Mystery Island - EOTS in Feb

stevelcqld

Hi

On a cruise that stops at Mystery Island, this will be our 3rd attempt to stop here on cruises over the years, last 2 times we have missed it due to weather.

A quick question, can you just get the tender to shore and snorkel nearby or need to do a "tour" ?

Cheers

Steve

Hi

On a cruise that stops at Mystery Island, this will be our 3rd attempt to stop here on cruises over the years, last 2 times we have missed it due to weather.

A quick question, can you just get the tender to shore and snorkel nearby or need to do a "tour" ?

Cheers

Steve

There is no tour as such. I think you can pay locals to take you out on their boat, but not much else.

You just get the tender to shore and snorkel. Best snorkeling is probably the other side of the island from the jetty and past the airfield.

I have been told that the best snorkelling is on the other side, as in walking past the market area and go to the beach on the opposite side of the island from the tender landing area. I am heading there at the end of January on EOTS so will try to get back on here and let you know my thoughts prior to your cruise.

We were at Mystery Island on VOTS earlier this year. It was a beautiful calm day and no problems with tendering. My husband had booked a ship's tour to go on a glass bottom boat early in the morning.I met him at the jetty after he had finished his boat ride. There were a few other tours offered as well. We found that locals would take you out in their boats.

DH snorkeled on the opposite side of the island to the tender jetty. We just walked through from the jetty straight across. It as a bit rocky there but quite a bit of shade. DH found the current quite strong and as he didn't take flippers it was hard work. When we arrived back at the jetty you could see people snorkeling up from the jetty on both sides of it.

We are looking forward to returning there in early March. Hoping that once again the weather is kind to us.

Leigh

Mystery Island is one of my favorites. It's teeny-tiny with a pontoon dock for the tender. It takes about 2 minutes to walk to the other side, and there's a gorgeous lagoon there. A wonderful curved coral reef keeps the surf out, so snorkeling appeared to be good there.

I loved the crafts market and got a beautiful sapphire blue beach cover-up for $10. Leave some money with the locals!

Gorgeous place!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We were at Mystery Island on VOTS earlier this year. It was a beautiful calm day and no problems with tendering.

Quick question about tendering. We were on Explorer OTS in 2015 and it was a 2 hour wait to get back to the ship at the end of the day. The link became very hostile as there was no real organisation from RC and people started to try and cut in. How was your experience getting back to VOTS?

Thanks

Jay

Quick question about tendering. We were on Explorer OTS in 2015 and it was a 2 hour wait to get back to the ship at the end of the day. The link became very hostile as there was no real organisation from RC and people started to try and cut in. How was your experience getting back to VOTS?

Thanks

Jay

Hi Jay,

We didn't stay on the island all day so no problems with tenders. My husband had a very early start with his excursion and I met him near the tender dock/pontoon when he had finished. We walked straight onto a tender and were back on board by 2pm.

We sat on our balcony watching the tenders return and there didn't seem to be any problems. I think if you get off early and return when we did there shouldn't be too much of a problem. Of course it will depend on the weather conditions too. It was quite a hot day when we were there and we had had enough sun and water by the time we left the island.

Leigh

• 3 weeks later...
Mystery Island is one of my favorites. It's teeny-tiny with a pontoon dock for the tender. It takes about 2 minutes to walk to the other side, and there's a gorgeous lagoon there. A wonderful curved coral reef keeps the surf out, so snorkeling appeared to be good there.

I loved the crafts market and got a beautiful sapphire blue beach cover-up for $10. Leave some money with the locals!

Gorgeous place!

Good information, do they take US currency on the island? Thanks

We will be there in Oct on the Soltice. Has anyone been there in Oct I am hoping we will have calm seas :)

We were there in November and it was a perfectly beautiful day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk