Coral Princess: dining room dinner items also in the buffet?

SeaCBear

Hi everyone, next Wednesday we'll be on the Coral Princess for our second Alaskan cruise. We've been on Princess ships before (Regal, Royal and Ocean), but not the Coral.

A month ago I broke my leg (our dog bowled me over while running at the park). I'm recovering well, and have a follow up appointment with the fracture clinic doctor tomorrow. I will still be wearing an Aircast boot, and may also need to use a cane or a wheelchair sometimes.

I suspect I may be happier just eating dinner some nights in the buffet. I think I probably won't feel like getting changed for dinner each night, or even slightly dressed up on formal night, etc. And, I know we can enjoy wonderful views of Alaska from the buffet. But, I have seen some recent Coral Princess dinner menus and I would like to try many of the items listed.

So, would any of the MDR dinner items also be available in the buffet? Also, do they have a grill station in the buffet on the Coral where you can request grilled steaks, salmon, etc?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Hi everyone, next Wednesday we'll be on the Coral Princess for our second Alaskan cruise. We've been on Princess ships before (Regal, Royal and Ocean), but not the Coral.

A month ago I broke my leg (our dog bowled me over while running at the park). I'm recovering well, and have a follow up appointment with the fracture clinic doctor tomorrow. I will still be wearing an Aircast boot, and may also need to use a cane or a wheelchair sometimes.

I suspect I may be happier just eating dinner some nights in the buffet. I think I probably won't feel like getting changed for dinner each night, or even slightly dressed up on formal night, etc. And, I know we can enjoy wonderful views of Alaska from the buffet. But, I have seen some recent Coral Princess dinner menus and I would like to try many of the items listed.

So, would any of the MDR dinner items also be available in the buffet? Also, do they have a grill station in the buffet on the Coral where you can request grilled steaks, salmon, etc?

We usually ate dinner in the MDR but were in buffet one night. I didn’t see any kind of grill station but for breakfast they had made to order eggs and omelets and they were just ordered at a corner of the buffet. They had a few of the MDR menu items but not the more intricate things. Food was good and there were lots of choices but it doesn’t compare to MDR.

They have quite a few dining room menu items in the buffet but not all can be offered.

What the buffet does have are theme nights. Love Bavarian night with a variety of sausages, wursts, etc. with different mustards to choose from, sauerkraut, etc. They always have a roast or two, mashed potatoes, etc.

While I prefer to eat in the dining room, I’ve eaten all my meals in the buffet on several cruises. I often eat dinner in the buffet a few times on most of my cruises. You’ll find it very busy!

...And, I know we can enjoy wonderful views of Alaska from the buffet. But, I have seen some recent Coral Princess dinner menus and I would like to try many of the items listed.

No grill stations on Princess but there will be a carving station each night and that might be something also on the MDR menu. I have seen Beef Wellington for instance. There often are some of the entrees but they might be prepared slightly differently. There may also be a soup from the MDR menu but typically no appetizers and few if any of the desserts. On an Alaskan cruise a few years ago the shipped received fresh halibut when in port at Ketchikan and it was served that night only in the buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would not worry about dressing up for MDR and personally I feel it is a lot easier to eat in MDR than it is in the buffet! We were on the Coral in May and I saw people dressed in all different attire (casual to dressy). To me an Alaskan cruise seemed that people did not dress up as much as other cruises we have been on in the past. I think it is because of people having to pack jackets, coats, and rainwear rather than formal clothing. I found the buffet a little tight to maneuver and while the staff was extremely helpful, it was just not to same as being in MDR and being served. The food was really good in MDR and on formal night we saw some people dressed way up, but most just had on casual clothing and no one seemed to care.

Not sure about the Coral, but the Island did have a grill station in the buffet for dinner. Salmon, chicken and a steak were available. You placed your order and then it would be delivered to your table. You would be responsible for getting all your own sides though.

Not sure about the Coral, but the Island did have a grill station in the buffet for dinner. Salmon, chicken and a steak were available. You placed your order and then it would be delivered to your table. You would be responsible for getting all your own sides though.
Interesting. I haven’t seen this.

Thank you SO much everyone. All of your responses are very helpful. I now think we may go to the dining room more than I had expected.

Allow me to encourage you to try the MDR. Once seated, you are served! I would imagine the Buffet would be harder to manage.

We were just on the Coral SB Alaska in July, and I felt comfortable in my choice of attire which only included a dress on formal night. I didn't wear jeans, but capri's , black pants, a very casual skirt - I think you will be fine! It is just so nice to sit and be served!

We were on the Coral in January and actually ate from the buffet

most nights. The Coral let us down on food quality in the MDR

and in the buffet but buffet had some good things on themed nights.

As to scenery viewing from the buffet area, do not count on it. This

is not like the Horizon Court on some of the other ships. The windows

were not kept very clean and it was difficult to see out.

Enjoy Alaska! It is fabulous!

While I love the Coral, both times we have had less than satisfactory experiences for basically the whole cruise with the anytime dining room for dinner. Always a line, usually long, regardless of when you arrive. And then when you are finally seated the dining room is often nowhere near full, so you wonder why the wait. The buffet on the Coral is nice and spacious with big windows and plenty of seating. I also love the theme nights at the buffet.

I had a leg injury on the way to a Regal cruise last fall. Luckily my husband was able to locate a scooter for me so we did make the cruise. One thing I had not anticipated is that from the scooter I was not able to see the food on the buffet as I was too low so it was difficult to make selections. The dining room was easier as I could park the scooter near the door and make it to a nearby table. It all worked out and wish you well.

It's been several years since we were on the Coral, but if they have something similar to Mongolian Barbeque (not sure of the name that is used), try it. It is the best I have ever had.
Yes, when we were on the Coral in early June we had last night dinner in HC and I had a great Mongolian Grill! I loved the location and layout of the buffet on Coral. We ate most breakfasts and a few lunches there, never had a problem finding seats.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app