Honolulu

mourhaan

Best place for a Luau. We have only one night in Hawaii

Personally if I only had one night in Honolulu I wouldn't waste it at a luau.

I'd go to The House Without A Key for cocktails and then go to Orchids, Hula Grill or Michel's at the Colony Surf. These are 4* and 5* restaurants. Luaus are 2* meals with 4* entertainment.

If I HAD to choose a luau it would be Hale Koa, but you need a DOD connection to get in. My next choice would be Chief's Luau or Paradise Cove.

I'd go to The House Without A Key for cocktails and then go to Orchids, Hula Grill or Michel's at the Colony Surf. These are 4* and 5* restaurants.

While both the Hula Grill in Waikiki and the one at Ka'anapali Beach on Maui are fun, we would not give them 4 or 5 stars, and are curious what makes you rate them so highly?

I'd go to The House Without A Key for cocktails and then go to Orchids, Hula Grill or Michel's at the Colony Surf. These are 4* and 5* restaurants. Luaus are 2* meals with 4* entertainment.

If I HAD to choose a luau it would be Hale Koa, but you need a DOD connection to get in. My next choice would be Chief's Luau or Paradise Cove.

Scott, would you recommend Hale Koa over the Polynesian Cultural Center's luau? We are staying at Hale Koa.

While both the Hula Grill in Waikiki and the one at Ka'anapali Beach on Maui are fun, we would not give them 4 or 5 stars, and are curious what makes you rate them so highly.

I guess it depends on how you rate restaurants. Hula Grill has the most sophisticated menu of the TS restaurants, uses quality ingredients and presents a "casual elegant" atmosphere, as OpenTable calls it.

http://www.hulagrillwaikiki.com/menus/dining-room

It is certainly better than a 3* and better than 3 1/2*.... that makes 4* the next rating to me.

Would it be 4* in Paris? No, but the ocean views and open air dining in December in Paris stink. As with all things in life, so many things are relative.

But if you want to call Hula Grill a 3*, so be it. That makes luau food a 1*.

But if you want to call Hula Grill a 3*, so be it. That makes luau food a 1*.

Rob Thibaut, the "T" in TS Restaurants, was our neighbor here on Maui until he passed away, and we liked the way he and his business partner Sandy Saxten ran their restaurants. We aren't good at rating places, but have to say that, ratings or no ratings, we would recommend any TS venue for visitors and locals alike.

As to luau food, your statement is the truth.

We really enjoyed the Chief's Luau. There were activities beforehand for adults and kids. The drinks were good. The food was good. The entertainment was excellent. It was also pretty intimate. I would guess there were maybe 150 people there? The Chief personally thanked everyone as they were leaving. We felt like we had been at an excellent family party. So much fun.

I have also been to Paradise Cove (2015) and I would

not

recommend it. The food was just passable and the entertainment was very cheesy with forced "frivolity" on the guests. None of the 5 people I went with felt it was a good use of time or money. I second the idea to go to the House Without a Key hula and music show instead. If you happen to go to Maui I would recommend the Old Lahaina Luau if you want a Luau experience.......light years better than Paradise Cove IMO. Have a great time in Hawaii!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm curious to know if there are any shops close to the cruise ship dock in Honolulu where I can pick up a twelve pack of Diet Coke to bring back aboard ship? Princess doesn't ban non-alcoholic beverages from being brought aboard. :)

Whole Foods is about a mile away.

looking at Google maps there is a 7-11 very close - on Bishop I think - we pass when going to bus stop - planned on stopping for sodas myself on way back to ship

I'm curious to know if there are any shops close to the cruise ship dock in Honolulu where I can pick up a twelve pack of Diet Coke to bring back aboard ship? Princess doesn't ban non-alcoholic beverages from being brought aboard. :)