Gym equipment on royal caribbean!!

Hello,

Quick question.. I'm sailing in early december and I've only ever worked out (in weight training) with pump bars and plates.

Do they have pump bars on royal caribbean? voyager of the seas to be precise.

Thank you!!

also if not, HOW do you do wide squats with dumbbells?? do they go outside the thighs or in the centre?

thanks!

I'm getting seriously worried about you. You seem like a young girl who is very unhealthily obsessed with her weight, exercise and diet. This is something like the 4th or 5th weight and exercise related thread I've seen you start.

Are you consulting with a personal trainer and a nutritionist? They're probably the best people to be talking to about exercise regimes and ideal BMI. I may be adding a psych to the list if I were you. Not saying there's something wrong, but you do seem to be quite obsessed and it would probably help to talk to someone...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is not the right place to get advice in how to perform various exercises. You need to speak to a certified trainer. And for God's sake, stop until you know what you are doing. You are a serious sports injury waiting to happen.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Hello,

Quick question.. I'm sailing in early december and I've only ever worked out (in weight training) with pump bars and plates.

Do they have pump bars on royal caribbean? voyager of the seas to be precise.

Thank you!!

also if not, HOW do you do wide squats with dumbbells?? do they go outside the thighs or in the centre?

thanks!

I don't think I've ever noticed a full bar on the ship. May have been, but I may have missed it. Of course, you already know there's a wide variety of dumbells available.

Since you already know what that is, apparently being part of your routine, I would suggest asking your trainers a modified technique. Or ask them if other machines can be used as a substitution during your vacation. No reason to stop a program that you are in the middle of- just got to adjust for the conditions/tools that are present.

Hope you find a good alternative. Keeping on a plan is important when you have goals + you are offered so much food.....

I don't think I've ever noticed a full bar on the ship. May have been, but I may have missed it. Of course, you already know there's a wide variety of dumbells available.

Since you already know what that is, apparently being part of your routine, I would suggest asking your trainers a modified technique. Or ask them if other machines can be used as a substitution during your vacation. No reason to stop a program that you are in the middle of- just got to adjust for the conditions/tools that are present.

Hope you find a good alternative. Keeping on a plan is important when you have goals + you are offered so much food.....

Unfortunately it doesn't appear she is working with a trainer--no trainer would EVER advocate doing 800 reps of something like she has claimed to do. I do hope she does speak to a trainer, because given the information she has posted in several forums so far, she has body image and self-esteem issues and is on the path to a serious sports injury.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear she is working with a trainer--no trainer would EVER advocate doing 800 reps of something like she has claimed to do. I do hope she does speak to a trainer, because given the information she has posted in several forums so far, she has body image and self-esteem issues and is on the path to a serious sports injury.

Good for you to worry so much about other people.

I'll assume that a question is asked, and an answer is wanted without judgement.

Good for you to worry so much about other people.

I'll assume that a question is asked, and an answer is wanted without judgement.

I'm not judging, simply trying to prevent her from injuring herself. GO read her other posts and you'll understand.

I'm not judging, simply trying to prevent her from injuring herself. GO read her other posts and you'll understand.

Well, you have certainly not answered the question. And by "preventing her from injuring herself" you, indeed, are judging that she is going to do something to hurt herself.

You seem to assume that the OP is going to actually do 800 reps of something, when it could be an actual book program.

Anyway, obviously no need to stay on this thread. You all have it taken care of... :rolleyes:

Well, you have certainly not answered the question. And by "preventing her from injuring herself" you, indeed, are judging that she is going to do something to hurt herself.

You seem to assume that the OP is going to actually do 800 reps of something, when it could be an actual book program.

Anyway, obviously no need to stay on this thread. You all have it taken care of... :rolleyes:

I'm not assuming anything. She has posted in another post that she did 800 reps and wondered why others in the gym were staring at her.

I'm not assuming anything. She has posted in another post that she did 800 reps and wondered why others in the gym were staring at her.

Uh, and teenagers never exaggerate do they?

Be real- this is a teenager who thinks everyone is staring at her, just like virtually every teenager out there. she's not actually doing 800 reps.

We have a person who WANTS to work out, and keep fit, as opposed to the kids who sit and eat. How about supporting her?

What I would tell the OP, as a fat middle aged guy, who also works out. Don't freaking care what other people do when you are trying to get fit. Pay attention to your body's messages- if it hurts stop.

Men, as a population, are interested in ALL body shapes. Fit, stoft, round, sharp, whatever- each person has their own taste. The most important thing for you is to BE YOU. I know I wasted plenty of time trying to catch the attention of women. I was lucky enough to find the one who love me as me.

If you want to work out, awesome. Go for it. Be careful, and understand that working out tomorrow or the next day is more important than 5 more reps today. Pain = no gain.

Again, the ship will have different stuff than you may be used to. Do your best to understand what you want to do, and adjust fittingly.

Uh, and teenagers never exaggerate do they?

Be real- this is a teenager who thinks everyone is staring at her, just like virtually every teenager out there. she's not actually doing 800 reps.

We have a person who WANTS to work out, and keep fit, as opposed to the kids who sit and eat. How about supporting her?

What I would tell the OP, as a fat middle aged guy, who also works out. Don't freaking care what other people do when you are trying to get fit. Pay attention to your body's messages- if it hurts stop.

Men, as a population, are interested in ALL body shapes. Fit, stoft, round, sharp, whatever- each person has their own taste. The most important thing for you is to BE YOU. I know I wasted plenty of time trying to catch the attention of women. I was lucky enough to find the one who love me as me.

If you want to work out, awesome. Go for it. Be careful, and understand that working out tomorrow or the next day is more important than 5 more reps today. Pain = no gain.

Again, the ship will have different stuff than you may be used to. Do your best to understand what you want to do, and adjust fittingly.

What I would tell her as a slender and very fit middle-aged woman is that she needs to stop worrying about her BMI and weight and worry more about healthy eating habits and safe exercise. I stopped weighing myself, because in reality weight means nothing. I do check my body fat percentage, because that's a metric that matters for good health.

I work out--typically 14 hours a week. Even if she is exaggerating by 1000%, that's still too many reps. It will lead to muscle fatigue and the inability to hold form, not to mention muscle memory will kick in and it will become ineffective. This is why I suggested she work with a certified trainer to develop an exercise routine that is both safe and effective.

The best exercise can be done without machines or weights, and anywhere. Old school--planks, push ups, sit ups, crunches, etc. Unless you want to build bulk, the weight of your own body will be more than enough to build lean muscle and lose fat. I run, strength train, and practice yoga, and to be honest, yoga is the best overall exercise of the three.

Added to that I eat healthy with a balanced diet of lean proteins, whole grains, and fruits and vegetables.

• 2 weeks later...

There are several ways to do a squat with dumbbells depending on how much weight you use and personal preference. You can hold two dumbbells to the side horizontal to the ground, single dumbbell vertical to the ground between your legs just holding on to one end of the weight, two dumbbells against your chest like you would at the upper range of a biceps curl or even one dumbbell against the chest.

If I can add my opinion, 800 reps isn't that large amount of reps in a session. If you did 10 different exercises with 4 sets and 20 reps each set that would be your 800 reps. Personally I wouldn't do that many reps but each to their own.

I agree with ducklite in that BMI isn't a good indicator at all, I'm overweight based on the BMI index and while not super lean I am pretty certain I'm not overweight.

• 1 year later...

Dumbells are my favorites for squats now. I started liking them last year and can not stop working out with them. My balance has got much better because it is so much harder to keep your body stiff while you do dumbell squats.