Oli's Trolley for Acadia

Speedy55

We plan on booking this tour online and we want the 10 am time. Our ship is the NCL Gem and it arrives at 8am and I believe this is a tender port. Would we make the time if we left the ship as soon as possible. We will not have priority tendering. Thank you

While I don't know how NCL handles their tender process, we tendered at that port twice last fall (we were on B2B cruises), and the time into shore was much shorter than the estimates we were given on the ship. The line we were on also used large private tenders, which made the process faster.

And we did an Oli's Trolley tour of Acadia, and were very pleased.

We plan on booking this tour online and we want the 10 am time. Our ship is the NCL Gem and it arrives at 8am and I believe this is a tender port. Would we make the time if we left the ship as soon as possible. We will not have priority tendering. Thank you

Is the port before Bar Harbor a US or Canadian port? If it is Canadian, you will have to clear customs before tenders are allowed to depart the cruise ship. Your time for the excursion could be OK depending how efficiently customs is handled.

SBtS

While I don't know how NCL handles their tender process, we tendered at that port twice last fall (we were on B2B cruises), and the time into shore was much shorter than the estimates we were given on the ship. The line we were on also used large private tenders, which made the process faster.

And we did an Oli's Trolley tour of Acadia, and were very pleased.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is the port before Bar Harbor a US or Canadian port? If it is Canadian, you will have to clear customs before tenders are allowed to depart the cruise ship. Your time for the excursion could be OK depending how efficiently customs is handled.

SBtS

Thank you for the reply we will be coming from a Canadian port.

Bar Harbor can be missed often due to winds. I don't know Oli's policy but I would check to see if they give you a refund if your ship misses the port.

They will refund the money if the Gem doesn't stop at the port. Thank you I didn't realize this stop was often missed. We are going in June.

Oli's Trolley is right up the street from where the tender lets you off. If you have a voucher, you can exchange it for your ticket almost right at the tender location.

We tendered twice at Bar Harbor last fall, and there are two tender locations. The first time we tendered into a dock essentially beside the Oli's Trolley gift store and a five to ten minute walk to the area where you board Oli's Trolley. The second time we tendered into the area right beside where you board the Oli's Trollies. Both locations were very convenient.

Also, there are numerous Oli’s Trollies departing for Acadia. Even if you have a timed ticket they just put you in the queue and you get on the next trolly. I was on a trip that sailed from Canada and I do not remember the customs process being any ordeal at all, I believe it consisted of handing off a form. The Oli’s Trolly tour was great but very short, a wonderful overview of what I want to explore in more depth next time I am in Baaa Haaaabaaaa.

• 1 month later...

Regarding Oli's Trolly...

They have a tour of Arcadia Park and one that goes up Cadillac Mtn. Never been to Bar Harbor, so what's the difference between the two and is one better than the other?

They offer 2 tours of the park, one 4 hr and the other 2.5 hr. The 4 hour tour starts at 9:30 and I would hesitate getting that one since we are tendering in to shore and could easily miss it. If there is a big difference between the 2 tours, we could do the 10:30, 2.5 hour tour and maybe still have enough time to do the 1 hour mountain tour afterwards.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cadillac Mtn is just a great view. Its really hard to tell if its worth it until you get there. If its foggy, you won't see much. We once did an Oli's tour (not on a cruise, we just drove and spent a weekend in Bar Harbor) and at the beginning of the tour, it was too foggy, so we skipped the mountain for other parts of Acadia. At the end, the driver opted to drive up the mountain since the fog had lifted a bit.

Regarding Oli's Trolly...

They have a tour of Arcadia Park and one that goes up Cadillac Mtn. Never been to Bar Harbor, so what's the difference between the two and is one better than the other?

They offer 2 tours of the park, one 4 hr and the other 2.5 hr. The 4 hour tour starts at 9:30 and I would hesitate getting that one since we are tendering in to shore and could easily miss it. If there is a big difference between the 2 tours, we could do the 10:30, 2.5 hour tour and maybe still have enough time to do the 1 hour mountain tour afterwards.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The Cadillac Mountain tour only goes to the summit of CM, and stays for 15 minutes. The Acadia Park tour includes the summit of CM, and it also includes a ride on the Park Loop Rd. The PLR loops the park with stops at points of interest. Which is best? What interests you? If you just want to see the summit of a mountain, then you take the mountain tour.

There are 2 park tours. Both do the summit of CM. The longer tour's stops are for 30 minutes vs 15 minutes on the shorter tour. The longer tour has one more stop than the shorter.

What time does your cruise ship arrive in BH, and is the previous port of call US or Canadian?

SBtS

I exchanged a couple of emails with the Bar Harbor manager of Oli's Tolleys. She confirmed everything I need to know. I think the 2-1/2 hour tour is what we want.

• 2 months later...
i dont know. for me, if it is something i really really want to do, it is best for me to book in advance.

Thank you for your reply.I really only want to do the tour if the weather is ok.I am aware we won t see a lot if visibilty is poor so I would probably do something else if that was the case

We did not pre-book the Oli's Trolley, but just bought the tickets once we were ashore. There were two cruise ships tendering but Oli's Trolley was not sold out.

Thats great! Just what i wanted to hear.Thanks:):)