Transfers from International Terminal Baoshan to Shanghai Hongqiao Airport

sagittarius

Despite buying package land and cruise trip with flights we have to make

our own arrangements to get from cruise terminal at Baoshan Shanghai to Shanghai Hongqiao airport. The travel agent company are quoting between $175 - $200 for a pre booked car. Is this reasonable? Does anyone know if RCI Quantum of the Seas will offer a shuttle as this is a cruise aimed at the Chinese market, (Shanghai to Japan return)?

Anyone with experience of this port and ease of using a taxi as I don't speak Chinese.

Quantum are offering sight seeing with drop off but only mentions Pudong airport in Shanghai: the main international one.

Information would be great as the travel company are not in the least bit helpful and don't seem to be all knowledgeable about their own product!

Time to find and use a different TA, drop the one you are considering not (hopefully, not too late) That is, IMHO, way over-priced unless they are sending you a Mercedes S500 or deluxe Sprinter van.

First, are you 99% sure that RCL's Quantum is docking at the Bund on the river, I don't think so as it's too shallow for mega ships to come and sail in & out of. I believe your ship will be at the Baoshan district, about 15 km NE of the central Shanghai "city" area popular with tourists - which is about a 40 km trip by taxi or other means of private transport to Hongqiao Airport, NW of the city, 45 minutes driving time but allow up to 75 to 90 minutes during rush hour in congested urban traffic.

Estimated taxi fare is under $150 RMB, including a little loose change for tipping (it's not required nor expected, but always appreciated - round up to about 10% should do nicely; and, it is a metered taxi fare) That convert to about $31 AUD or $24 USD roughly, based on published exchange rates.

Have the name & address of Hongqiao Airport written out in Chinese and the driver should understood and take you there ... most visitors & tourists do not speak and aren't fluent in the Chinese language in its many dialects. Between the cruiseline and the port's hospitality/tourism staff at the terminal, they should be able to help you with giving the driver a simple destination.

Hongqiao is for domestic & mostly, if not, all domestic "internal" flights within China, not international or flights to go abroad. Oversea flights are at Pudong (PVG) in a different direction, south of the port and a little closer.

Time to find and use a different TA, drop the one you are considering not (hopefully, not too late) That is, IMHO, way over-priced unless they are sending you a Mercedes S500 or deluxe Sprinter van.

First, are you 99% sure that RCL's Quantum is docking at the Bund on the river, I don't think so as it's too shallow for mega ships to come and sail in & out of. I believe your ship will be at the Baoshan district, about 15 km NE of the central Shanghai "city" area popular with tourists - which is about a 40 km trip by taxi or other means of private transport to Hongqiao Airport, NW of the city, 45 minutes driving time but allow up to 75 to 90 minutes during rush hour in congested urban traffic.

Estimated taxi fare is under $150 RMB, including a little loose change for tipping (it's not required nor expected, but always appreciated - round up to about 10% should do nicely; and, it is a metered taxi fare) That convert to about $31 AUD or $24 USD roughly, based on published exchange rates.

Have the name & address of Hongqiao Airport written out in Chinese and the driver should understood and take you there ... most visitors & tourists do not speak and aren't fluent in the Chinese language in its many dialects. Between the cruiseline and the port's hospitality/tourism staff at the terminal, they should be able to help you with giving the driver a simple destination.

Hongqiao is for domestic & mostly, if not, all domestic "internal" flights within China, not international or flights to go abroad. Oversea flights are at Pudong (PVG) in a different direction, south of the port and a little closer.

Thanks for reply. QOS will be docking in Baoshan as stated and due to nature of our package we fly from Shanghai to Guangzhou where we get the flight back to Oz. Good to know that maybe waiting till we disembark to get taxi at the port is an option.

Yes, Cruise1st trip.

Who have not been the most knowledgeable or helpful of companies. Quoted me for transfer to Shanghai Pudgong airport and when I pointed out that this was not our itinerary said they did not have our itinerary details😀.

Only just been able to apply for china visa too.

Look forward to meeting you on the trip.

Here's a little more info about Shanghai Taxis:

Shanghai Taxis

740986777c2b4872831375a8_cp_300x225.jpg

Shanghai Taxi

Taxis are the most convenient means of transportation in Shanghai. Taxis in Shanghai are mainly Santana cars. There are five main taxi companies in Shanghai, operating taxis of different colors.

Here are the five companies, with their colors and hotlines:

• Qiangsheng Taxi (yellow): 6258 0000
  • Dazhong Taxi (sky blue): 96822
  • Haibo Taxi (white): 96933
  • Bashi Taxi (light green): 96840
  • Jinjiang Taxi (mazarine): 96961

Fares for Shanghai Taxis

• From 05:00 to 22:59: 14 yuan for the first 3 kilometers (1.9 miles) and 2.50 yuan for each additional kilometer (0.6 mile) up to 15 kilometers; 3.6 per kilometer afterwards.
  • From 23:00 to 04:59: 18 yuan for the first 3 kilometers and 3.10 yuan for each additional kilometer up to 15 kilometers; 4.7 per kilometer afterwards.

Trips out of town: If you intend to hire a taxi out of town (such as to a water town) or to the nearby city of Suzhou, it is suggested that you first negotiate a price with the driver. Also, it is better that you hire the taxi for a round trip because most drivers are reluctant to go one way for a long distance. Instead of public taxis, a private driver and vehicle may be more convenient, enjoyable, and even more economical.

Be aware that some drivers or people in fake taxis might scam you by overcharging or giving counterfeit money. To help make sure that they don't scam you, make sure they turn on the meter at the start, and get a receipt.

Additional info in English available at chinahighlights dot com - not an endorsement and/or affiliated with them, please check their ratings & reviews on Tripadvisors.

Who have not been the most knowledgeable or helpful of companies. Quoted me for transfer to Shanghai Pudgong airport and when I pointed out that this was not our itinerary said they did not have our itinerary details😀.

Only just been able to apply for china visa too.

Look forward to meeting you on the trip.

Did you have any trouble with paperwork when applying for the Visa?

We are going on Monday to get them.

We will be on bus No 4 in China.

Did you have any trouble with paperwork when applying for the Visa?

We are going on Monday to get them.

We will be on bus No 4 in China.

Once we finally got the paperwork from cruise1st and could fill in the forms. The visa centre is very busy but very efficient and didn't wait too long. My other half is going in on 26th to collect our passports so will know then if all good.

Think we are on bus 4 too.

Have you cruised RCI much previously?

We have done quite a few RCI trips...Emerald Status. We haven’t booked a transfer yet. Looking at private transfers at present. We ate sa group of six.

If you find reasonable quote or company then would be grateful for any info. Just two of us.

Only done RCI cruise but several with Princess. So very low on loyalty ladder here. QOS will be largest ship we been on. Be quite different i expect.

• 2 weeks later...
Despite buying package land and cruise trip with flights we have to make

our own arrangements to get from cruise terminal at Baoshan Shanghai to Shanghai Hongqiao airport. The travel agent company are quoting between $175 - $200 for a pre booked car. Is this reasonable? Does anyone know if RCI Quantum of the Seas will offer a shuttle as this is a cruise aimed at the Chinese market, (Shanghai to Japan return)?

The Chinese will all use tour busses to get to their home town. You won't find a shuttle.

Anyone with experience of this port and ease of using a taxi as I don't speak Chinese.

I spent a week in Beijing and Shanghai, and used index cards with address printed for Taxi's. Never had a problem. Most taxi drivers will not speak English, and the taxi has a meter.

Quantum are offering sight seeing with drop off but only mentions Pudong airport in Shanghai: the main international one.

I did this since my flight was late in the afternoon. It turned out to be a private tour when no one else signed up. Yes, it dropped us off at main airport.

Information would be great as the travel company are not in the least bit helpful and don't seem to be all knowledgeable about their own product!

Price of a taxi from the Bund area of Shanghai to the cruise ship was about USD $15.00 or CNY ¥92,00. So I imagine the airport you are going to should be no more than USD $40.00. I used taxi's the entire stay and never had an issue, and the price was reasonable. One day, the hotel hired a taxi for me for a day, which cost us ¥500 which is about $80.00. This was a negotiated price and based on what we were doing, well worth it. He waited for us, where we were, and never once spoke but always agreed on the time for pickup. So, If I could have a taxi for 8 hours, I think you could find a taxi for the airport very reasonable.

If you find reasonable quote or company then would be grateful for any info. Just two of us.

Only done RCI cruise but several with Princess. So very low on loyalty ladder here. QOS will be largest ship we been on. Be quite different i expect.

We are doing a city tour and drop off at the airport with Jennys Shanghai Tours. Works out about USD$58 each.

We are doing a city tour and drop off at the airport with Jennys Shanghai Tours. Works out about USD$58 each.

That sounds like fun. Did you see post on a roll call thread about how long it took to disembark? Was concerned about how to know what time to book if prebooked something. Still trying to decide what to do.