Book through Travel Agent, through Azamara's website, or a 3rd party site?

CrimsonTider

My wife and I are planning on booking the 7 night Adriatic Wonders voyage from Venice sailing in Sept 2018. One area I haven't found much information on is the recommended way to book your cruise.

I'm aware that if you google "do I need a travel agent for a cruise" 8 out of 10 articles will recommend using a TA. Most of these articles are also written by TAs. So, do any of you have a recommendation or have you gotten better deals booking directly through Azamara's site or through 3rd party sites?

Thank you

You don’t give your location, certainly the U.S.A travel agents give better perks than the UK ones.

You need to enquire about perks and choose the one who give the most, whether it’s direct with the cruise company, or a T.A.

Unfortunately, we cannot give recommendations about a T.A, as that’s against the rules of the site.

Edited by upwarduk

I’d get quotes from a couple of TAs and direct from Azamara and then compare them, also you can go back to TAs and say you can get a better deal elsewhere and see what they can come up with. You may get an offer of OBC, or free WiFi etc from either a TA or from Azamara with particular promotions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For many years I booked directly, mainly because I knew some people in the office that I could talk to very easily and I was happy managing my own booking. Then came the call centre in Guatemala and it all changed. Quickly. Now I have a travel agent recommended to me by a friend who will speak to them on my behalf and rid me of the frustration. Added to that he gives me a kick back on the commission in the form of £££ off. It was a great decision I don’t regret.

Phil

I’d get quotes from a couple of TAs and direct from Azamara and then compare them, also you can go back to TAs and say you can get a better deal elsewhere and see what they can come up with. You may get an offer of OBC, or free WiFi etc from either a TA or from Azamara with particular promotions.

I don’t value OBC at all if it’s an option. Especially on Azamara where drinks are included and the shore excursion bookIng system is so clunky. Give me money off the cruise if you can and then I’m not forced to spend my "saving".

Phil

I also use a travel agent over booking with Azamara directly. I find the website frustrating. We also book pre and post hotel stays and our agent will also arrange ground transportation.

There is no difference in price just increased internal calm.

When you look at the business model, it makes no sense for Azamara to undercut its agents. It would reduce the number of opportunities to sell its product.

This is similar to the IT industry where I worked for years. Small suppliers would have distributor relationships to sell their products worldwide. During various discussions, most companies would stand their ground and say that they could not lower their price below their distributors. Often they would bring in the distributors as partners to the deal.

Years back I was fortunate to find a TA that gives the best OBC, excellent service and is reliable.

Obviously, I can book on the ship and turn the booking over to her or I can call and book directly.

We like OBC. I have to use the Internet for my teaching responsibilities and we like to make a few purchases in the gift shop (last sailing I purchased two lovely watches of good quality), shore excursions and our upgrade to the higher level beverage package. I cannot drink what Azamara provides for whites or red wines and only drink two specific wines and they will not be on the complimentary daily wine offerings. Everyone to their own thing!

Thanks all. Very helpful tips

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

.Really easy. You can always equal or beat the cruise line price with a TA. Have no idea what you are talking about with a third party site. Many TA's give cash back (in the US) and sometimes the TA will get special deals only for them from the cruise line with OBC, Prepaid Gratuities when not included in the fare, etc.

And, a good TA is there to go to bat for you when issues arise. Ask yourself, who .would you want fighting the cruise line if there are or were problems; someone employed by the cruise line or an independent third party who works for you and fights for you so that he or she can get a commission on your next cruise.

It's really a no brainer to book with a TA and NEVER book directly with the cruise line.

I also use a travel agent over booking with Azamara directly. I find the website frustrating. We also book pre and post hotel stays and our agent will also arrange ground transportation.

There is no difference in price just increased internal calm.

Nicely said! Love that.

We mostly tend to book cruise only when onboard and then transfer our booking to our friendly travel agent to finalise the deal. This often works in our favour with some additional discounting off the price. She also gets us some very good rates on flights and hotels if we don’t use our air miles.

I always recommend a TA.

Why?

Because they can offer you amenities beyond what the cruise line offers.

If they are good at what they do they can cut trough red tape and take care of details for you.

And most important should something go wrong with the cruise line/cruise they can be your advocate.

Keith

I always recommend a TA.

Why?

Because they can offer you amenities beyond what the cruise line offers.

If they are good at what they do they can cut trough red tape and take care of details for you.

And most important should something go wrong with the cruise line/cruise they can be your advocate.

Keith

Shame TA can’t be recommend as would love to have offer of perks OBC. Never found one that does.