Portland tours

dacsmom

I am torn between an RCI excursion visiting three lighthouses, or spending the day starting at Holy Donuts and then a firetruck tour of the city, followed up by a nice lunch and just wandering around. Any opinions are welcome.

I am torn between an RCI excursion visiting three lighthouses, or spending the day starting at Holy Donuts and then a firetruck tour of the city, followed up by a nice lunch and just wandering around. Any opinions are welcome.

Your 2nd option (Holy Donut Day) would easily be my choice for Portland.

Are the 3 lighthouses Spring Point, Bug Light, and Portland Head? The first two are nothing really to see, and are right in the harbor across from where the ship docks. Portland Head is nice, but a half hour each way. You can get a great view of Portland Head Light, and unique photo perspectives (from seaward) if you get up about an hour before docking the ship sails right past. You may also get a good view of Ram Island Ledge Light (virtually just a rock in the harbor with a lighthouse) on the other side of the ship.

I like Holy Donut, but not a raving fan. The fire truck tour is something I learned about recently, and sounds like a great way to get introduced to the city and find places you'd like to go back to in the afternoon. Most things in downtown Portland are less than a mile from the dock, very walkable. Eastern Prom trail goes to a nice park with great views down Casco Bay. The Portland Observatory lets you climb history and get even better views of the bay. Old Port and downtown have lots of shopping and museums. Brewery tours available as well.

I booked the firetruck tour, and then planning on the Observatory. Now on to lunch. If you were looking for a lobster roll where would you go? The firetruck tour is right in front on Portland Lobster Company. There is another thread asking about where to eat in Portland and every suggestion looked delicious. The Grill Room has deep fried hotdogs (a guilty pleasure), Boone's Fish House looks really good especially the seafood newburg. The Kings Head also has some really tasty things on the menu.

Lobster rolls downtown, close to pier would be Portland Lobster Co, Becky's Diner, or High Roller Lobster Co. High Roller used to be a cart, now they have the cart and a restaurant, and they do other things besides rolls, like a deep fried "lobby pop", which is a cornbread battered deep fried lobster tail on a stick, or a lobster taco.

The duck confit pizza at the Grill Room is fantastic, sometimes they have Carpaccio, scallops in rotation are large and excellent. King's Head Scotch Eggs and Shepherd's Pie are also excellent.

Lobster rolls downtown, close to pier would be Portland Lobster Co, Becky's Diner, or High Roller Lobster Co. High Roller used to be a cart, now they have the cart and a restaurant, and they do other things besides rolls, like a deep fried "lobby pop", which is a cornbread battered deep fried lobster tail on a stick, or a lobster taco.

The duck confit pizza at the Grill Room is fantastic, sometimes they have Carpaccio, scallops in rotation are large and excellent. King's Head Scotch Eggs and Shepherd's Pie are also excellent.

High Roller sounds Devine! Lobster tacos sound like an amazing lunch.

• 4 weeks later...