Death of a spouse

spacewoman

Have a cruise booked for December. It was to celebrate Mom turning 80 and my DH being cancer free. Sepsis and pneumonia took him from me September 5th. I'm still on the fence about going. I think it would have cruise number 17 or 18 for us. We were married for 35 years never traveled separately.

I reached out to my TA with how soon do I need to decide and when do I call the travel insurance company.

her response was this:

Checked with NCL if you cancel your husband off the reservation you only get back $134 and obviously if you don't go because of his death you should receive a full refund with a claim and copy of death certificate. The insurance is AON.

Never had a claim before. Aunt could not go one cruise because my Uncle was severely ill. Insurance reimbursed all but the insurance monies. My Mom did not have to pay for the full cabin price because her sister was not in the cabin.

I don't get it. We got a super sweet deal on this cruise but, when my husband asked me if I would go if he didn't make it, I said no. Part of me feels I should go and just make it my last cruise. This insurance thing though - maybe my thoughts are clear right now but it seems wrong.

Any suggestions/thoughts are appreciated

Kathy

Have a cruise booked for December. It was to celebrate Mom turning 80 and my DH being cancer free. Sepsis and pneumonia took him from me September 5th. I'm still on the fence about going. I think it would have cruise number 17 or 18 for us. We were married for 35 years never traveled separately.

I reached out to my TA with how soon do I need to decide and when do I call the travel insurance company.

her response was this:

Checked with NCL if you cancel your husband off the reservation you only get back $134 and obviously if you don't go because of his death you should receive a full refund with a claim and copy of death certificate. The insurance is AON.

Never had a claim before. Aunt could not go one cruise because my Uncle was severely ill. Insurance reimbursed all but the insurance monies. My Mom did not have to pay for the full cabin price because her sister was not in the cabin.

I don't get it. We got a super sweet deal on this cruise but, when my husband asked me if I would go if he didn't make it, I said no. Part of me feels I should go and just make it my last cruise. This insurance thing though - maybe my thoughts are clear right now but it seems wrong.

Any suggestions/thoughts are appreciated

Kathy

VERY sorry for your loss!

However, you need to call the INSURANCE COMPANY, and not your TA, and ASAP.

There is probably fine print that requires that you contact the insurer in a timely fashion so that no additional penalties are incurred simply because you waited.

For example, the penalty for cancelling, once a deadline is reached, is usually more and more as the sailing date draws closer. The insurer probably won't pay for extra costs just because you didn't notify anyone...

But they are the ones to advise you how to proceed.

Also do explain that you might not yet be sure, and they can advise you whether there is any leeway or not, etc.

Good luck.

GC

VERY sorry for your loss!

However, you need to call the INSURANCE COMPANY, and not your TA, and ASAP.

There is probably fine print that requires that you contact the insurer in a timely fashion so that no additional penalties are incurred simply because you waited.

For example, the penalty for cancelling, once a deadline is reached, is usually more and more as the sailing date draws closer. The insurer probably won't pay for extra costs just because you didn't notify anyone...

But they are the ones to advise you how to proceed.

Also do explain that you might not yet be sure, and they can advise you whether there is any leeway or not, etc.

Good luck.

GC

thank you I will try to call them today

I am so sorry for your loss.

you said you got a sweet deal on the cruise.

my honest opinion is, if this is money you can do without ... I would just decide last minute. You can't know how you'll feel, from one day to the next.

Thank you. This is how you feel at the moment in time