Trying to figure out how much to insure

TX_Wyldcat

This is my first cruise and I am trying to figure out how much insurance I need to get. It is a seven day Caribbean out of San Juan for my brother and I in our 40s. No Preexisting conditions or medical issues. We will be flying from Dallas to San Juan connecting in Miami using Frequent Flyer miles so no real expense there (<$25). Cruise Cost was appx $900 + $100 in fees.

I am not worried really about canceling before the cruise. My main concern is missed connection either getting there, possible over long excursion, or more worrisome is potential hurricane delaying return to San Juan by more than a day since it is a September sailing. Also possible medical evac in case of an accident since that happened to my father last year on his trip to Spain.

Do I just look for a policy with decent trip interruption and medical evac coverage and use $1000 as the trip cost or is there other things I need to consider. I am looking at third party insurance because of the air/cruise connections.

Before you pull the trigger on purchasing a policy, have you checked to see if the credit card you used to purchase your trip has included travel insurance coverage? Just a thought.

Otherwise, representatives at any of the often-mentioned broker sites (insuremytrip.com, squaremouth.com, tripinsurancestore.com) can help you with your selection. We are usually less concerned about medical evac when traveling closer to home, such as the Caribbean. However, everyone is different, so you should definitely obtain the amount of coverage that will make you feel at ease.

Good luck and enjoy your first cruse!