Mauna Kea Questions

alwalaska

I personally think the views, the drive, and breathing the thin air even going only as far as far as the visitors center is totally worth it but I'm sure someone else would see it as a waste of time. It's worth nothing that there's not much to do there besides looking and hiking around.

Checking the map, it's much shorter drive from Hilo than from Kailua-Kona - like 35ish miles vs 50ish or 60ish miles (the shorter Kona route is also the "backroads" route and may or may not be faster). From the Kona side, it also takes longer to get to the Saddle Road. It sounds like the construction on the east side of the saddle road is long finished so I'm assuming you wouldn't have to deal with the traffic and bypass that I drove through last year. the trip to get through Hilo to the Saddle road should be comparatively short - Would be helpful if someone with more current knowledge could confirm though.

Oh boy...another "worth it" question.

Only you can decide that for you.

We did the area on a land tour...didn't go to the top. Didn't think it worth it.

I can say that your first sentence wasn't worth the effort you put into typing it. Thank you for the second and 3rd sentences.

Yes, everyone's mileage will vary, but most of the reviews talked about start gazing and sunrises, neither of which we can do, so I wasn't sure if there was even a good view in the middle of the day. To you, it wasn't worth it, so that helps with my decision.

I personally think the views, the drive, and breathing the thin air even going only as far as far as the visitors center is totally worth it but I'm sure someone else would see it as a waste of time. It's worth nothing that there's not much to do there besides looking and hiking around.

Checking the map, it's much shorter drive from Hilo than from Kailua-Kona - like 35ish miles vs 50ish or 60ish miles (the shorter Kona route is also the "backroads" route and may or may not be faster). From the Kona side, it also takes longer to get to the Saddle Road. It sounds like the construction on the east side of the saddle road is long finished so I'm assuming you wouldn't have to deal with the traffic and bypass that I drove through last year. the trip to get through Hilo to the Saddle road should be comparatively short - Would be helpful if someone with more current knowledge could confirm though.

Thank you for your info. Unfortunately, we won't be able to make sunrise or sunset since the ship doesn't overnight, but I appreciate the other info. We will be so busy on this cruise, a day with only 1 thing to see may be worth it, just from a relaxation point of view.

Good to know about the road conditions too.

We love the views at sunset, and the stars are amazing. But don’t know if you are there late enough. It is probably a little closer to Hilo.

Thanks. Unfortunately, ship sails before sunset. :( I've heard of people arranging to stay overnight, but I'd be worried about the ship not being able to tender on day 2 at Kona. If it was reversed with the tender on day 1 and docking on day 2, I would probably find a hotel and stay overnight, but no such luck.

Usually the Kona side is fairly calm, we go there every year but there can always be high surf.

You could rent a car and drive up from Hilo if you wish. There are pretty amazing views but it all depends on the clouds. AT 9000 feet you can be above the clouds. With that altitude it leaves one a bit breathless, even my 30 year old son. We do this every year and the construction is done but it is a windy drive up. If you’ve never been to Hilo I would suggest driving to Akaha falls to see beautiful water falls and jungle foliage.

Usually the Kona side is fairly calm, we go there every year but there can always be high surf.

You could rent a car and drive up from Hilo if you wish. There are pretty amazing views but it all depends on the clouds. AT 9000 feet you can be above the clouds. With that altitude it leaves one a bit breathless, even my 30 year old son. We do this every year and the construction is done but it is a windy drive up. If you’ve never been to Hilo I would suggest driving to Akaha falls to see beautiful water falls and jungle foliage.

Thanks. I'm definitely going to have to go back some day. I have a total of 4 different plans for the 2 days (stops). I may end up waiting until we get there to decide.

Plan 1 from Hilo I have one with Akaha falls, Rainbow falls, Botanical Gardens, etc all near the port or just north.

Plan 2 from Hilo (original plan, then replaced when VNP closed, now put back into the mix) Drive down to VNP and all the way down the Chain of Craters Rd to the Sea Arch and see other things that are open in the park that is supposedly reopening tomorrow.

Plan 3 - Hilo or Kona - Drive to Mauna Kea. Enjoy saying we've been a good ways up a big volcano and then just explore the port area before getting back on the ship. We already have plans for both days in Maui, and they don't include Haleakala.

Plan 4 - from Kona - drive down to Pu'uhonua O Honaunau NHP and then stop and see things on the way back to the port that look interesting based on time.

For Hilo, both plans look good Volcano permitting:D

For Kona, I would strongly recommend city of refuge and stopping at a coffee plantation enroute. The city of refuge is beautiful and gives you a good idea of what it was like in ancient times, nearby two step has good snorkelling if you are fairly comfortable in the water and mobile as you go in off some rocks and it is deep. Have lunch at the Manago hotel on the main road on the way back or Teshimas for great Japanese food. Both these restaurants have existed nearly 100 years! No major construction last year this way.

Or if you really want to visit Mauna Kea, do that first and stop at the national historic site Hono Ko Hau by entering the marina just north of Kona and keeping to the right. You can see a longhouse there and usually some turtles and it a lovely spot for a picnic on a shady beach. Or have lunch in Waimea on the way back and visit the Parker ranch. This would involve several hours of driving each way and unless there has been a marked improvement there has been a lot of construction north of Kona. So allow lots of time for your return.

For Hilo, both plans look good Volcano permitting:D

For Kona, I would strongly recommend city of refuge and stopping at a coffee plantation enroute. The city of refuge is beautiful and gives you a good idea of what it was like in ancient times, nearby two step has good snorkelling if you are fairly comfortable in the water and mobile as you go in off some rocks and it is deep. Have lunch at the Manago hotel on the main road on the way back or Teshimas for great Japanese food. Both these restaurants have existed nearly 100 years! No major construction last year this way.

Or if you really want to visit Mauna Kea, do that first and stop at the national historic site Hono Ko Hau by entering the marina just north of Kona and keeping to the right. You can see a longhouse there and usually some turtles and it a lovely spot for a picnic on a shady beach. Or have lunch in Waimea on the way back and visit the Parker ranch. This would involve several hours of driving each way and unless there has been a marked improvement there has been a lot of construction north of Kona. So allow lots of time for your return.

Thank you. That is very helpful. I'm not nimble enough for 2 step unfortunately. The warning about keeping your hands flat because of the sea urchins in the holes when you are trying to get back up, along with my lack of agility had me taking it off of my list of To Do places. :rolleyes:

There are a couple of places in your list I haven't heard of, so I will add them in to research.

Thanks again.