How do you fly home with duty free alcohol from a Caribbean cruise?

elainemasey61

In the distant past, I would buy alcohol in St. Thomas, etc and it would be delivered to the ship before it sailed. You would get those telltale boxes the final night. At that time you could carryon the plane those boxes or check(?) the box with luggage. How do you take it home now? I don’t want to pay for an extra bag.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In the distant past, I would buy alcohol in St. Thomas, etc and it would be delivered to the ship before it sailed. You would get those telltale boxes the final night. At that time you could carryon the plane those boxes or check(?) the box with luggage. How do you take it home now? I don’t want to pay for an extra bag.

Thanks

I pack in my suitcase and hope for the best when in your situation. Can you get a ziplock bag big enough just in case? What I usually do is wait until I'm in the US then buy before my last flight home to Canada since liquor is like it's free in the US for us Canadians!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

today I typically find it costs less at Total Wine!

Plus 1. "Duty Free" shops in airports are a monumental ripoff for the most part.

Stores like Total Wine, BevMo as well as Costco and Safeway (in those states where commercial liquor sales are possible) have far better values.

How much are you really saving? I pretty much drink only Tanqueray gin, which I can’t get at home for $32 for a 1.75L bottle. Even if was totally free I’m not sure I would go thru the hassle. Maybe if I bought more expensive booze it might be worth it.

Thanks all. I’m guessing the days of buying alcohol in the Caribbean are over. It was a random thought this afternoon but you are correct, not worth the hassle. I was at Total Wine the other day and they have plenty of Caribbean brands. I can buy here and pass off as souvenirs. [emoji3]

Hardly worth the effort. You can't take ANY liquids over 3.4 oz onto the plane in your hands or carry on. You'll have to pack it in your checked bags somehow...hope it doesn't put you over the weight limit or break during the flight. I can't imagine the "savings" are worth the effort.

How much are you really saving? I pretty much drink only Tanqueray gin, which I can’t get at home for $32 for a 1.75L bottle. Even if was totally free I’m not sure I would go thru the hassle. Maybe if I bought more expensive booze it might be worth it.

Therein lies your real problem. You need to try some Bombay Sapphire or Hendricks.

Therein lies your real problem. You need to try some Bombay Sapphire or Hendricks.

I’ve tried both of those, while I thought they were good, I didn’t think they were worth the extra cost. Especially since I’m mixing it with tonic water. Guess I’m just a cheap date, or just cheap.[emoji41]

I fly with checked alcohol all the time. Just put it in the middle of the suitcase and support the neck of the bottle. If it comes in the fancy tube, just stuff some socks or something small in there. I’ve never had any break. If it’s already open, just wrap the neck and cap with duct tape.

The prices in the Caribbean are not sufficiently below those at home for it to be worth the possible over-weight or extra bag charges or the hassle.

Perhaps stopping at UPS or FedEx on the way to the airport and letting them ship it home for you. Their $50 to $60 or so charge might not use up your savings on purchase - but it would come close.

We bring home booze from the Caribbean in our checked luggage every time we’re there. There are brands there we can’t get in Canada. We’ve never been overweight because we fly underweight coming down, and offload more to our carryons if necessary. We’ve never had anything break, and I’ve never thought it was a hassle. Easy peasy, actually.

I’ve tried both of those, while I thought they were good, I didn’t think they were worth the extra cost. Especially since I’m mixing it with tonic water. Guess I’m just a cheap date, or just cheap.[emoji41]

Okay, let's move you up one more notch to Botanivore (if you can find it locally):

http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/spirits/gins/st-george-botanivore-gin/

As for the Sapphire: at Costco, the 1.75L is only about $30. Hendrick's is a bit more. I've also see that size Sapphire on sale at under $35 at BevMo and Safeway here in California.

Even if you need to adulterate the drink with Tanqueray, try an Aviation cocktail: Gin, Maraschino Liquer, lemon juice and Creme de Violette. Check liquor.com for the recipe and try it first at a cocktail bar that has the "violette" before investing in the ingredients. I pretty much guarantee that it will be you new favorite cocktail.

Next time, let's talk Side Car!

If I lived in the US I would never bother. Being from Canada, the duty free price is about 1/3 what we pay at home so it works great for me.

Yes - but you could cross the border and pay even less than "duty free."

Yes - but you could cross the border and pay even less than "duty free."

Not sure I follow. Even if someone did live close to the border, we need to be out of the country a minimum of 48 hours to be allowed to bring in any alcohol, so it wouldn't make any sense to go cross the border any time.

We don’t do it. We just went to Grand Cayman and we absolutely loved this vanilla rum!!! It was fantastic! But it’s not worth trying to get it home. Can’t wait until we move to Florida when we retire and we can drive home after a cruise. Then we will absolutely buy the alcohol!