Buying Vanilla - Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta

lasekeye

In less than 2 weeks we will be cruising to Mexico. I have promised to bring home some Mexican Vanilla. I’m hoping someone can suggest where to buy vanilla that won’t be “fake for the tourists “, but not too far from the cruise port.

In less than 2 weeks we will be cruising to Mexico. I have promised to bring home some Mexican Vanilla. I’m hoping someone can suggest where to buy vanilla that won’t be “fake for the tourists “, but not too far from the cruise port.

The Walmart across the street from the port in PV is the closest. 75 pesos for a large bottle.

You can pay in dollars but your change will be in Pesos.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

Thanks for the info, it sounds pretty easy. Have you purchased and tried the large bottles for that great price?

I’m worried that it will be the imitation or poor quality type, it sounds too good to be true?

Buying it at Walmart doesn't necessarily mean it is high quality, pure or even safe. Have to be careful when buying Vanilla in Mexico to ensure you're getting the 'real thing', and more importantly, that it is safe.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/story?id=6157423&page=1

I normally don’t shop at Walmart due to the owner’s politics, but I’d trust the quality over the goods sold on the street.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

We got to Mexico quite often and come home with vanilla each time. We typically purchase the vanilla at one of the street vendors right as you get off of the ship in Puerto Vallarta. If I can figure out how to post a photo, I can take a picture of the vanilla we bought.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Walmart also sells vanilla beans. Vanilla Beans soaked in vodka make vanilla.

THIS!! It is STUPID easy to make and tastes so good! Vanilla beans in a big mason jar, fill up with cheap hootch (vanilla or rum) let it sit for a bit and you have the best vanilla ever.