Is travel insurance refundable?

2Long2NxtCrz

I've just booked an Asian cruise for late February 2020, but that's so very far away that I don't necessarily want to drop $300 - $400 on travel insurance right now.

I just booked the cruise and a lot can happen between now and then where we might switch cruises or cancel this one altogether.

Any idea how that works with travel insurance? The cruise fare is fully refundable so does it make any sense to even consider a policy now?

Thanks for your any advice you have!

I've just booked an Asian cruise for late February 2020, but that's so very far away that I don't necessarily want to drop $300 - $400 on travel insurance right now.

I just booked the cruise and a lot can happen between now and then where we might switch cruises or cancel this one altogether.

Any idea how that works with travel insurance? The cruise fare is fully refundable so does it make any sense to even consider a policy now?

Thanks for your any advice you have!

You understand that for many (most?) policies, you only need to insure the usually-small deposit amount. Then add later any other costs, so most of the insurance won't need to be paid until final payment deadline.

And this assumes that you want coverage related to pre-existing conditions or CFAR coverage (Cancel For Any Reason), which usually need to be started within about 10-20 days of first payment.

If not, then the coverage can be started later.

There is also one company that offers those coverage if purchased within 24 hours of final payment, but the coverage is lower, and the CFAR is more expensive.

Call

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

for more information about details.

(Call, don't just look at the online summaries, as the 'fine print' REALLY can matter.)

Also, there's sometimes a 10-day window to cancel and get a refund for the insurance, but that's not much help in your case.

GC

Another thread on this topic just reminded me.

The Travel Insured policies we get (and probably others) will allow one to transfer the coverage to a different trip, within some constraints.

We've done this several times.

Again, the people at TripInsuranceStore can help you find this type of policy.

GC

Another thread on this topic just reminded me.

The Travel Insured policies we get (and probably others) will allow one to transfer the coverage to a different trip, within some constraints.

We've done this several times.

Again, the people at TripInsuranceStore can help you find this type of policy.

GC

I did not know either of the things that you mention. Thank you. I have noted them for future information. I really appreciate the help!