Getting the third degree at Customs

LandlockedCruiser01

Customs agents are trained to “read” body language. If you have had a previous negative experience when returning to the U.S., it may be reflected unconsciously in your body language. That will cause you to be screened more closely. Always act like you know what you are doing. You want to be comfortable but not overbearing in your demeanor. Just be calm and pleasant.

Reminds me of that film, "Midnight Express", telling the (dramatized) true story of an American student attempting to smuggle a couple of kilos of hashish out of Turkey....his profuse sweating, and rapid deep breathing as he was being scrutinized was a dead giveaway to the inspector's....

Good flick to watch for anyone even thinking of trying to smuggle something...;)

• 1 month later...
I already did two solo cruises, and each time, I found myself getting heavily screened at customs. The agents were being total jerks, asking me detailed questions about what I do for work, purpose of my travel, who I'm traveling with (were they being rhetorical?), purpose of some things I packed for my cruise, etc. During one of the cruises, I was even picked out for more detailed screening. It was a quick, but irritating experience, and when the agents found nothing, they begrudgingly sent me on my way.

I ran into two of my cruise friends after getting through Customs; we were waiting for our buses in the same area. They told me that it was because I was traveling alone. While that won't stop me from cruising solo again, the reason is quite unsettling. Compared to my experience with Border Patrol, the TSA agents at the airport were almost as nice to me as the Carnival crew members. If you believe the news articles, TSA is supposed to be really bad.

So on with my question: just how common is it for solo cruisers to get the third degree at Customs? Do they screened and questioned more thoroughly than couples and families? Has there been a history of people using cruise ships to smuggle drugs from countries like Jamaica? If you've had similar experiences or can suggest an answer, please go ahead. If it makes a difference, I'm male, age 29.

I cruise solo al the time and have never run into trouble with customs. I just get funny looks when I go to dinner, am taken to a table for two, then the servers realize that nobody else is coming. Have fun!

I very frequently got more, and more pointed questions, when traveling solo, particularly from US Immigration (moreso than when I travel elsewhere in the world) - though now that I've got a Nexus card, it's much, much easier (best $50 investment I've ever made). I understand why, but I don't doubt that it's real. Yes, they are "picking on" solo travelers solely because they're traveling alone -- pattern recognition and assessing risk is part of their job, so there's no point in denying it. It's a common experience among anyone traveling solo (and there was recently a thread in the Solo Cruisers forum about it).

Do they accept Nexus when coming back from a cruise? I have it. A few years back, I had Global Entry and they said this was only in airports. IO have a cruise in a few weeks and am curious if I should bring my card.

Do they accept Nexus when coming back from a cruise? I have it. A few years back, I had Global Entry and they said this was only in airports. IO have a cruise in a few weeks and am curious if I should bring my card.

I think they are slowly rolling it out at some cruise ports, but I don't know for sure. I take it because I'm flying at both ends of the cruise anyway.

I think they are slowly rolling it out at some cruise ports, but I don't know for sure. I take it because I'm flying at both ends of the cruise anyway.

I think I read somewhere that its only being offered out of Ft. Lauderdale it this time.

I’ve done 7 solo cruises and have never had an issue going through customs. I swear the last time he barely even looked at me. Scanned my passport asked me where I was coming from if I had s good trip and sent me on my way. Not sure why a solo passenger would be flagged over anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve done 7 solo cruises and have never had an issue going through customs. I swear the last time he barely even looked at me. Scanned my passport asked me where I was coming from if I had s good trip and sent me on my way. Not sure why a solo passenger would be flagged over anyone else.

Good morning, did you go back and read all the replies? Your last statement is why I am asking......a solo passenger should not be flagged over anyone else (in theory) but they are anyway...…….there are some custom's agents who think it is odd/strange/weird that some of us travel solo and they have the power to flag whoever they want and in my opinion, it is just easier to stop and question a solo passenger as well.

I have been on 6 solo cruises and I have never been flagged by customs. Now and then some passengers will ask me why I cruise alone. My standard answer is because I can, and then I go on to another subject. I belong to a social club that arranges a cruise every year. I prefer solo cruising and I do not go on their cruises. I like meeting new people and having new experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good morning, did you go back and read all the replies? Your last statement is why I am asking......a solo passenger should not be flagged over anyone else (in theory) but they are anyway...…….there are some custom's agents who think it is odd/strange/weird that some of us travel solo and they have the power to flag whoever they want and in my opinion, it is just easier to stop and question a solo passenger as well.

Yes I did read the replies and as I stated I cruise solo all the time and I’ve never had an issue even after a Transatlantic. Yes these customs agents have the authority to question you and single out whoever they feel. I don’t know if there is a solution to the issue. I’m just sharing my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to travel solo a lot for work and oddly never got questioned about traveling solo as such. The closest I got to that being an issue was the taxi I hired in Costa Rica being stopped by security in the middle of a 4 hour journey. The security guys had me confirm it was a legit hire and not a kidnap attempt. I was half asleep as I was freshly arrived off a long haul flight from Ireland and it was the middle of the night.

Clearing customs off my last cruise the agent asked for a second form of ID, as the photo in my new passport is atrocious I wasn’t massively surprised. I’m actually surprised I never had trouble with my old passport given the sheer number of stamps in it. The photo requirements for new passports in Ireland are such that pretty much anyone looks like a convict in them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums