Flying from the UK to Miami

serenmae

Serenmae,

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Many of us make our own airfare arrangements.

Glad you are flying in early. If you can arrive two days before the cruise all the better and this is a nice time of the year to be in Miami. You likely will have nice weather.

Keith

Two days is ideal for us. We have a chance to shop in Florida, buy our wine and Downy Wrinkle Release to take on board, and usually cheaper sunscreen than in the UK. And we have an extra day to adjust to the time difference. If our luggage tries to take a separate holiday, it has a better chance of catching up with us.

Having done this many times, we typically arrive the day before but get an early flight if possible. I agree with the previous poster that 2 days would be even better but 1 day should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like two days or more for a few reasons.

If flight is cancelled you have more options.

You get over the jet lag.

If there are any issues with the luggage you have more time for them to recover it.

And since you are coming from weather that will be cold you can enjoy the warmth of Miami.

Keith

We have done both..arranged our own flights and accommodation and stayed for 3-4 days pre cruise, also booked whole package with cruiseline.

It is also worth checking out the cruiseline flight and hotel package as sometimes this can be more reasonable.

If flying in day before or day of cruise, I would definitely book with cruiseline. If going to a 'new' embarkation port, we tend to let cruiseline take the strain (South America in January)

Going somewhere we are familiar with, we tend to make our own arrangements. (Fort Lauderdale, Seattle, Houston with RCCL)

Years ago, we had booked a whole package to Miami/Fort Lauderdale and British Airways decided to strike over the Easter period. Cruise line was responsible for getting us to the ship in time, which they did, but it was very frustrating waiting for them to do it...they have lots of passengers to re route, we could have done it at our speed and re routed using something more suitable to us.

If you have never been to Miami it is worth flying in a few days early and staying at South Beach. Soaking up the heat and atmosphere.

I have been to Miami and Fort Laurderdale multiple times so I only fly in the day before now.

I have never done a fly/cruise. I always book my cruise and flights independently. I find I have more flexibility that way.

I realise that if my case goes missing I would be out of luck in regards to it catching up with me. But in my hand luggage I always have a swimming suit, shoes, shorts a nice dress. So I would be OK.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

Was on a transatlantic this year from UK to Miami. Majority of passengers were from UK. Unlike many of us Americans, they were enthralled by the palm trees, vegetation, and the different ambiance of Florida. There are also beautiful white sand beaches at many hotels. So I say go for 2 days.

I think you will find the price of the hotel much cheaper if you book it yourself than through the cruise line. You can choose a hotel that has the amenities you want. Also, the taxi cost from the hotel to the port will probably be reasonable enough to not have to hang around for the cattle call cruise line bus (which you pay for in the hotel package price).

I would check the Florida departure boards for more info on hotels, etc.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Forums mobile app

I'm in Texas and I'm not fond of our beaches. So I'm going to fly in 2 days early just to be able to enjoy a day at a nice beach, maybe go to So. Beach. Just chill.

There are expensive hotels and reasonably priced hotels and everything in between.

Though it's not SoBe, the Confidante (it's a Hyatt) offers reasonably priced rooms on the beach. Intercontinental is very nice but it's a bay view rather than on the beach (but walking distance to a lot at Bayfront park).