Rhine water levels 2018 and similar topics

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:14 AM.
Rhine, Germany
2,456 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
It is sunny today almost over all of Germany and the temperatures in the Rhine valley will reach double digits today and tomorrow. Clouds will bring rain and cooler temperatures from Friday onwards and it could snow - in Cologne for example - on Saturday. Wind, storm in the higher hills, will make this feel a bit unpleasant.

River levels: they will fluctuate little and according to the predictions there will be no flooding anytime before 22nd March (right now looking promising for the following two to three days after that as well).

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Transocean Belvedere Danube April 2013
English Channel Crossings 1984 to present:
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Dutch island hopping 1980's
Many Rhine river short trips
Central NY
633 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Thank you for the updates. I'm leaving next week for the Rhine and although it's a little warmer there than here, I'd love for it to go up a few more degrees. Can you work on that?

In any case, I'm looking forward to my first river cruise!
Rhine, Germany
2,456 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Will try and work on that, SnowshoeCat, will try.

Have a great trip.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,456 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
It is cold, too cold for this time in March and while it is forecast to be milder towards the weekend and into next week, there are no signs of Spring. Snowmelt is dragging into April then, meaning the river levels will rise. Currently the river is low for winter, around the mean or slightly below. Which is good of course to allow for snow from the Swiss Alps, the Black Forest and the Vosges mountains. They all drain their water into the Rhine (either directly or by means of tributaries).

Current temperature in Mannheim is zero degrees - with snowfall!

Yet, looking out of my window here - I am quite a distance away from Mannheim - it has brightened up and we have no snow.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,456 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
The temperature has risen - for now - and it is lovely and sunny. The neighbour's cat is sleeping in the flower bed, which is always an indicator here with me that the weather is pleasant.

I heard yesterday that beer gardens are being prepared for opening, most of them probably want to be ready for the, somewhat early, Easter weekend trade, meaning day trippers and locals mainly.

The coming week will bring rain, though. Some rise in the river levels is imminent but the prediction does not bring the river up to flooding level from what I could see. We sometimes get "Easter flooding" due to the rising temperatures in March but this year it does not look likely.

Here is a pre- or post-cruise tip for those of you who would like to be on water for more than just the cruise: Lake Constance. The historic paddle steamer will take you across the lake to see the sights: https://www.bodensee-vorarlberg.com/...ff-hohentwiel/

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Northern California
35 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Thank you Notamermaid for your great news on the Rhine water levels! We leave today for Amsterdam and board the AMAStella on Monday! This is our first river cruise and we are very excited and looking forward to seeing all of the great sites along the river! We're ready with our "layered" clothes, ponchos, gloves and umbrellas! After the cruise, we are headed to Basel, Zurich, Lake Como and finally Milan ... and The Last Supper ... before heading home. Thank you for all of your helpful updates!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Rhine, Germany
2,456 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Hello CYS,

my pleasure. I hope you have a pleasant flight and great cruise. And maybe the weather will be warm enough for a beer in a beer garden!

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,456 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Things are pleasantly calm in the Middle Rhine valley, it is not as rainy (yet) as has been predicted and the latest prediction for the river level shows a rise that will not take us near any flooding level status.

I would like to pick up on a story that I posted in 2016: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show...2308253&page=2 at #25

It is almost certain that the metal object in the river bed is the lost steam engine and the railway enthusiasts have made plans to raise the engine. It will happen in October 2018 (current schedule as of January this year) and the regional television station SWR will cover the event in a special. Here is the German page with the details: https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/rp/jah...3jp/index.html The title of the page says the decade-long treasure hunt for the lost "Rhein" was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I can well believe it. The drone flight video shows the site where they assume the engine lies covered with stones and sand. By the way, such endeavours are always costly, so the museum in Darmstadt-Kranichstein is still looking for sponsors... The video commentator says that the spot is in a nature reserve inaccessible from land. The water is only 2.5m high but the engine is 5m deep down in the ground.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,456 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Easter is approaching and I am busy with shopping, we have a public holiday here tomorrow with full shop closure and again on Monday with full shop closure. It is relatively pleasant and it has not rained as much in some parts as had been predicted. Nevertheless the water level is rising as the higher temperatures mean less rain falls as snow and snow is melting in the high hills, mainly Switzerland, of course. Maxau, which is a good indicator for impending flooding, shows a marked rise but it will not bring us close to flooding status. In fact, looking into April, the level will fall again and it looks good for sailing (tentatively) up to around the 10th of April. The downside of the slow approach of Spring is of course that it is not as green in the gardens as it could be around this time of year. Oh well, you cannot have it all...

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Florida
1,539 Posts
Joined May 2007
Thanks for the updates Notamermaid.

I have clients arriving in Basel on Monday, I forget that the religious holidays are celebrated a greater length in Europe. Do you think they will find it an issue to have dinner in Basel on Monday?

Glad to hear the river levels appear to be okay for cruising.

I will be cruising the Rhine the first week of August, I will be sure to keep an eye on this very helpful thread.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Upcoming
AmaStella Captivating Rhine 7/30/18
Royal Princess Eastern Caribbean Treasures 01/26/19
Sailed
Celebrity Equinox Deep Southern Caribbean 10/16/17
Harmony of the Seas Western Caribbean 06/17/17
AmaSonata Christmas Markets of the Danube 12/05/16
AmaPrima Christmas Markets of the Danube 12/14
Celebrity Equinox Ultimate Caribbean 2/2014
Celebrity Equinox Med and Adriatic 6/2013
Celebrity Eclipse 14 night Baltics 6/2012
RCI Mariner of the Seas Eastern Med 6/2011
Carnival Dream Western Caribbean 6/2010
RCI Navigator of the Seas Western Med 6/2009
NCL GEM Western Med 5/2008
Carnival Legend Western Caribbean 7/2007
Australia for 10 wonderful days 8/2006
Rhine, Germany
2,456 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Basel being in Switzerland I am not familiar with observance of holidays and closures from first-hand knowledge. Perhaps a past cruiser can help. I cannot imagine restaurants being closed, though, as Basel is such a large town I am sure they will find something that suits their needs. Perhaps the tourist information centre (contact details at the bottom of the page) can help with specific questions: https://www.basel.com/en

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Florida
1,539 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by notamermaid
Basel being in Switzerland I am not familiar with observance of holidays and closures from first-hand knowledge. Perhaps a past cruiser can help. I cannot imagine restaurants being closed, though, as Basel is such a large town I am sure they will find something that suits their needs. Perhaps the tourist information centre (contact details at the bottom of the page) can help with specific questions: https://www.basel.com/en

notamermaid
Thanks! They fly today and already Lufthansa has a delay on their flight.... that airline causes me the most grief.... so hopefully they will make it in time for dinner. I told them that their hotel concierge should be able to assist.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Upcoming
AmaStella Captivating Rhine 7/30/18
Royal Princess Eastern Caribbean Treasures 01/26/19
Sailed
Celebrity Equinox Deep Southern Caribbean 10/16/17
Harmony of the Seas Western Caribbean 06/17/17
AmaSonata Christmas Markets of the Danube 12/05/16
AmaPrima Christmas Markets of the Danube 12/14
Celebrity Equinox Ultimate Caribbean 2/2014
Celebrity Equinox Med and Adriatic 6/2013
Celebrity Eclipse 14 night Baltics 6/2012
RCI Mariner of the Seas Eastern Med 6/2011
Carnival Dream Western Caribbean 6/2010
RCI Navigator of the Seas Western Med 6/2009
NCL GEM Western Med 5/2008
Carnival Legend Western Caribbean 7/2007
Australia for 10 wonderful days 8/2006
Rhine, Germany
2,456 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Good idea, wednesday, about the hotel concierge, I am sure he or she will be able to assist.

The weather is certainly getting more pleasant. While it will still be cold in the mornings - take your gloves to outdoor tours if you are prone to cold hands - temperatures in the afternoon will be in the double digits and could well reach between 20 and 24 degrees in some parts of the valley next weekend. Some rain is forecast but not everyday in every part of the valley. The river level looks good well into April (meaning 12th to 13th), Maxau in the Upper Rhine valley is currently around the mean - well away from any problems with high or low.

Spring also brings Bonn (and a few other not so well-known places) a spectacle that is eagerly awaited by locals and photographers. Cherry tree blossoming: http://www.bonn-region.de/overv/cher...-festival.html They are the Japanese cherry blossom trees planted for decorative purposes and are really lovely. I shall venture out to a street not far from where I live that is almost as good as the street in Bonn, I should think...

If you happen to be on a cruise soon, perhaps find out locally if you might be able to catch such a sight, perhaps Strasbourg or Cologne or, indeed, Bonn. Of course, there might be some planted where you live.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,456 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
It is quiet in my part of the Rhine valley with people enjoying the Spring days, shopping for home and garden - the DIY shops are busy. Garden and Spring festivals are attracting crowds this weekend and it is certainly now very pleasant outside. Temperatures are forecast to rise to 23 or 24 degrees in parts of the valley today. The weather is looking very mixed during the coming week, with cooler days and rain, some thunderstorms could happen as well. General unsettled weather like we always expect it in April.

The river level is looking very good - sort of hovering around the (statistical) mean at the station in Maxau in the Upper Rhine valley. Looks fine till 16th April at least.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Grayson, Ga
3 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
Thanks for the updates. We are taking Viking from Amsterdam to Basel on Saturday so we will be eagerly watching for your posts. This is our first and we are looking forward to it.
Rhine, Germany
2,456 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
I find it a good site for easy-to-find information on European water levels, a lot of effort has obviously gone into compiling the site. For an overview of the general situation I would say this is really good. The problem is finding something better that covers Europe as a whole. I have not been succesful so far, but I found this site that you may want to have a look at and compare it to the one you posted: https://www.riverapp.net/?locale=en, I know nothing about it. For Germany and to give you my info on the Rhine I use the official federal or land government or water-related authorities' websites. They are elwis, pegelonline and hochwasserportal. They provide me with figures that I have learnt to relate to the situation I see and hear on the news. They are very reliable for showing flooding in general terms, but cannot reflect local things like a very low bridge, like in Passau on the Danube. In low water situations those sites fail when the water gets so low that the captain of a ship decides he will not attempt to sail a certain stretch of river. However, the sites can indicate that a river is getting close to such situations happening.

It would be interesting to hear from river cruisers who have used either site - or both sites - and related it to their situation on the river, and possibly the situations when the site could not help.

Thank you for posting the site and your question.

Are you going on a river cruise?

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Rhine, Germany
2,456 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
It is a pleasant weekend in the Middle Rhine valley with lots of sunshine and mild temperatures. The foliage is getting greener and greener. Budding trees and blossoming tulips are all around in parks and countryside. The river level at Maxau in the Upper Rhine valley has fallen below the mean. This means that the level looks comfortable for sailing for quite a few days, officially until 22 April but as it is not raining substantially, probably longer than that. It could fall further possibly showing up as a bit on the low side on some charts but it will not pose any problems soon.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
west lakes shore
84 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by notamermaid
It is a pleasant weekend in the Middle Rhine valley with lots of sunshine and mild temperatures. The foliage is getting greener and greener. Budding trees and blossoming tulips are all around in parks and countryside. The river level at Maxau in the Upper Rhine valley has fallen below the mean. This means that the level looks comfortable for sailing for quite a few days, officially until 22 April but as it is not raining substantially, probably longer than that. It could fall further possibly showing up as a bit on the low side on some charts but it will not pose any problems soon.

notamermaid
Just wondering what the weather will be like at the first week in may, we are doing a river cruise from Prague thru to London just wondering if we pack for heat or cold we come from australia so it will be getting cooler here

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[ncess[/IMG]
Rhine, Germany
2,456 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Hello aussiecruiselover67,

temperatures are rising and in May mornings will generally be warmer than they are now, but afternoon temperatures will be unusually high this week, falling again next week to more normal figures for April, so this week is not the norm. To give you an idea of what I mean have a look at this graph of Mainz from a German website: https://www.wetteronline.de/wetter/mainz On the right is the graph for 14 days, the main part of the page shows the four day forecast. You can change that to 8 days or 16 days if you like. Where it says Das Wetter in... at the top of the page you can put in a town of your choice (you might need to put in the German town names, i.e. Prag, etc. if English spellings do not work). You will go through several microclimates on your journey and will probably encounter warm and cool days with little or much rain, seeing that the journey is quite long (16 days?). There should be very few days with night frost, though, if any, as I said, May is mild and you will not be in the high hills, seeing that you are not going to Switzerland.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover