It's Complicated - Travel Insurance Land and Cruise Vacation

maryred

Basically we are flying to our vacation then using a combination of Carnival cruise, hotel and timeshare for lodging. Along with that we will also be advance purchasing attraction tickets through a travel club at a discount.

Here's my dilemma, the cruise in portion has been paid with both discounted gift cards and a credit card. A 1 night pre-cruise hotel might get paid in part or wholly through credit points, as of right now we have not yet made the reservation. Of course we have paid throughout the year by auto-payment from our checking for the timeshare mortgage, but paid by credit card for the location transfer and upgrade accommodations over our base unit. Airfare plus priority boarding has been paid using a different credit card from the other vacation payments, to use the cards airfare miles to chargeback points to in part pay the cc bill. Finally the as of yet purchased discounted amusement park tickets might be purchased by cash at the travel club.

So how do I reconcile all of these to figure out what rate to buy travel insurance through insuremytrip?

I really don't want to over insure the value of the vacation to keep the premium down, but don't want to under insure it either.

You add up all your non refundable costs that you have paid so far (so don’t include taxes/port fees/gratuities or Fun Shop purchases as these are cancelable and refundable). If you add more such as theme park tickets, etc you call them back and they will let you know if any additional premium is due. Call the Insure My Trip people and they can walk you through it.

Just be sure to check your policy for HOW or IF they will refund expenses paid for with points. I have seen plenty that don't refund anything that was paid with points/miles/awards, even if they are non-refundable. Ask the insure my trip rep if you have questions.

Just be sure to check your policy for HOW or IF they will refund expenses paid for with points. I have seen plenty that don't refund anything that was paid with points/miles/awards, even if they are non-refundable. Ask the insure my trip rep if you have questions.

I frequently use points for my vacation and as far as the airlines go, find out how much it costs to redeposit the miles should you need to cancel. It’s typically about $200 (can vary of course). So then you add in the $200 to your cost. I just did this for my upcoming trips.

Hotels are usually more forgiving and I don’t budget for those as typically they are under refundable rates.

Basically we are flying to our vacation then using a combination of Carnival cruise, hotel and timeshare for lodging. Along with that we will also be advance purchasing attraction tickets through a travel club at a discount.

Here's my dilemma, the cruise in portion has been paid with both discounted gift cards and a credit card. A 1 night pre-cruise hotel might get paid in part or wholly through credit points, as of right now we have not yet made the reservation. Of course we have paid throughout the year by auto-payment from our checking for the timeshare mortgage, but paid by credit card for the location transfer and upgrade accommodations over our base unit. Airfare plus priority boarding has been paid using a different credit card from the other vacation payments, to use the cards airfare miles to chargeback points to in part pay the cc bill. Finally the as of yet purchased discounted amusement park tickets might be purchased by cash at the travel club.

So how do I reconcile all of these to figure out what rate to buy travel insurance through insuremytrip?

I really don't want to over insure the value of the vacation to keep the premium down, but don't want to under insure it either.

With all that you have going on an annual policy might be a better deal. I'd look at your travel club and see if they offer an annual policy before you go shopping.