travel Insurance for Canadians

blondietoo

We get ours through BCAA. As members we get a discount. I have friends who had to make a claim through theirs (BCAA travel insurance) and they said it was easy to use and no issues.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

One thing you really want to be careful while buying travel medical insurance is whether the insurance company issuing the travel medical policy is the first payee. Many insurance policies really offer the policies as the second payee. In other words, if you have any medical insurance say from your employer, the travel company while paying you off on your claim will actually make a subsequent claim against your employer's travel policy. If that policy has a lifetime maximum, and you have a large claim, it may impact what is left within your lifetime maximum. This was many years ago, but our employer made this very clear as something to beware of when buying a medical travel insurance policy. So it would be wise to check on this particular aspect with your insurance broker. Another option is to buy your travel medical from the same insurer who is your employer's medical insurance provider. My understanding is that in such cases, they pay off the claim without impacting on the lifetime maximum from your employer's medical benefits policy.

One thing you really want to be careful while buying travel medical insurance is whether the insurance company issuing the travel medical policy is the first payee. Many insurance policies really offer the policies as the second payee. In other words, if you have any medical insurance say from your employer, the travel company while paying you off on your claim will actually make a subsequent claim against your employer's travel policy. If that policy has a lifetime maximum, and you have a large claim, it may impact what is left within your lifetime maximum. This was many years ago, but our employer made this very clear as something to beware of when buying a medical travel insurance policy. So it would be wise to check on this particular aspect with your insurance broker. Another option is to buy your travel medical from the same insurer who is your employer's medical insurance provider. My understanding is that in such cases, they pay off the claim without impacting on the lifetime maximum from your employer's medical benefits policy.

The province can also be considered the first payee. Although limited in amounts, the provincial medical coverage (such as OHIP) will cover some expenses (with strict limits on what and how much) for out of country medical expenses.

• 11 months later...

What travel insurance can we buy in Ontario, Canada that gives coverage if you cannot make it to your cruise due to weather related conditions? ie:hurricane; ice or snow storm cancelling or delaying flights?

I have used CAA, RBC, President's Choice, Travelguard.

I have used the above except President's choice. There is a company called "Medi-Quote" in Winnipeg and Calgary that I have used for the past several years. They look at different insurance companies, your medical history and what you require, i.e. I always make sure that I have enough insurance in case I need a medi-vac from the ship.

Three years ago Travelguard doubled my premiums and no change in medical history or age bracket. So we switched to another company with same benefits.

FYI - I was caught up, unfortunately, in the Fort Lauderdale airport shooting a few years ago. My West Jet flight was re-routed back to Montreal and then Toronto. I was staying at the Embassy Suites and had no trouble getting reimbursed for one night through the interruption part of the policy. Then to make matters worse -- I ended up with bronchitis on a 21 day B2B -- again no problem getting reimbursed.

If you google 'Medi-Quote Insurance Brokers' - you can see if they offer their services in your province.

We tried most of the aforementioned insurance providers to get coverage for our sister in law who will turn 80 just before our next cruise. We found that if you are past 75 and have, even a minor, pre existing condition you are out of luck unless you take a very high deductible on top of a ridiculous premium. At 80 they won’t evenlook at your application.

If there is some insurance provider out there that has a reasonable package I would really appreciate the info.

For now we will stick with the Princess insurance option.

Theo

We tried most of the aforementioned insurance providers to get coverage for our sister in law who will turn 80 just before our next cruise. We found that if you are past 75 and have, even a minor, pre existing condition you are out of luck unless you take a very high deductible on top of a ridiculous premium. At 80 they won’t evenlook at your application.

If there is some insurance provider out there that has a reasonable package I would really appreciate the info.

Theo

Check the trip insurance store. They do business in Canada as well as the U.S. Their website is tripinsurancestore.com

Their website has a toll free number for Canada.

bcaa does have coverage for unstable pre-existing conditions. i had a medication change recently so wanted to get this coverage. it was only about $1 a day. i'm getting this on top of princess' insurance because of princess' low medical amounts.

Thanks for the suggestions. Cdngrl, is the bcaa insurance as a top-up to the Princess coverage?

Theo

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Forums mobile app

i am buying the regular medical in addition to princess' insurance.

last year i got tonsillitis on a cruise. for that, princess insurance was fine (and paid out quickly and easily). so for a minor ailment or illness, i'd use princess.

heaven forbid something more serious happens that requires hospitalization in the US for instance-- princess' platinum coverage with its $20,000 maximum isn't going to last long. i'd use the bcaa insurance for something like that.

their 'unstable pre-existing' coverage only has a 7 day look back period.

i researched other insurers: rbc was consistently more expensive. travelguard and a few others had too long of a look back or needed to be purchased right away.

i needed pre-existing coverage (because (and how stupid is this?) my doctor took me off of a medication) and most of the others require you to purchase shortly after depositing on the trip. i put my deposit down weeks ago so that was not an option for me.

its sure hard to wade through the boring policies filled with legalese. i really hope i don't need to use the insurance!

Theo

We too use BCAA My dad is 86, heart, liver and kidney disease aka pre-existing, we buy yearly policy as we like to cross the border often. Its expensive but its available!!!!

• Our Visa card (TD Infinite) covers out of country medical insurance for 21 days if you book your vacation/travel using the card. This applies to all people booked up tp 65 years of age. The card covers above 65 years coverage for 4 days. You can top up additional days as required if needed.

• Our Visa card (TD Infinite) covers out of country medical insurance for 21 days if you book your vacation/travel using the card. This applies to all people booked up tp 65 years of age. The card covers above 65 years coverage for 4 days. You can top up additional days as required if needed.

I was told coverage over 65 for only 3 days.

We have worldwide insurance through work. We also have insurance through our credit card.

While we were in Florida a few years back our son got ill. We called our work insurance and they had everything done by the time we got to the hospital. Our son had to go the the ER twice in 2 days for them to do test and get him on the road to recovery. At this point we saw no bills but when we got home the paperwork was already there for us. We called the insurance company with a few questions and they told us at that point they had already received some of the bills. The bills were at $10,000 and they were waiting for some more to come in. They also told us if you have more than one insurance company and your provincial medicare that they will coordinate with them. There was no need for us to call anyone else.

Just a heads up. A few years ago while on a cruise I had and accident (broke my collar bone) in Nassau and had to be taken to the hospital. We told them that we had insurance. The Hospital informed us that they do not accept insurance. You have to pay up front with a cc or cash. This was the same for the ambulance ($300). So if you go on a cruise it is a good idea to have a high limit cc. We had to send in the bills when we arrived home and the insurance sent us a check.

When I travel, unless going to some place like China, I buy only trip cancellation and trip interruption. My Sunlife Extended Health Care covers travel insurance. My travel agent compared the coverage to other travel insurance policies and it was comparable.

I was told coverage over 65 for only 3 days.

Keeping in mind that there are numerous TD Visa Infinite Cards, the current Cardholder Agreement for our card, the Aeroplan Infinite Visa, clearly says 4 days for over 65, 21 days if under 65. Where did you hear that it was only three days, I'd like to check that out as it will apply to me in a few years. Thanks.

Keeping in mind that there are numerous TD Visa Infinite Cards, the current Cardholder Agreement for our card, the Aeroplan Infinite Visa, clearly says 4 days for over 65, 21 days if under 65. Where did you hear that it was only three days, I'd like to check that out as it will apply to me in a few years. Thanks.

My card is the TD Visa Infinite Avion Card.

May

Check the trip insurance store. They do business in Canada as well as the U.S. Their website is tripinsurancestore.com

Their website has a toll free number for Canada.

Just learned something!

We've purchased quite a few policies from TIS (using Travel Insured, with several claims paid promptly, no complaints).

But I did not realize they sold any coverage for non-USA residents.

Sure enough, Trip Insurance Store does have coverage for Canadians:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/canadian-travelsafe-classic-plan-detailed-description-page/

There have been lots of questions about Canadian trip insurance, so this should be helpful for quite a few here!

(Too bad they don't seem to have policies for residents of other countries...)

However, I did notice the same "no coverage for those 80 or older".

GC