93 members have voted

1. 1. Formal night menswear

• Tuxedo black tie
    • Grey suit and tie
    • Blue suit and tie
    • Black suit and tie
    • Non matching Chinos, jacket and tie
    • Other

:o Shortly going on our first ever cruise around the med with Crown Princess. I’m looking for advice on formal nights and what the men tend to wear? Is it still tuxedos or just a certain colour suit and tie? Any help appreciated, I’ve searched photos and can only find images from years ago, nothing found using the search.

Thanks

About 90%+ of men will wear suit & tie, sport jacket & tie, with maybe 20% (estimate) in tux. Some will also wear jacket with no tie, or just a sport shirt, no jacket. No color requirements. Also, formal wear is only requested for the DR. Specialty restaurants are basically smart casual all the time, although some dress up on formal evenings. The rest of the ship is casual all the time.

nobody likes packing more then one suitcase and formal is going the way of the dodo bird. Long pants and a collared shirt work fine on formal nights. If you want to dress up fine if not still fine. I don't care what you are wearing.

Reader poll with no agenda. Yet many will use it for their own agenda.

As of right now 40% say other while another agenda will say 60% say to wear a jacket and tie while only 20% are from individual sections. As with any polls it is up to who uses it.

thanks - so a reader can put up their own poll ? - or do they have to request CC to put it up, with a specific reader determining the choices to make?:confused:

I would have like to seen more specific "other" categories ...;p

no need for 3 color options for suit and tie...

I love the chance to "play dress up" and see my husband all decked out to the nines. If others do or don't isn't my business, but I do enjoy when the dress code is "respected"; doesn't have to be a tux, just what the dress code states as their definition. Flame away, I have my asbestos suit on, as well as a pretty thick skin.

Also, loaded up on beer and popcorn.:D:D:D:D

Med cruises are more formal than Caribbean cruises. Caribbean mostly has U.S. passengers while European cruises will also draw passengers from Europe. There were sone tuxes, but mostly suits. I wore a blue blazer and tan pants and sort of looked out of place.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

About 90%+ of men will wear suit & tie, sport jacket & tie, with maybe 20% (estimate) in tux. Some will also wear jacket with no tie, or just a sport shirt, no jacket. No color requirements. Also, formal wear is only requested for the DR. Specialty restaurants are basically smart casual all the time, although some dress up on formal evenings. The rest of the ship is casual all the time.

This is basically correct, although there is no need to bring along a tux, unless you really want to. On our last cruise in 2017, we saw maybe 5% of the MDR guests in tuxes.

In the tropics ( i.e, Latin America, Caribbean, South Pacific, Philippines, etc.) you will see more men in guayabera shirts, as that is considered formal wear in the tropics. -- EBC

Med cruises are more formal than Caribbean cruises. Caribbean mostly has U.S. passengers while European cruises will also draw passengers from Europe. There were sone tuxes, but mostly suits. I wore a blue blazer and tan pants and sort of looked out of place.

It has been our experience on cruises in Europe people dress better than they do on cruises leaving from US ports. In July 2017 we were on a Baltic cruise on the Crown traditional 8:00 pm MDR, my DH was one of the few men not wearing a tux he wore a suit. This was a cruise from South Hampton lots of British folks that looked great. We are doing a TA on the Crown 11/3/2018 for the first time in 38 cruises my DH is thinking he may not take a jacket for packing reasons. I think he will be in the minority.

It has been our experience on cruises in Europe people dress better than they do on cruises leaving from US ports. In July 2017 we were on a Baltic cruise on the Crown traditional 8:00 pm MDR, my DH was one of the few men not wearing a tux he wore a suit. This was a cruise from South Hampton lots of British folks that looked great. We are doing a TA on the Crown 11/3/2018 for the first time in 38 cruises my DH is thinking he may not take a jacket for packing reasons. I think he will be in the minority.

My husband usually wears a nicer casual shirt and slacks. He hates dressing up.

I wear a nice (sort of fancy) blouse and usually black slacks.

As we will fly from San Francisco to the British Isles we won't be taking any fancy clothes.

Hope neither of us feel uncomfortable in the dining room as we enjoy making new friends at the early dinner.

Just off the Crown in the Med. DH wore a nice shirt and tie and no jacket. Most men wore suits, but there were many without a jacket and also many without even a tie. He didn't feel uncomfortable at all.

I love the chance to "play dress up" and see my husband all decked out to the nines. If others do or don't isn't my business, but I do enjoy when the dress code is "respected"; doesn't have to be a tux, just what the dress code states as their definition. Flame away, I have my asbestos suit on, as well as a pretty thick skin.

Also, loaded up on beer and popcorn.:D:D:D:D

I agree with you. I think it's appropriate to dress for the occasion. My personal preference is a tux. It doesn't take up any more room than a suit and based on Princess' suggested dress for formal nights in order to create the right atmosphere, I believe it appropriate. If other men want to wear a suit and tie, that's their choice and they look fine. However, I believe a gentleman should always dress to the level of his partner. I've been on many formal nights where the lady is dressed in an evening dress or formal gown and the man is wearing an open collar shirt, sometimes wrinkled, and slacks. IMHO, it's not very respectful to the lady.

OTHER: My DH wears gray dress pants, a white golf (polo) shirt, and a navy sports coat.

He stopped taking his tuxedo several years ago. :)

Great for me. I hated to tie his bow tie and put those little buttons in his shirt. :D

LuLu

I agree with you. I think it's appropriate to dress for the occasion. My personal preference is a tux. It doesn't take up any more room than a suit and based on Princess' suggested dress for formal nights in order to create the right atmosphere, I believe it appropriate. If other men want to wear a suit and tie, that's their choice and they look fine. However, I believe a gentleman should always dress to the level of his partner. I've been on many formal nights where the lady is dressed in an evening dress or formal gown and the man is wearing an open collar shirt, sometimes wrinkled, and slacks. IMHO, it's not very respectful to the lady.

On behalf of the ladies, thank you so much, Dennis. Really appreciate your empathy in encouraging gentlemen to dress to same level as their partners. You're a class act. !:cool::cool::cool:

And what if the level of the partner is not that which requires a suit and tie? My DW refuses the dress in co tail dresses or evenng goens or anything with sparkles on it. She also does not wear amy jewelry of any kind. But always dresses nicely which is why I never wear a suit coat on a cruise.

:o Shortly going on our first ever cruise around the med with Crown Princess. I’m looking for advice on formal nights and what the men tend to wear? Is it still tuxedos or just a certain colour suit and tie? Any help appreciated, I’ve searched photos and can only find images from years ago, nothing found using the search.

Thanks

A shirt and pants will do.

The definition of Chinos has significantly evolved over the span of a generation.

Originally Chinos were 100% cotton work uniform style pants, a step more casual than today's Dockers.

But nowadays you find twill blended trousers that are passable with a sport coat labelled as Chinos by menswear sellers.

If the poll is referring to the latter they will be fine. Otherwise that option should be stricken.

But as others have said, if top-of-the-line formalwear is an option, why consider anything lesser in the first place?

six of us are on your cruise but we are leaving from Barcelona to FT. L. None of us are bringing jackets or ties.

We learned years ago that on formal nights in particular in the dining rooms,. it took us 3 hours to get through dinner. so we opt on formal nights for either Crown Grill or the buffet area. Of course,. on the Royal,. Regal ships we opt for the buffet as it is wonderful.

Just back from 2 weeks on the Crown Princess. My son & DH wore dress pants, shirt & tie. Didn't take the jackets due to packing & heat.

We had early seating in the dining room. Most people were 'dressed up' but very few tuxedos.

And what if the level of the partner is not that which requires a suit and tie? My DW refuses the dress in co tail dresses or evenng goens or anything with sparkles on it. She also does not wear amy jewelry of any kind. But always dresses nicely which is why I never wear a suit coat on a cruise.

Then it means you're dressing to the level of your partner, which was my point and is fine.

Then it means you're dressing to the level of your partner, which was my point and is fine.

But not for some. As, to us, we do not worry about what others think or wear only what the cruise line permits. All the rest means nothing.