Send luggage to hotel so it arrives before you fly into cruise port?

Tim-n-Gina

I like the convenience of flying with a simple carry-on bag or backpack and I'm willing to pay a few extra dollars for that convenience as well as the peace of mind (Tracking#) that my main luggage is in our hotel before we fly out.

When DW and I last traveled with the kids, we UPS/Fedex'd our luggage to our (small family run) hotel in advance of our arrival date, It worked very well for us at the time, and then we shipped the same box back to home before we flew back.

Have others here done similar things?

Will most hotels agree to receive a package and store it for a day or two for an arriving guest?

I haven't asked out hotel yet but that is what I'd like to do on the way to Miami on the day before our upcoming cruise. For the trip home, we can either ship it back, or bring it to the airport and check it onto the flight. At that point it will not matter if our bag is lost or delayed by the airline on the way home.

I like the convenience of flying with a simple carry-on bag or backpack and I'm willing to pay a few extra dollars for that convenience as well as the peace of mind (Tracking#) that my main luggage is in our hotel before we fly out.

When DW and I last traveled with the kids, we UPS/Fedex'd our luggage to our (small family run) hotel in advance of our arrival date, It worked very well for us at the time, and then we shipped the same box back to home before we flew back.

Will most hotels agree to receive a package and store it for a day or two for an arriving guest?

I haven't asked out hotel yet but that is what I'd like to do on the way to Miami on the day before our upcoming cruise. For the trip home, we can either ship it back, or bring it to the airport and check it onto the flight. At that point it will not matter if our bag is lost or delayed by the airline on the way home.

This (UPS/FEDEX) is a bad idea for all of the obvious reasons.

A better option would be a dedicated luggage valet service like "Luggage Forward."

What obvious reasons?

Some hotels charge a fee to receive a package (which includes luggage).

Last winter, my SO arrived without her bag. She arrived on evening, the next morning we flew to Orlando. The airline FedEx'd her bag to the hotel. There was a $25 charge by the hotel to receive and handle the "package."

What obvious reasons?

Some hotels charge a fee to receive a package (which includes luggage).

Last winter, my SO arrived without her bag. She arrived on evening, the next morning we flew to Orlando. The airline FedEx'd her bag to the hotel. There was a $25 charge by the hotel to receive and handle the "package."

The issue is not so much the hotel (where acceptance/storage/security/cost does vary) as it is the reliability of "general" shipping methods (e.g., UPS/FEDEX/DHL) when compared to a very specific/focused luggage valet service where that's all they do.

The NY Times even did an article on this a couple of years ago. I think FEDEX now offers some specific luggage program. But, i know of no cruise lines that recommend FEDEX over their own "partners" like Luggage Forward.

Pro photographers do it all the time. If they can trust thousands of dollars in camera gear being shipped like this,I can't see any reason why there would be any issue with socks, pants and shirts. You would have to make sure the hotel will accept it or possibly look into having it sent to a local Fedex or UPS store and just pick it up upon arrival. There is also the cost, I can only assume it would be much higher than just paying for the checked bag fee.

I used to work for a chain hotel in a major tourist area. we did not accept packages for guests if they were not already in residence. as in we would refuse to accept anything addressed to anyone not currently staying. we had to get the okay to accept packages arriving the same day as the guest's reservation. Manager said it was because they were not willing to store anything overnight as we did not have a secure place to do so.

we did not have bell services however. maybe a venue that does would be okay with doing so.

I believe FedEx charges $99 to ship bags (up to 50 pounds) within the USA. But whether a hotel would accept the package is another issue. If you are staying in a 5 Star (or similar) Hotel you can call the Concierge and they will generally make arrangements to hold luggage....but most folks would then tip about $20 to the Concierge once they get to the hotel. Both Luggage Forward and UPS also offer similar services. With UPS you could have the luggage shipped to a UPS Store where they would hold it for pick-up.

Shipping Internationally is very expensive but Luggage Free will even ship to a cruise ship. For example, shipping a single 50 pound bag would cost nearly $300 if you wanted to sent it to Europe! Ouch.

We used to think it was crazy to ship luggage ahead, but with the airlines continuing to jack up luggage fees it is starting to make more sense.

Hank

The issue is not so much the hotel (where acceptance/storage/security/cost does vary) as it is the reliability of "general" shipping methods (e.g., UPS/FEDEX/DHL) when compared to a very specific/focused luggage valet service where that's all they do.

The NY Times even did an article on this a couple of years ago. I think FEDEX now offers some specific luggage program. But, i know of no cruise lines that recommend FEDEX over their own "partners" like Luggage Forward.

Umm, Luggage Forward uses FedEx and/or DHL, look it up.

Ramona

Just like cruise lines push shoppers to their approved stores, they will also only recommend their approved partners for excursions and shipping. Hardly an unbiased reference. More in the interest of the cruise line rather than their customers.

My solution for luggage is to travel with just a carry on and a shoulder bag for any length cruise.

Umm, Luggage Forward uses FedEx and/or DHL, look it up.

Ramona

Not the point I was trying to make. The issue is getting it "to and from" the long haul shipping process (particularly internationally). The last thing anyone needs is the possibility of having to schlep bags to/from a UPS store, not have representation for issues in transit abroad, etc.

BTW, we don't use any kind of luggage shipping since we seldom are faced with checked bag fees due to our choice of airlines/loyalty level/affinity credit card.

Just like cruise lines push shoppers to their approved stores, they will also only recommend their approved partners for excursions and shipping. Hardly an unbiased reference. More in the interest of the cruise line rather than their customers.

My solution for luggage is to travel with just a carry on and a shoulder bag for any length cruise.

This is a bit unrealistic for long cruises (e.g., exceeding a month). Shipboard laundry charges for stretching out that week of clothes in your carry-on will easily trump the checked bag fee. Remember as well that many folks headed to certain locations also cart snorkel and/or other sports gear.

I used to work for a chain hotel in a major tourist area. we did not accept packages for guests if they were not already in residence. as in we would refuse to accept anything addressed to anyone not currently staying. we had to get the okay to accept packages arriving the same day as the guest's reservation. Manager said it was because they were not willing to store anything overnight as we did not have a secure place to do so.

we did not have bell services however. maybe a venue that does would be okay with doing so.

Having done extensive travel in my career and having done a lot of speaking engagements, I frequently shipped printed materials to the hotel to simplify the process.

Most big chain hotels (Marriott, Hilton, Holiday Inn, etc.) will happily accept packages addressed to arriving guests and store them inn their bell stand storage room. Typically they will want you to have a confirmed reservation and be a member of their frequent guest program. I've also done the advance shipping method for cruise luggage to Ft. Lauderdale when sailing from there.

Some cruise lines (Princess, for example) also offer advance shipping of luggage directly to the ship. I haven't used that feature, but will definitely consider it on our next cruise out of Ft Lauderdale.

• Like 1

For our next cruise, the cruise line includes shipping 2 bags each from home direct to the ship in LA. I believe they use Luggage Forward.

On the return, we will stay in London for a few days, so will use a service that picks up our cases up at the hotel and delivers them to the airline baggage handlers at LHR. Airprtr's prices are very reasonable and this service is available for BA and I believe AA flights departing LHR. Not as convenient as getting them shipped home, but definitely a fraction of the price.

The cruise line points you to Luggage Forward, as they handle the interaction with the cruise line. FedEx will try to deliver to you, on the ship, and things can get screwy.

If you ship to the port, have it shipped to a nearby FedEx/UPS.DHL store and pick up there, or use a service that handles the interaction with the cruise line.

Having done extensive travel in my career and having done a lot of speaking engagements, I frequently shipped printed materials to the hotel to simplify the process.

Most big chain hotels (Marriott, Hilton, Holiday Inn, etc.) will happily accept packages addressed to arriving guests and store them inn their bell stand storage room. Typically they will want you to have a confirmed reservation and be a member of their frequent guest program. I've also done the advance shipping method for cruise luggage to Ft. Lauderdale when sailing from there.

Some cruise lines (Princess, for example) also offer advance shipping of luggage directly to the ship. I haven't used that feature, but will definitely consider it on our next cruise out of Ft Lauderdale.

I've just priced out Luggage Forward for a multi-city delivery and pickup. I'm on 49 day cruise FLL to LAX around South America. I will also be juggling a case of custom T-Shirts for those in the Roll Call who want them. We are up to 22 shirts with four months to go so I don't know how big that box will be. I also want to shop for personal items and I'm into essential oil and carrier oils that I use to keep me healthily.

Ramona

Thank you all for your reply's.

Was unaware of Luggage Forward, Thank you. Their price seems similar and they will pick up luggage at our home. Slightly more convenient than bringing it to a shipper storefront and having them box it up (which would add cost).

I spoke to hotel, they are fully prepared to accept delivery of a package as long as the addressee has the same name as the reservation. The person I spoke to did not mention a charge.

• Like 1

For our next cruise, the cruise line includes shipping 2 bags each from home direct to the ship in LA. I believe they use Luggage Forward.

On the return, we will stay in London for a few days, so will use a service that picks up our cases up at the hotel and delivers them to the airline baggage handlers at LHR. Airprtr's prices are very reasonable and this service is available for BA and I believe AA flights departing LHR. Not as convenient as getting them shipped home, but definitely a fraction of the price.

Once upon a time we booked a HAL cruise that offered "free luggage forwarding" for certain cabin categories. But "Free" does not usually mean "free" when marketed by any cruise line. In the case of HAL we booked through one of our favored cruise agencies and with their generous On Board Credit we saved about $3000 on the booking. But, sad to say, it was no longer "free" to ship our luggage. Bottom line it would have cost us about $3000 to ship a few pieces of luggage..."free." Enough said,

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
My husband checked with Princess regarding sending luggage from Melbourne, Australia to the ship in Sydney. Over $700! May check out sending to our Sydney hotel. We're doing a 9 night land tour before our cruise.

We were once faced with a similar issue. So we flew in a day early and spent 1 night in the same hotel we were going to use at the end of the tour. The Concierge was happy to hold our luggage (a $50 tip enhanced his happiness) until we returned in a couple of weeks.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

OK, Mission accomplished.

Spoke with, and verified by email to create a "paper trail" with my hotel in Miami Beach. They would accept packages addressed to a current or arriving guest.

Went to the local UPS store on Monday 10/8.  They boxed and shipped my 45 lb suitcase for around $85, insured for $300. In the addressee line I put my name c/o of hotel name and my reservation confirmation #.  It arrived and was delivered to "front desk" on Thurs 10/11.

We checked in on Saturday and the bellman delivered the box to our room.

Considering that American would have checked that bag for $25, we effectively paid a premium of $60 for the convenience of not having to schlep a bag thru 2 airports and wait for it at baggage claim.

On the outgoing trip, It certainly was nice to pass thru the airports with just carry-on bags, and having the security of knowing our bag was already at the hotel before flying out, but $60 is a bit extravagant...

On the way home today, we checked the same bag for $25 and sailed thru both airports with no hassles.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Edited by Tim-n-Gina
clarity

On 9/3/2018 at 1:23 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

This is a bit unrealistic for long cruises (e.g., exceeding a month). Shipboard laundry charges for stretching out that week of clothes in your carry-on will easily trump the checked bag fee. Remember as well that many folks headed to certain locations also cart snorkel and/or other sports gear.

1. Loyalty perks can get you free bags of laundry. We get by nicely on one bag per week split between the two of us.

2. Most (all?) cabins have a sink. Sinks are ideal for doing a hand wash every few days.

3. Loyalty perks can get you zero checked luggage fees.

4. Taken together, the above points mean that a carry-on size suitcase per person plus a shoulder bag for extras is plenty for a four-week or longer cruise. We check the carry-ons so that we don’t need to schlep through the airports...

Stan

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:10 PM, GottaKnowWhen said:

1. Loyalty perks can get you free bags of laundry. We get by nicely on one bag per week split between the two of us.

2. Most (all?) cabins have a sink. Sinks are ideal for doing a hand wash every few days.

4. Taken together, the above points mean that a carry-on size suitcase per person plus a shoulder bag for extras is plenty for a four-week or longer cruise. We check the carry-ons so that we don’t need to schlep through the airports...

Stan

The amount of luggage you carry with you is great … for YOU.  As pointed out, for longer cruises that does NOT work for everyone, depends on what you're doing and what you need to do it!!  Many people (myself included) do not want to do a lot of hand washing in the sink.  We have free laundry on more than one cruise line, but prefer to keep the hand washing to a minimum.  

I just realized you said that you "check the carry-ons" … so … they're not carry ons??  Or do you check them at the gate?  

Edited by Lady Chew

On 10/22/2018 at 7:10 PM, GottaKnowWhen said:

Stan

Sure glad that works for you, but no way DW could survive for 4 months with less than 2 -3 cases.

Not all cruise lines bribe pax with loyalty perks. Our preferred Line is one of them, but it does provide free self-service laundry. They also include free shipping of 2 cases from home direct to the ship and business class air, which provides comp checked baggage.

So no washing clothes in the sink for us. We will take 4 cases for our 4 month cruise.