Travel insurance...

Calli50

Who does everybody recommend for travel insurance?

For health insurance? Check with your current provider and then your credit card company to figure out what you already have.

For medical evac/transport, if you travel regularly, look into a plan through MedJetAssist to cover a period of time instead of a particular trip.

For travel insurance to cover the cost of a trip should you cancel or cut it short? I don't recommend anyone, nor do I get it at all. Personally, I self insure, as it is a loss that by definition you can afford if you are taking the trip. Cancellation coverage is universally considered a bad investment.

For health insurance? Check with your current provider and then your credit card company to figure out what you already have.

For medical evac/transport, if you travel regularly, look into a plan through MedJetAssist to cover a period of time instead of a particular trip.

For travel insurance to cover the cost of a trip should you cancel or cut it short? I don't recommend anyone, nor do I get it at all. Personally, I self insure, as it is a loss that by definition you can afford if you are taking the trip. Cancellation coverage is universally considered a bad investment.

I see this reason not to get insurance a lot and if that's what you want to do it's what you are going to do, but if I cut my trip short travel insurance will pay to get me home (a cost that I don't want to self-insure). Additionally if I do end up having to cancel it sure would be nice to recoup some of my initial outlay either for expenses related to why I had to cancel or to plan another trip with. Buying a comprehensive plan isn't that much more than buying a dedicated one (and in some cases can be less). Every travel magazine that I've read has recommended travel insurance and I don't recall ever seeing anyone say that they don't recommend it, so I'm not sure your last sentence is valid.

Hello. Living in Chicago and having to deal with weather-related travel issues that can last for days has taught us to get travel insurance for most of our vacations. In addition, we both have elderly parents and never know if we’ll need to cut a trip short to get home ASAP. For our upcoming cruise in September we are sailing during the end of hurricane season and that’s reason enough for us to purchase insurance. We’ve used Allianz for years and find them to be very good and affordable. We had to cancel a trip to Hong Kong due to a family death and our insurance helped us recoup most of our expenses including all used frequent flyer miles. We like having the additional peace of mind for events beyond our control.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There's so much more to Trip Insurance than cancellation pre-cruise for a covered reason, a trip to medical onboard the ship and medical care off the ship with or without evacuation. Pre-existing conditions for you, your traveling companion(s) and even relatives at home is a big consideration when considering travel insurance.

As others have said......check the policy you're considering and make sure it fits your circumstances. Trip Insurance Store has a great website and Steve, the owner, is happy to help you find insurance that covers your needs.

https://tripinsurancestore.com/how-travel-insurance-pre-existing-medical-conditions-coverage-works/

Oh my, all this insurance info is making my brain roll to one side.:rolleyes: While trying to explore all my options, I checked with coverage through the cruise line. They have a decent price, but coverage amounts are much lower than other companies, plus they give "future cruise credit" vs. actually reimbursing me. No, thank you. Coverage offered by TA is good but is "secondary". Like others here I do have coverage through DH's employer but it has a $250 deductible then pays 80%. Great unless it is a large claim. Twenty percent of a large claim is till a good chunk of change. Called the tripinsurancestore and was told there is a company that offers basically the exact same coverage as TA policy and that you can upgrade the coverage from "secondary" to "primary" for $25. The total cost was a bit less that coverage from TA. I reckon I'm just concerned that I'll make the wrong choice. FOMO...fear of missing out.:eek:

Every travel magazine that I've read has recommended travel insurance and I don't recall ever seeing anyone say that they don't recommend it, so I'm not sure your last sentence is valid.

Of COURSE every TRAVEL Magazine recommends travel insurance. Most travel magazines are SPONSORED in some part by the companies that sell said insurance! Talk to a financial planner and get their take. And just to be clear, I am talking about cancellation or recuperation of money ALREADY spent. Yes, having to cancel a cruise and missing out sucks. And having to fly home early is also a let down that has an associated expense. But these are VASTLY different than the crippling expenses associated with health care costs and medical transport. The latter are huge financial risks that should be appropriately mitigated. The former are much more minor financial calculations. Having coverage for these might give you some sort of peace of mind, but spending money on such coverage is rarely considered a sound investment.

You have a much more secure and higher rate of return with other investments over time. So, if you want actual advice about FINANCIAL matters, talk to a financial expert, not a travel magazine.

I've never heard insurance called a sound investment. Maybe whole or term life or some variant. Most other insurance is a manner of risk transfer/management. Risk transfer comes down to one's appetitie to keep the risk vs. transferring it to an insurance company. Overall, all insurance is a losing proposition for the insured or insurance companies won't sell it. So, by definition, you will get a better return on just about any investment over time...unless you have a claim. Then insurance probably has a great return, depending on the amount to be recovered.

And if you want actual advice about financial matters, dont listen to someone on a message board. Listen to someone who has your financial well being in mind, and provides advice that is specific to your situation and needs.

Every person's risk appetite and need for insurance is different. One size does not fit all.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

Who does everybody recommend for travel insurance? I have used the trip insurance store in the past. One in our group going in February has some health issues and wants a good policy. Anybody that has actually had to use it? Positive experience with it?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

I've done quite a bit of research on this. First and foremost, check the credit card you used to pay for the trip. All of the higher end cards (Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire, etc.) now cover up to $10k per passenger ($20K per couple) for trip cancellation for the typical medical reasons. There is no pre-existing conditions exclusion that I could see. While these cards are not cheap ($400 to $450) they include large initial bonuses, travel credit, global entry and other benefits as well, so they are a better bargain than traditional travel insurance as long as your trip costs less than $10K per person. I have made a claim under one of these cards. You deal with a traditional insurance company, and they are as good or better with claims than many of the insurers, and way better than TravelGuard (AIG is notoriously bad with claims).

If your trip costs more than that, I would first look to see whether you plan more than one trip per year. if so, consider an annual policy covering all of your trips. These policies call little more than a single trip policy. All of the online brokers mentioned here sell them, but they will not sell them unless you ask, as brokers make more money on multiple policies.

The annual policies will not provide cancellation for any reason coverage, and if you want this coverage, you need to buy a single trip policy and the cost will be double coverage without this feature.

• 2 weeks later...

dsweet -

We have the Chase Sapphire Reserve VISA, and it does NOT cover trip cancellation/interruption due to pre-existing conditions. That may be an important consideration for anyone trying to decide whether to rely on their coverage through Chase or purchase supplemental coverage.

dsweet -

We have the Chase Sapphire Reserve VISA, and it does NOT cover trip cancellation/interruption due to pre-existing conditions. That may be an important consideration for anyone trying to decide whether to rely on their coverage through Chase or purchase supplemental coverage.

Be sure to look at the definition of pre-existing condition, if you have condition controlled and stable for 60 days before trip purchase it is covered. At least that is what my Sapphire policy reads. Lots of details to consider thanks for the reminder.