhaps less than other jobs, and they may be expecting to make up the lower wage with tips.

If it is a very large touring company, usually the owner is not even around, or perhaps only at the starting point but acts more like a broker. In those cases we only tip the actual person doing the tour.

No, you don't tip the small business owner, whether it's a tour guide or a hairdresser. The reason some people tip is to make up for (perceived) low wages, but that's not the case when it's the owner. If the owners want more money, they raise their rates, whereas an employee doesn't have the ability to do that.

Trying to get my head around US tipping etiquette.. Let's say I go to a hairdresser who has 2 employees and all three of them, including the owner, do the exact same work. 2 expect to be paid 20% over what the bill says, and one doesn't? "I'd like an appointment next thursday. Yes, again with Mike please, certainly not Peter or Ivanka. I've got bills to pay, too".

Owning a business myself I know that if I raise the rates I would end up with less money because my pennywise clients would run to my competitors. And I still need to pay my Peter and Ivanka.

Mom and I took a wonderful private taxicab tour in Ketchikan, Alaska. The owner was our tour guide. I frankly did not think about the owner/employee distinction. I am used to tipping so I was prepared to tip. But also when the time we had contracted for was nearly up, my feeble, elderly Mom was happily browsing in a gift shop. When the tour guide saw me going to tell her "time's up," he stopped me. He said to let her shop as long as she wanted. He would not charge me for the extra time.

I chose to pay over the agreed price when we got back. Either I tipped him or paid what I thought was right for the extra time. Either way he gave us a great tour then he spared me a struggle with my mother. That's worth extra.

2 expect to be paid 20% over what the bill says, and one doesn't?

Well, that's a problem right there! No wonder you have a problem with US tipping "etiquette". So do I. I think they tip too often and too much; I think it's insulting to tell someone that they aren't expected or trusted to do their job properly without a "bribe". Personally, I'm of the "don't tip people for properly doing their job" school, and I think the fact that some food servers are allowed to be paid less than others is a shame and a sham.

Owners have significant control of their income, far more than employees, and so even though I give in to social pressure to tip waitstaff, I will not tip people for properly doing their job when they are the people who can raise their prices, lower their expenses, adjust their overhead, or change their staffing.

If you don't want to pay Peter and Ivanka, you don't have to -- you pay them because you want them working for you. That's your choice.

Owners have significant control of their income, far more than employees, and so even though I give in to social pressure to tip waitstaff, I will not tip people for properly doing their job when they are the people who can raise their prices, lower their expenses, adjust their overhead, or change their staffing.

Owners can also choose how to 'pay' themselves out of the business to reduce their taxable income. For example, in various jurisdictions dividends from the business are taxed at a significantly lower rate than salary.

I generally don't tip owners but do what you want.

Trying to get my head around US tipping etiquette.. Let's say I go to a hairdresser who has 2 employees and all three of them, including the owner, do the exact same work. 2 expect to be paid 20% over what the bill says, and one doesn't? "I'd like an appointment next thursday. Yes, again with Mike please, certainly not Peter or Ivanka. I've got bills to pay, too".

Owning a business myself I know that if I raise the rates I would end up with less money because my pennywise clients would run to my competitors. And I still need to pay my Peter and Ivanka.

I think not tipping the owner is no longer the case anymore.

The reasoning behind not tipping the owner is they set their rate at what they should be paid.

For example, if you book a tour through, "Tours by Locals," where your guide is essentially the owner, they specifically instruct you not to tip.

I don't tip the owner.

If you tip one person for doing a job, why wouldn’t you tip for the same job just because it’s the owner doing it.

Because it is bad etiquette..

Tipping the Owner

Technically, it is not considered proper etiquette to tip the owner of a business. Instead, the tip should go to the employees. If you frequent a business often, it's a nice gesture to tip generously in order to show your appreciation for services rendered, and to ensure great service in the future.

The 2 hairdressers working for the 'owner' PAY the OWNER rent on those chairs! Owner's do not get tips because they get 100% of the revenue. NOT 100% of profit, as there are operating expenses, but 100% of revenue.

The reasoning behind not tipping the owner is they set their rate at what they should be paid.

For example, if you book a tour through, "Tours by Locals," where your guide is essentially the owner, they specifically instruct you not to tip.

I don't tip the owner.

You can't use logic with people who've forgotten the reasons why tipping started in the first place and whose rationale is "because I want to..." :rolleyes:

Truly, our tipping culture has run amok.