Teaching Zumba on a Cruise...

I know of at least one poster that is a Zumba instructor that was able to teach a couple classes on one of their cruises. I just finished my instructor training April 7!! :D

Could we start a discussion on how to teach a class on a ship? Who do you talk to? Can you get it set up beforehand? Do you need any other licensing besides Zumba (like CPR/AED)? Was there a sound system to use? Did you just bring your iPod?

Please note...I'm not talking about trying to do an "official cruise" Zumba class...just like a demo or something unofficial...not for pay either...I'm not taking a cruise until March 2012 so I have plenty of time to get prepared...I'd just like to know what to do to get prepared.

• 1 month later...

I am not an instructor, but I had the good fortune of having a Zumba instructor as a fellow passenger on my last cruise. I met her on Day 2 of our 11 day transatlantic, and she taught a free class every day, except our 1 port day! Apparently there was only one person in class the first day (I met her later that day), but after that we had anywhere from 3 to 9 people in the class. She was delighted! She said she was planning on doing it by herself anyway, so she was glad to have company.

I'm not sure what arrangements, if any, she made with NCL. There were 3 extra classrooms in the fitness center, and we just used one of them after the pilates/yoga class finished at 9:30AM. There was a sound system in there, and she used her iPod. She made sure that we knew that we were liable for ourselves.

We had really calm seas, except for one day, when they were 14+ feet. That made it just a little more challenging.:D

I did see a sign-up sheet for a ship-sponsored Zumba class---for $20:eek:

Congrats on becoming an instructor! Off to post on your other thread!:)

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got in contact with an NCL rep before the cruise to get permission and be assigned a room and time for my classes on the Epic. I gathered people from my roll call to participate in class, they wouldn't let me advertise on ship. They gave me 4:30 pm time slots because thats when they didn't have any other group x classes going on so it wasn't very convenient, but hey, i was able to teach 3 classes that week so i was happy! They never asked to see my license or for my CPR/aed/first aid certs. I'm hoping to start up classes on my next cruise this winter on the Pearl. We'll see if they bite.

• 3 years later...

I just got back from the Navigator on Jan 3rd...

on day 2... 1st day at sea... on the itinerary was Latin fitness on deck at 9:30am.

I got there about 15 minutes before the class started... I went up to the young lady that was scheduled to teach it... I was all decked out in my Zumba gear...Ipod in hand...

I approached her and asked her if she was a Zumba Instructor... she said very quickly "No, are you?" I said "Yes would you like em to teach the class for you?

She replied " yes, I have bad knees, (pointing to her knee braces on both knees) but the last 2 days at sea and I'll tell my cruise director about it". I saw her altor on that week several times and she assured me I weas teaching it. and Lo and behold... I did it was awesome... for those that want to do it... just find the activites director early on in your cruise and approach them, bring your ZIN license as they will want to make sure you are ZIN... just because you wear Zumba leggings doesn't mean anything to them....

• 3 weeks later...
I just got back from the Navigator on Jan 3rd...

on day 2... 1st day at sea... on the itinerary was Latin fitness on deck at 9:30am.

I got there about 15 minutes before the class started... I went up to the young lady that was scheduled to teach it... I was all decked out in my Zumba gear...Ipod in hand...

I approached her and asked her if she was a Zumba Instructor... she said very quickly "No, are you?" I said "Yes would you like em to teach the class for you?

She replied " yes, I have bad knees, (pointing to her knee braces on both knees) but the last 2 days at sea and I'll tell my cruise director about it". I saw her altor on that week several times and she assured me I weas teaching it. and Lo and behold... I did it was awesome... for those that want to do it... just find the activites director early on in your cruise and approach them, bring your ZIN license as they will want to make sure you are ZIN... just because you wear Zumba leggings doesn't mean anything to them....

That's awesome you had luck with that! I pre-scheduled to teach on the NCL Epic and RCCL Independence 4 years ago. They put my classes in the newsletter so I had great turnouts on the independence (needed proof of license, group x cert and international liability insurance). But since then, both NCL and RCCL won't agree to letting me do it. NCL has gotten a lot of their staff licensed to teach now. I'll have to try your method on my next cruise in a week!