Putting luggage out on the last night...ughhh!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:12 AM.
Maybe near you.
1,722 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by mcgratru
This kind of freaks me out. Not only the idea that anyone going by in the hall could take it but that they can also just walk up and take it once off the ship.

We did this once on our first cruise and we could have taken any bag we wanted in the terminal without anyone stopping us.

It also means that our baggage has been out of our control between packing it and presenting it at airport security.

We have always self disembarked since (and only ever have one bag each) and always been early getting off.

Cruise in July out of FLL and don’t need to be off early as our flight is not until 3:00....is there later self disembark?
A friend of mind was so paranoid that a PAX would steal his luggage in the middle of the night after he put them outside his cabin, that before he went to bed tied fishline from his luggage to his big toe. When he felt a tug on his toe, it would wake him up. get out of bed, and go outside his cabin to be sure it was crew staff taking his luggage, and not some thieving PAX stealing his luggage. He does that routine on every cruise.
Maybe try that, if it will relieve your anxiety.
Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Former inmate San Quentin Prison, CA. Now enjoying my freedom and cruising after serving hard time. Back in the day, if you looked at me wrong, or disrespected me, I would hurt you or try to kill you. But then, I found Jesus. Praise the Lord!

Florida
1,399 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by TwoCruisers
Several years ago when we were looking for our luggage in the warehouse we only found one of two bags. We looked everywhere and even got a Princess Representative to help us. When the warehouse was emptied out our bag was still missing. We were just about ready to fill out a missing bag report when someone returned with our missing bag. They had mistakenly taken it thinking it was theirs. They didn’t realize their mistake until it was being placed into the luggage compartment of a bus. Our bag had brightly colored ribbons on the handle. How can anyone take a bag without checking to see if it is theirs?
That happened to me at an airport carousel. I had a brightly colored nylon handle wrap velcroed to the luggage handle. I also had a tag with my name & address on handle. A man took my bag. I ran after him saying he had my luggage. My husband ran after me yelling that I was wrong! I stopped the man, looked at the tag and told him it was MY luggage. It was ... my name & address was on the label.
Palm Springs, Calif
41,958 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Grammy spo, that was the first thing we were told by friends for our 1st cruise, was to leave clothes out before going to bed so we had something to wear. I usually leave them on my night stand along with shoes.I also will do a final walk through to make sure nothing got missed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email: GLea472968 at aol dot com
Alternate : Lea dot [email protected] dot between the Lea&gaye

Emerald Roll Call https://1drv.ms/x/s!AvfqBeEKG865gS9gpwAxZ30RRIDl
Las Vegas
11,566 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by TwoCruisers
Several years ago when we were looking for our luggage in the warehouse we only found one of two bags. We looked everywhere and even got a Princess Representative to help us. When the warehouse was emptied out our bag was still missing. We were just about ready to fill out a missing bag report when someone returned with our missing bag. They had mistakenly taken it thinking it was theirs. They didn’t realize their mistake until it was being placed into the luggage compartment of a bus. Our bag had brightly colored ribbons on the handle. How can anyone take a bag without checking to see if it is theirs?
Sometime look at the number of bags w brightly colored ribbons on them. There are lots of them. I once accidently took my rather unique looking suitcase with ribbons and didn't realize my mistake until I got to hotel room at 2 AM in the morning. To make it worse, the suitcase that was not mine did not have any ID either outside of or inside the suitcase. In my defense, it was really late, I had been flying all day (Las Vegas - Minneapolis - Anchorage - Fairbanks [don't ask why we went to Minneapolis]) and I was really tired.

Things got sorted out the next morning when I returned the suitcase to the airport and mine had already been returned. It was embarrassing however.

BTW - we never worry about leaving our luggage in the hall. Do it all the time.

DON
Greenville, SC, USA
53,926 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by Kingofcool1947
A friend of mind was so paranoid that a PAX would steal his luggage in the middle of the night after he put them outside his cabin, that before he went to bed tied fishline from his luggage to his big toe. When he felt a tug on his toe, it would wake him up. get out of bed, and go outside his cabin to be sure it was crew staff taking his luggage, and not some thieving PAX stealing his luggage. He does that routine on every cruise.
Maybe try that, if it will relieve your anxiety.
Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.
Thanks for an early morning laugh
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
1 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
If you wanted to worry you should be more concerned about the TSA at the airport. They essentially have complete access to your bags and I have had many small items like pocket knives stolen by the TSA. I have heard there is no cameras in the baggage inspection areas which makes it easy for those folks to slip small items in their pockets and you have little or no control over it. I would be less concerned of thief on board the ships, which after many cruises have never experienced a problem.
407 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by Kingofcool1947
A friend of mind was so paranoid that a PAX would steal his luggage in the middle of the night after he put them outside his cabin, that before he went to bed tied fishline from his luggage to his big toe.
Not sure who would want my dirty clothes?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
8 Princess, 2 RCCL, 1 HAL, 1 NCL (All Caribbean Itineraries)
14,253 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by CATGUY7
Last cruise I forgot to leave out my shoes. Thought I was going to have to wear my Princess slippers! Luckily my son had an extra pair in his carry-on. And luckily they weren’t way too big for Mom!
my morning laugh..thanks....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
L RI
2018 cruises completed Pacific Coastal Ruby...Mar.-Apr.
2017 cruises completed MR Emerald... Nov.-Dec. Scandinavian. Crown... Aug-Sept.... South East Asia...Majestic..June-July... Caribbean...Anthem..Mar.- April ...South America... Crown.. Jan.-Feb
Still favor land trips best, but as I log more sea and river days on ships and hours on CC , I might become a "Cruise Lover" sooner than I think or am I already?
1983 1ST Ocean Liner Cruise Caribbean, Carnivale
2006 River Cruise China, Viking Century
My avatar is of a Marine Iguana the most amazing reptile ever, indigenous to the Galapagos......swam with his friends in the Galapagos islands, while traveling on X's Xpedition in 2009 & 2010.....take time to enjoy experiences with nature and it's underwater wonders.

Saint John, New Brunswick
5,406 Posts
Joined May 2005
All the years on this board and I'm not aware of any issues being brought up with someone having luggage stolen or something stolen out of their luggage when it was left out at night. Anyone hear of any such incident?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

5 reasons to use Linux
http://brajeshwar.com/2008/choose-li...windows-vista/[/b]
14,253 Posts
Joined May 2005
I have not read thru all the posts..

But here is my strong suggestion...... if disembarking on a ship tour...I highly recommend you take your own luggage...not only will it save you time looking at the terminal, it will ensure you make your excursion.

Last July on Majestic....10 of us were still looking for luggage after the initial delivery of luggage for those on the tour....
We and another couple were the final 2 couples waiting....ours ended up coming 2 hours later from the ship, appropriate tag still attached theirs was taken by another person, I found this out later at the airport.....both of us missed the tour. Ours was a 28" bag theirs carry-on size, easy to make a mistake.

Suggestion that was made to me when relaying my story in the airport was to put duck tape on the top of your luggage when you put your luggage out at night...so if someone if helping you look it can be easily identified.

I have always used other identifiers but I thought this made great sense, especially after searching and having others help me search thru a sea of bags, in that chaotic terminal in Shanghai.
Fredericton, NB, Canada
239 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
My $0.02 worth - security of contents of suitcases is compromised from the time you leave home until the time you arrive back. From airline staff to hotel staff to dockside porters to onboard staff, there are SO many people that have access that you must assume that nothing is safe. Our most recent trip, we found notes from the US TSA and from Princess notifying that our bags had been opened and inspected. So, assume that nothing is secure and keep all valuables in your carry-on.

As for leaving bag out night before, I was +++ impressed with Princess' organization during our departure from Royal Princess two weeks ago. We had a very early departure time (Cream 3) and were off the ship at the time promised, bags were neatly lined up in the terminal by colour/number group (YIKES - there are a LOT of black suitcases!) so quite easy to locate, we were through US customs in a jiffy, short taxi to FLL and we were checked in for our 11:30 flight shortly after 0800.
Mojave Desert
276 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by Bwana Tom
If you wanted to worry you should be more concerned about the TSA at the airport. They essentially have complete access to your bags and I have had many small items like pocket knives stolen by the TSA. I have heard there is no cameras in the baggage inspection areas which makes it easy for those folks to slip small items in their pockets and you have little or no control over it. I would be less concerned of thief on board the ships, which after many cruises have never experienced a problem.
Airport baggage area? Oh, yeah and verily!
TSA? Not necessarily -- 3D-printer files for the TSA keys are all over the internet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MV Royal Majesty • N Caribbean
MS Zenith • Bermuda
MS Rhapsody of the Seas • S Caribbean
MS Ryndam • Alaska
MS Horizon • Bermuda
MV Yorktown Clipper • San Francisco/Sacramento (!)
MS Paul Gauguin • Tahiti
MS Navigator • St Lawrence Seaway
MS Emerald Princess • Australia/New Zealand
MS Ruby Princess • California Coast
MS Eurodam • Alaska
California
5,265 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
We have never ever worried about things going missing from our luggage.
For starters, we don’t have anything but junk. I would hand carry any valuables including nice handbags with me.
In nearly 2 dozen + cruises nothing has gone missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Holiday 1992;
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 1994;
Celebrity Infinity 2001;
Star Princess 2003;
Diamond Princess 2004, 2005;
Sapphire Princess 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011;
Emerald Princess 2008;
RCCL Mariner of the Seas 2010;
Golden Princess 2003, 2007, 2011;
Celebrity Equinox 2013, 2014;
Grand Princess 2014, 2016;
Regal Princess 2015, 2016, 2017;
Mediterranean 12-night cruise 10/07/15:
RCCL Vision of the Seas;
(Barcelona, Cannes, Florence , Rome,
Salerno, Athens, Santorini, Kusadasi, Turkey, and back to Barthelona)
Next Up:
Celebrity Equinox 10/06/17 10-day ABC Islands, all-inclusive steal of a deal 🍸

Celebrity Silhouette 4/08/18 Eastern Caribbean, all-inclusive steal of a deal
Royal Princess 2019, West Coast, Mexico 🇲🇽
44 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by GrammySpo
Embarrassing to tell my story but it’s kind of funny. Went to dinner last night of cruise, came back later (champagne may have been involved) and determined I didn’t need the clothes I was wearing or the ones that were sitting out. Wore my jammies to bed and realized when I woke the next day that was all I had left to wear off the ship. Clothes were gone. Wore my jammies to LAX and changed there. Needless to say I am ultra paranoid that I have my clothes out and a backup option so I don’t experience that again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always carry our luggage off the ship with us. That way you don’t have to look for your luggage. It’s so much better. I experienced someone taking my case when we flew to Brunei on our way to the Philippines. Luckily the airport was able to track it down and they returned my suitcase
Jan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Whidbey Island, WA
969 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
So you put your bags out in the hallway the night before disembarking, they you claim your bag at the port and head to the airport. Make your way to the airline ticket counter and check your bags in and the ticket agent says their script asking if you have fuel oil or explosives and ends with "...and have you been in control of your luggage or has anyone else had access to it since you packed it?"

What's the answer?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed!
USS Midway - '72-73 - Subic Bay Philippines (x9), Hong Kong, Singapore, Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
USS Ranger - '76 - Subic Bay Philippines (x3), Singapore, Perth Australia (Shellback)

USS Independence - '80 - South Atlantic, Cape of Good Hope, Mauritius, Indian Ocean, Gulf of Oman,(123 continuous sea days), Suez Canal, Mediterranean Sea, Straits of Gibraltar

USS Independence - '81 - Straits of Gibraltar - Mediterranean Sea, Naples Italy (x2), Straits of Gibraltar

Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean 3/25/12 - Silver Anniversary Cruise
Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean 2/3/13 - Gayle's Birthday Cruise
Norewgian Pearl - Alaska 6/16/13 - 4 Generation Family Cruise
Golden Princess - West Coast Getaway 9/30/13
Star Princess - Hawaii 9/23/17

UPCOMING:
RubyPrincess - Northern California Coastal 9/20/18
11,919 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
My answer is "except for the time it was under the control of the ship's personnel." I also wait till I see the stewards actively removing luggage before I place mine outside.
San Francisco Bay Area
7,570 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by menkot
We buy the gaudiest, ugliest suitcases we can find. No one ever gets ours by mistake. If you see the burgundy suitcase with the big metallic gold elephants on it.....
Those are usually the ones you can find on the clearance rack. Love it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise Raider
San Mateo, California
5,739 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
60 plus cruises on 9 different lines, never lost a case... I must admit we have had good results flying too, only once did some take a case by mistake at the airport in Tele viv .. they returned it when they realized the mistake, another time a case was delayed in Paris and Air France tracked it down and got to Rome before we left port. We always fly as directly as possible.. to avoid problems, no code share flight for us.
Mojave Desert
276 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
If you're that worried, there's always to-your-door services -- I understand HAL coöperates with LuggageForward.

I still wouldn't put anything except "dirty socks" in anything I wasn't carrying off the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MV Royal Majesty • N Caribbean
MS Zenith • Bermuda
MS Rhapsody of the Seas • S Caribbean
MS Ryndam • Alaska
MS Horizon • Bermuda
MV Yorktown Clipper • San Francisco/Sacramento (!)
MS Paul Gauguin • Tahiti
MS Navigator • St Lawrence Seaway
MS Emerald Princess • Australia/New Zealand
MS Ruby Princess • California Coast
MS Eurodam • Alaska
Lancaster, Ca
722 Posts
Joined May 2005
Once, and ONLY once did we self carry our luggage. It was AWFUL. Lots of people also wanted to self disembark. Picture 100 to 200 people, all with their large stash of luggage being pushed around in close quarters trying to get in line. Even if you have to be out of the room at 8 am, that doesn't mean you get right off the ship. Customs still has to do their thing and in my experience, you don't start off boarding till about 9:30 or 10:00. That means waiting with luggage (large and small) and their owners in a small area waiting to walk off the ship. Like I said, it was AWFUL. We now gladly leave our luggage in the hallway and have never had a problem with it. We get up, put our nightwear in a bag, get dressed and go have a wonderful breakfast in one of the restaurants.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tina and

11-17-2012 Sapphire Princess to Mexican Rivera
09-24-2011 Sapphire Princess to San Francisco
06-06-2003 Carnival to Mexico
10-15-2005 Sapphire Princess to Mexican Rivera
09-25-2006 RCCL to Alaska
10-17-2008 Sapphire Princess to Mexican Rivera