High Priced Flights

LuckyStar

Wow, I cannot believe how high the flights I am finding are to San Juan. I'm flying from Denver, which is a high cost market anyway but this is insane. Its Thanksgiving week, so that may be the reason, but the cruise prices are fantastic. I'm looking at $1400 per person flights. I can fly to Europe for that.

Anyone else finding PR cost prohibitive because of flight costs?

Jenny

I got roundtrip AA business/first class for the two of us for this September back in October 2017 for a total of $1698.00 from LAX.

Our B2B cruise price point is amazing and made it worthwhile...after 2 price drops and saving a total of $1400.00...We're happy with what we're spending to get there and back.

From what I’ve been reading departures from the East Coast are reasonable. It’s when you need to fly from the West or Mid-West it gets very expensive.

I wonder if it’s worth looking into doing two separate bookings. Get into EWR or JFK, PHL, BWI and then another flight to Puerto Rico.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for letting me vent. We have decided to skip the holiday prices and go in January. Looking at prices of around $500 pp. Much, much better.

I don’t blame you. We have a cruise scheduled for December 8-15 and I was starting to panic about prices from San Francisco. I found flights last night for less than $400.00 each and quickly booked them.

Do you try celebrity website or try calling their flight department?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for letting me vent. We have decided to skip the holiday prices and go in January. Looking at prices of around $500 pp. Much, much better.

I just did the same! Rescheduling our Christmas cruise out of Miami. Flights are very expensive to fly around the holiday. I guess the extra bonus is cruises not over holidays are less expensive as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Airfare is expensive, I'll say that. We're flying in August out of JFK, which is a major hub, and I haven't found anything less than $400 per person. It's our first time flying to SJU and I'm not sure if we should play the waiting game or book before it gets higher.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

We already booked our Thanksgiving cruise 2018 out of San Juan but still waiting for Southwest to release dates/ prices. Fingers crossed because I am really worried about the flight home especially being super $$. I figure if it is really high we will spend another night in San Juan and fly home Monday morning.

We already booked our Thanksgiving cruise 2018 out of San Juan but still waiting for Southwest to release dates/ prices. Fingers crossed because I am really worried about the flight home especially being super $$. I figure if it is really high we will spend another night in San Juan and fly home Monday morning.

I stalked the Southwest app for months. I saw it at $721 for 2 round trip, but we couldn't get the tickets that week due to paying off the cruise. That was at 165 days out. Then at 145 days out it was $630. Sooo glad I had to wait.

Flights from Denver have been around $197-$277 each way on the day the itineraries are released. The prices will start to go up from there, the longer you wait. I’ve tracked southwest prices from Denver for the last couple years (because I kept moving my cruise date, and I kept track of the prices the whole time).

The last round of prices was a little higher than it has been in the past. If you get a price of around $500 round trip per person that’s about right for SW. If you wait too long though, you can easily see prices rise to around $1,000 round trip per person.

Book as soon as you need the flight and have the money, because you can get a credit back for any price drops. I used points for one leg of my flight and got 5,000 points back due to a drop. That’s one of the reasons I love southwest.

A group of us just booked for the NYE cruise in 2019. One family of 4 is coming from Denver and she looked to see what flights might be using current Southwest fares. She was floored at the price and length of time to get there. Since we all planned on arriving in San Juan on the Friday before our Sunday departure, I told her she should think about flying into Chicago (where the rest of us are) on Thursday night, stay with us, then all of us leave on Friday morning together. From Chicago are plenty of non-stop flights, so she won't have to worry as much about making connections. Luckily, she just opened a Southwest credit card, so now she can start working on getting those points, which will offset her costs.

There’s a “sale” on flights to Puerto Rico for the months of September 5th through October 31st if you buy them before May 3rd. I haven’t checked to see what the actual prices are but I got the email yesterday about it.

The September prices for DEN to SJU are low (around $197) for both Thursday’s and Friday’s (those are the only days I checked), but there are only 2 flights a day for some reason.

The October prices for DEN to SJU are not as low, but there’s a flight or two each day with a price under $250, and there’s the usual 6 or more flights a day to choose from.

Flights from SJU back to DEN for both months on Saturdays are the usual prices, $300-ish-$600-ish per ticket with an occasional $248 thrown in.

The prices aren’t that bad if you are flexible, but I sure wouldn’t want to be a family of 4 or 5 having to purchase flights.

I got tickets on SW from Denver for this summer for 2 of us. I used a combination of miles and other benefits, and it cost me a total of $164.80 for all 4 tickets. The normal price though was $248/person each way for travel in June.

Edited by ARandomTraveler

• 1 month later...

I just payed $570 RT pp from MCI Kansas City, outbound Nov. 30 return Dec. 8 on AA. It could have been lower, $490, if I took a return flight that left later and got me home at midnight. My cruise is on Windstar and I was going to take a cruise from St. Maarten but he airfare to SXM was over $900. I changed my cruise to leave from San Juan and saved a bundle overall.

Get the app ( IOS and Android) Hopper. It tracks flight costs, demand, etc. Using past history, it will show you the historical costs (Low, Med. High) by color codes and let you know if the price is likely to go up, down or remain the same.

Set up the app with your info, enter your fly dates and then it will track pricing.

Ramona

That’s ridiculously high! I’m not flying during a holiday, heading down in 17 days actually, but the flight down is $122 and the flight home is $129. Both are direct flights into BWI on Southwest.

I see you haven't posted since last month but just wanted to say Thank you for posting this info.

I never considered flying from BWI until I saw your post. Southwest just opened bookings today for December when we are going and got flights for $122 each way about 1/2 of what it would cost on AA out of Philly.

Bill